UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:10 AM

The firmware update is available:

Firmware 2.0 Nikon USA

http://support.nikon...=186&p_cv=1.186

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85

#2 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:22 AM

Reports from DPREVIEW users who have upgraded are that the firmware does not affect white ballance of NEFS just as Nikon stated.

Also some are claiming improved auto focus in all modes and improvements to noise performance at high ISO. These are completely unsubstantiated and not claimed by NIKON so you will have to see if this is irrational exuberance.

Nikons' Statement:

Issues addressed with firmware version 2.0
Performance of the 5-area AF system has been improved (Dynamic area and Closest subject AF-area modes).
Changes have been made to the design of menu displays.
Page-size settings can now be applied from the camera with direct printing from a PictBridge-compatible printer.
The number of exposures remaining, displayed in the control panel and viewfinder, when shooting at an image-quality setting of NEF (RAW) or NEF+JPEG Basic has been changed (the number is calculated based on the size of compressed RAW file).
Maximum number of exposures displayed when a 256-MB CompactFlash memory card is used:

Version 2.00:  NEF (RAW):  approx. 44 exposures; NEF+JPEG Basic:  approx. 39 exposures
Version 1.03 or earlier:  NEF (RAW):  approx. 23 exposures; NEF+JPEG Basic:  approx. 21 exposures

The default setting for camera clock has been changed from 2004.01.01 to 2005.01.01. Now you cannot set the clock back to a date before 2004.12.31.
A problem that sometimes caused communication between the camera and computer to be unexpectedly terminated when using Nikon Capture Camera Control has been corrected. (Windows)

Of these I think the improved autofocus and the fixed shot count are the most exciting. I never liked how the D70 handled shot count. I understood why it was like that but it was annoying.

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85

#3 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:52 AM

I herd from at list one that the improvement of the focus mechanism is well noticed.
Personally I'll wait few days with it to see that there aren't any side effects.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#4 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for the "heads up".....done :blink: :huh:

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#5 Detonate

Detonate

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Photography, Off Roading, Rock Climbing, Mt. Biking, etc...

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:04 PM

Posted Image
Excellent

#6 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:28 AM

Hi,
I think AF is surely improved. It is fast & more accurate.

Sam
D800/D4 in modified Nexus housing
and Nauticam D-7000 with Insect-eye lens.

#7 Ponsui

Ponsui

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:11 AM

I am glad to hear that the white balance encryption is not part of the update. I would be very bothered if Nikon decided to include it as an "upgrade".

Cheers,
David.

PS. Karl, let us know if you see any "improvement" with the new firmware. B)

#8 critter

critter

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Photography, scubadiving, underwater photography, golf, camping.

Posted 21 May 2005 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for the heads up downloaded it and updated both camera bodies. Wish I would had this before my trip last week..oh well, thanks..

Tony
Tony
Life is one long surface interval

#9 UWPhotoTech

UWPhotoTech

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:08 AM

Somehting that's not quite clear in the Nikon D70 Firmware 2.0 Updgrade instructions: When copying the firmware to the memory card make sure to copy the "A" Firmware and "B" Firmware separately (or use two cards). If you copy both "A" and "B" Firmware to the card together then only the "B" Firmware will be updated.
Underwater Photo-Tech, Derry, NH
Phone: 603-432-1997, Web: www.uwphoto.com

#10 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:25 AM

Somehting that's not quite clear in the Nikon D70 Firmware 2.0 Updgrade instructions: When copying the firmware to the memory card make sure to copy the "A" Firmware and "B" Firmware separately (or use two cards). If you copy both "A" and "B" Firmware to the card together then only the "B" Firmware will be updated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to copy first the A file and update the firmware, then delete this file from the card, copy the second one and update the B firmware.
Since( as usual :blink: ) I didn’t finished to read all the instructions, I copied the 2 files and it updated me only the B firmware and then after I deleted the B file and ran the update again its updated the A also with no problem.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#11 wade

wade

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:22 AM

Anyone know offhand how to quick-check your firmware version? I am pretty sure mine was updated when purchased back in March, but I want to be positive.

#12 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:35 AM

Go to your menu....look up Firmware version
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#13 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:29 PM

Anyone know offhand how to quick-check your firmware version?  I am pretty sure mine was updated when purchased back in March, but I want to be positive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt you have version 2.0. It was only released last week.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.