Photo
- - - - -

Just bought a G2 and am confused about what flash to buy.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dive-RSQ

Dive-RSQ

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 12:49 PM

Hello

I'm new to the forums and have a couple of questions. I just purchased a Canon G2 and am going on a cruise on November 2-9 Grand Caymans etc. I was told buy someone at Ike that the DS-50 was only good for macro. Also no one has the DS-125 in stock so I almost have to go with the 50. They say 2 to three weeks the ds125 is backordered. Should I wait and get the 125 or will the 50 do ok for the first time out.

#2 Tuga

Tuga

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 06:00 PM

Dive RSQ,

I assume you have an Ikelite house for your G2...

I have been using my G2 for quite a while without the stobe for the same reason and I've been very happy with the pix. I just got the ds125 in the water for the first time this morning.

I didn't have the best viz to work with but the strobe with the sensor worked flawlessly in TTL. It will require some learning to get the aiming right so I'm glad I got used to the camera without the strobe first.

I got the DS125 from B&H Photo online just last week. They were out for a long time but may still have in stock now. Not sure about the DS50.

I'm no expert, but i decided that if I was going to get a strobe, I might as well get the more power.

Good luck!

#3 Dive-RSQ

Dive-RSQ

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 09:22 AM

Actually I haven't purchased a housing but liked what I have heard about the Ikelite housing for the G2. So I was going to go with the
#6142 Digital Housing for $629.95

and the

#3944.72 Substrobe DS-125 Digital Package for $892.50.

I just received my G2 about an hour so have to start getting used to that. Do you have any tips on the housing/flash setup for a newbie or anything else I may be missing.

Thanks

Jay

#4 Tuga

Tuga

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 10:01 PM

Jay

I paid 614.95 for the housing from B&H and $649.95 for the strobe kit. The housing is the same as you mentioned (#6142) but the stobe pkg I got was #3944.65. #3944.72 has the ball socket which I assume is better. I didn't know about that one.

My only disappointment is that the strobe system I got had a dumb charger. The smart one sounds much better but I didn't know about that til after the purchase either. You might want to look into that.

I mentioned a few things on the tips section of this forum that may be some help. I'll keep you informed as I learn more.

You can check out some of my pix at the address below. They are all without the stobe for now.

Have fun!

#5 Dive-RSQ

Dive-RSQ

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 08:06 AM

Hey Tuga,

Your pics look great. Makes me think I can get by with just the housing my first time out. Which will make my wife happy. Instead of spending 1500 I can get away with 600 and learn more about it.

Any tips with handing the G2, ISO focus mode that sort of thing. Again I wont be buying the flash setup till later so it will be the on camera flash.

Thanks

Jay

#6 Tuga

Tuga

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 01:48 PM

Jay,

I use AV for almost everything. I bracket the fstop + or- one for most shots that I think were worth it. Continuous focus is a must. I have a 256 card so I can shoot about 120 of the highest rez pix on one card. I usually do 2 shore dives a day and have no problem keeping a freshly charged battery up.

I went out on a boat a couple of weeks ago and did 3 dives for a total u/w time of 3 1/2 hrs. I had the camera powered up the whole time with no battery problem. The screen display sleeps once in a while but I usually wake it up quickly.

I haven't used the raw format yet but I plan to experiment with it later after I have mastered the new strobe.

Other than that, everything is pretty much auto. I was hoping to get in 5 or six dives today and tomorrow to play with the strobe but we got a major rain storm here and the water is like mud. Guess I'll have to play with photoshop until next week :blink:

Have fun!

Tuga

#7 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 10:54 PM

Hi Jay.

I've been using the G2 in Ike housing, with the ds50 and digital slave, for nearly a year, and am very happy. Several folks around here are doing so.

You can see a few results at my pbase site, below.

I plan to get a ds125 soon, to add to it. I often would shoot my n90s with an ike SS200 and SS50, for contrasting lighting...

I love the tiny travel weight, and form factor underwater, compared to a full size 35mm SLR and housing rig.

So far, none of the other strobe folks give TTL flash exposure control, with the G2, or any other P&S digi. Ike rocks.

Don
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave