Photo

Introductions (original thread, now closed)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
304 replies to this topic

#1 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 01:36 PM

Hi guys --

I'm Eric. I administer this site in my spare time. I am a software engineer, musician, and have been taking photos underwater since April of 2001.

More information than you ever will want to know about me at: http://echeng.com. :P
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#2 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 01:27 AM

Helloooooooo....?

Come on, guys! Spill it! Who are you, where are you from, and what do you do (other than take pictures underwater)? :P
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#3 Abriaqua

Abriaqua

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 04:49 AM

Hi Eric and everyone ... :P
My name is Abri , I am a South African scuba instructor currently working in Thailand . Have recently bought a Canon G2 and Ikelite housing , so will soon be bugging all of you with newbie questions . (Don't worry , will first look in threads for answers)
I am an avid freediver and spearfisherman but only hunt reef fish with camera .

#4 Nemo

Nemo

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 03:18 PM

My name is Mike, I own a manufacturing co. (Yes we contract produce some dive gear) Im from upstate NY and so most of my diving in the No. Atlantic, Great Lakes and the North Sea. With an occasional trip to warm water thrown in. Been diving since 1972, university trained in scientific diving in the late 70's, mixed gas trained in 90's. Been shooting film on and off for most if this time. Went digital in 2001, Oly 4040 in a Tetra with strobes.
Nemo - D70 + 17-55mm, 70 - 200 VR, 35 f2, 10.5, Sigma 15, 60 Macro, Nexus D70 housing, Optima CCR & more dive gear than the ave. store

#5 luminary

luminary

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 05:32 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm Matt...I'm a software engineer in Tampa, FL. Lots of interests, but the biggest ones are saltwater aquariums, SCUBA, my corvette and of course photography! Been shooting underwater with my little ole Reefmaster for several years. Last year I decided to step up my knowledge a bit...Bought a C4040 as a learning camera...Hoping on moving up to a DSLR in the next year!
Matt

#6 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 03:05 PM

I'm Todd. As some may know I am a Partner of a Chartered Accounting firm in Canada. I have been a Divemaster for 6 years. I also am the president a mountain bike racing club. And enjoyed riding in Moab this year.

I actually met my wife while on a dive trip. I am a proud new father of 5 months (son Merreck...means "ruler of the sea")

Yes, I have been ice diving although contrary to what some may believe that is only in the dead of winter. It was hotter here than in the Bahamas on my last trip with Eric. I enjoy a good bottle of American Cabernet Sauvignonand have adopted three retired racing greyhounds.

I switched to digital photography this year a result of knowing Jim Watt. My last trips I have been fortunate to get to dive with a number of pros and great non pros (OB1). And, I love diving with sharks, especially great hammerheads, they are a truly impressive and beautiful animal to see.

ps Eric forgot to mention his like of Bengal cats.
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#7 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1522 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 25 October 2002 - 04:33 PM

I'm Bill. We met Eric and Dave Breitigam on the Kona Trip last year. My day job (that supports diving) is doing science trying to cure diabetes. Waiting for my Sea and Sea D60 housing, just got back from a live-aboard in Fiji where we shot lots of video (digital of course) and also some stills with a 4040 in an Oly housing using a Sea and Sea CW video light instead of strobe. Works quite nicely.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#8 pcourty

pcourty

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft, golf, photography

Posted 29 October 2002 - 12:21 AM

Hello
My name is Pierre. I live in the south of France near the Mediterranean Sea.
I develop a web site " The world of the underwater photography" ( french and english) for beginner and ..... more.
I use a Nikonos V with 15mm, 35mm. I follow the evolution of digital camera and I describe on my site this type of equipment.
http://www.underwaterphotographie.com
Good Surf and Good Dives
Pierre Courty
:blink:
Pierre Courty
Montpellier France
Nikonos V and RS, SB105,

The world of the underwater photography

#9 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 06:26 AM

I guess I should join in too - especially since I'm a moderator now.

I'm originally from California, but I live in Houston TX now. I'm a deepwater engineer specializing in deepwater pipeline design and construction. No, I don't get to dive for work - no one does. That's because the project I'm working on is in 6,000 feet of water! I like to get offshore on the weekends with my friend David in his sportfish called "Per Diem." I used to have my captains license, so it's nice to drive a boat from time to time. I also like to surf and sail. If it's too rough to go fishing, then go surfing, and vice versa!

I'm really into "everything marine." I have been keeping reef aquaria since 1993 and I help run a saltwater aquarium site called www.reefs.org. I have some pictures of my tank online at www.reefs.org/ops/jameso

I've only been diving since 1999 and shooting pix since 2000. I started with a coolpix 990 and not strobe and have been slowly working my way up the food chain. You can see some of my photos at www.reefpix.org

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#10 Kanankeban

Kanankeban

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 03:57 PM

Hi guys...
My name is Hector Quintanilla, I studied Architecture and have a Masters Degree In Architectural Design, althought I just do Architecture for me...I build and rent. The money comes from computers...Im into systems consulting. I also teaching at a university 3D Visualization.
Born in May 14 1967, so if you do the math, Im 35 years old. Married 2 years ago with a lovely local T.V. artist :blink:
Love computers, internet, and water!!! My father got me into photography some time ago, and I went digital with a Coolpix 990, sold it, and waiting to decide if I go with a Canon D60, D100 or a Coolpix 5000.
Did some diving every time I could, but never got certified until last july...I got My open water in Maui, and did some awesome diving in Maui and Kona. Since then I have about 20 dives in my log...Last week did Cozumel, 2 hours from here by plane, and cheap also (for me!)...and also awesome so youll be seeing lots of pictures taken ther in the future, will be my practice area...
I cant wait to work more, earn more money...to waste it on my trips :), so hope to find some of you guys maybe in the future while in a trip...
Regards...
Hector

#11 jsparks

jsparks

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 03:59 PM

Hi All,

My name is Jeremy and I'm in management at a enterprise software company in the SF Bay Area. I have been diving since early 2001, and I'm was officially hooked from the start. I started taking UW photos at the beginning of 2002, and it is now one of my primary hobbies.

I have a started a small gallery with some photo samples, so enjoy.

I am currently using a Canon G2 in an Ikelite housing with a DS-125 strobe. I am looking to get an additional strobe pretty soon.

Happy Diving!

Jeremy

#12 DivinDiva

DivinDiva

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 04:00 PM

Hi everyone,
My name is Sandy. I am a Registered Nurse from PA. Since there's no good diving in PA my husband and I do alot of travelling. We got certified in 1995 and fell in love with the sport. We help crew on a boat in North Carolina in the summers called "the Diver Down" and take at least 3 trips to warmer climates in the off season.
I have always enjoyed photography so once I started diving I bought my first camera Sea & Sea MX10. I probably haven't done 5 dives without a camera. It's part of my equipment. I progressed to Sea & sea MMII and just recently turned digital with Aquatica 995 w/ Nikonos Sb 105 strobe.

I really enjoyed this site. Lots of great tips and seemingly (LOL) knowledgable people. Can't wait to share my photos with you and maybe someday some wisdom.

Sandy
Nikon Coolpix 995, Aquatica A995 housing, Nikonos SB105 strobe/Infinity strobe arm

#13 petesim

petesim

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 07:10 PM

hi eric and gang.
Im pete from Singapore. Im currently using the Olympus 3040 and hoping to get the Light and Motion housing soon.
Ive taken UW pics on film and i'm in the transition of moving to digital.
Ive been recreationally (if there's ever a word like that :blink: ) diving for more than 10 years now.
I enjoy this site alot and think the pics taken on Kona are the best ever!
Good job eric.

pete

#14 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 08:07 PM

OK, now which pictures from Kona are we talking about here...:blink:

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#15 Dee

Dee

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 07:56 PM

Hello....I'm located just east of Houston. I got certified in 1997 and did my first dive with a MX-10 in hand. I've done very few dives without one. Started with the MX-10 for a couple years then moved on to a S&S MMII-EX and fell farther in love with macro. I was getting really tired of the double strobe mad-spider thing and film in general so this spring I went digital with an Oly C-4040/PT-10/S&S YS90-DX. I'm really enjoying the smaller size as well as all the advantages of digital.

I've been a DM for about 4 years and enjoy working with students but what I like even more is mentoring those new divers who are really serious about their diving and are eager to start the real learning stage. I've been a seamtress for years, owned a quilt shop for several years, and now make do-rags for divers. Dee-Rags

Aquariums have been a part of life since I was a child. I think I've had alittle bit of everything over the years! James, I think I've talked to you a few times over on Reef.org. Didn't realize it was you!

#16 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 08:27 PM

Dee:

It's a small world, eh? :-)

I have some new shots of my tank (they kinda suck though) up at:

www.reefs.org/ops/jameso/

Wish me luck, Monday is the Houston Underwater Photo Society's first digital UW photo contest - the subject is Wideangle.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#17 Kanankeban

Kanankeban

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 12:30 PM

Hey James,
What camera did you get after you sold your Coolpix 5K ?

#18 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 12:32 PM

Fuji S2pro

See the Reviews on this site for my review of the S2 and Ikelite housing.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#19 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 02:00 PM

Hey all. I work for a software company out of San Jose and live in NJ, near tons of nice cold wreck diving with limited visibiltiy!

I started diving about 15 years ago, took about 13 years off, and started back up again in early 2001. Since then, I've done about 100 dives in everything from a quarry in PA, to NJ, to Hatteras, to Cozumel, Nassau, and Truk. Like most everyone else here, I enjoy diving and photography (topside too), and I also enjoy hiking, motorcycling, and snowboarding.

Right now, my rig consists of a Sony DSC-S85 in an Ikelite housing with a DS-50 strobe, but I'm hoping to house my D60 early next year before my second trip to Truk.

Love the site, and I've definitely learned a lot from it. Thanks Eric, and most recently James. James, I wish you'd gotten a D60 instead of an S2 so i could piggy back on your experiences, damn incompatible lense mounts...
:blink:

Tom

#20 snoack

snoack

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 08:34 AM

Hi all,

i'm located in Munich, Germany and work as a freelance software consultant.
I started diving in 1992, bought my first camera in 1995 (guess what: MX10) and went digital in 2001 with an Olympus 3030Z in a PT010. I recently added a strobe (YS90DX) and a macro lens to my rig and plan to buy a wa lens and a second strobe soon.
My husband is taking digital uw videos since 1999 (whenever he has a chance to drown a new rig :ph34r: )
There are many lakes with good visibility around where we live, but the water turned out to be way too cold for us - we go on 2-3 dive trips a year instead.
Favorite locations are the Red Sea (rather close and cheap) and Indonesia.

Sabine