Photo

Introductions (original thread, now closed)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
304 replies to this topic

#221 carib-blu

carib-blu

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Sundays- 2 tank a.m., Nascar p.m.

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:00 PM

A toast to Eric and all the admins.....wishing all that you wish for be the least that you get!!!! St. Paddy's on the morn and all of us in the Cayman Islands wish you fair winds!!!! This site just keeps getting better and better....so much talent, and the obvious passion for what we do! Keep going kids!!! See you on the safety stop!

Aurabest,
john
Do Something Nice for Yourself...GO DIVING!!

Nikon D100, Titan Housing, YS120's, 10.5, 17-35, 60, 105, MAGIC FILTERS!

#222 mdshope

mdshope

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:39 PM

Hello, I am new to this board although I have been observing as a guest for some time now. My name is Michael Shope. I live just outside of Charlotte, NC in the small town of Dallas. I am a Network Manager for a telecomm Co. In my spare time I am a Dive Master for Sea World Divers of Hickory, NC (still trying to transition into an instructor) I have been diving for awhile now. Taking pictures with a Sea and Sea Motor Marine II EX for the last nine years. I am about to jump into the world of Digital, SLR, and Dual Strobes all at once. My 20D, Ike housing and strobes are on there way :D I will spend my spare time looking through out these forums trying to gather all the knowledge I can get. I can't post images to critique yet as I have no digital ones. I look forward to that day though.

Regards,
Michael D Shope
www.scubashots.net

#223 cuberoot3i

cuberoot3i

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:tec dive

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:28 AM

hi, i john. currently unemployed and loving it. stuck in pa. (girlfriend thing) been diving since '82 when i was in the marines. just stated taking pictures(girlfriend thing again) during an ice diving trip.i mostly like to dive lomg and deep but will settle for diving anywhere. got season pass for dutch springs for those in the northeast, maybe we can meet some sat. night. :D

#224 morrisr

morrisr

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:water and sun in any tropical location - I need it!<br />beer and tequila and rum (not in that order)<br />Photography<br />Belly dancing<br />Marine biology<br />Travel

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:58 AM

Hi there,
I'm new to the site, but already I've found it to be really useful, thanks!
I'm a 26yr marine biologist working for the smithsonian in maryland...I mostly dive for work (AAUS certified), and have actually done very little 'fun' diving. Had to dive in lakes in canada to take sediment cores for mecury analysis, and dove in bimini for reef surveys. Currently I'm doing projects in Belize at Carrie Bow Caye, which is amazing...and also working on Chesapeake Bay jellyfish, but diving there is not so much fun. I have to take underwater stills and video for work, but photography in general is one of my hobbies. Another favorite hobby is belly dancing, and I'm in a performance troupe that dances in the maryland area.
Thanks for all the friendly support and info!
Becs

#225 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:26 PM

Hi Y'all and welcome to Wetpixel.

James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#226 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:12 PM

Hi there,

Quite recently I joined wetpixel, because i was looking for a proper underwater photography forum.

I’ve been diving for 10 years, with most dives at home in temperate waters (Netherlands). I usually rather drive then fly to holidays, so my holidays have been to the mediterrenean (Spain/France), Atlantic destinations such as Galicia and Britanny , and Scotland (where i have visited Scapa Flow twice. The only tropical trip I took was to the red sea.

This year (after a false start last year) I started underwater photography using a Minolta dynax 7xi in an Ikelite underwater housing. (50mm macro lens mostly, also have an 24 mm wide angle and a dome port). I think i made about 20 photo dives now.

Since there is a HP scanner with a film scan facility at work, (scans might be not that brilliant, but it will be possible to share some pics for feedback) i can pose a bit as a digidiver once in a while.

I am a marine biologist turned into an environmental consultant, with the occasional sigh to get back into marine biology. I enjoy cycling every now and then (I was more active in it before), but my main sport next to diving is Rugby Union.

My nickname Cerianthus is after a beautiful anemone that is also sometimes present in my own waters. I plan to add a “ home made” pic of a Mediterranean species to my profile. My real name is Gerard.

Since starting taking pix under water, my interest in diving has increased, even if it means getting in low viz sand quarries.

Gerard
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#227 carib-blu

carib-blu

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Sundays- 2 tank a.m., Nascar p.m.

Posted 18 August 2005 - 03:42 AM

Welcome to the world of wetpixel! You have arrived at a place where you can gain so much information about our sport. This site is full of "World Class" photographers and World Class people. Very friendly and you can always find answers to questions. Use it, enjoy it, let us know how you're doing! Good Luck Gerard!

Aurabest,
john
Do Something Nice for Yourself...GO DIVING!!

Nikon D100, Titan Housing, YS120's, 10.5, 17-35, 60, 105, MAGIC FILTERS!

#228 deep3dude

deep3dude

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography, kayaking.

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:27 AM

Old threads never die they just get added too.

I live on Vancouver Island in Victoria BC and have been diving for about 8 years / 750 dives but only with a camera in hand for about 70 of them. I love diving here despite the extra gear but also love warmer, clearer tropical reef diving.

I upgraded from a P&S camera and housing with 1 ds50 strobe to a dual ds125, & a Canon 10D in an Ikelite housing recently and somewhere during the process discovered this excellent informant site.

When I first started diving I thought I would never use an underwater camera but digital cameras made me eat my own words. I take pictures mostly for myself as I enjoy the challenges of getting better. Reading this site has made me realise just how much enjoyment I still have to experience as the excellent work I see here amazes me.

Thanks for any help for might provide a relative novice .... Tim Campbell

http://www.shutterfr...lery/Underwater

#229 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:07 AM

Hi Tim, i too used to enjoy those waters....then i got smart :P

Great to have you here, maybe some day i will stop being a chicken and dive the island again...maybe being the key word there...

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#230 deep3dude

deep3dude

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography, kayaking.

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:56 AM

I just reviewed your web pages, I would stay 'smart' for as long as you can.

#231 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:51 AM

Hi Everyone,

My name is Ellen and I live in Portland, OR. I am a Certified Public Accountant. I have been diving since 1998 and been shooting pics u/w since about 2000. I got hooked when I rented an MX-5 in Cozumel on my first dive trip after being certified. Soon after that I bought a Nik V and currently own the 15mm (Sea & Sea), 20mm, 28mm, 35mm lenses and extension tubes. I have previously resisted going digital, but now I'm ready to make the move. I started posting here so I could learn before I make the plunge, so to speak. I'm thinking of buying a D70 and, if finances permit, a Nexus housing.

I have been fortunate enough to have dived in the Sea of Cortez (where I first learned to dive at Club Med) , Cozumel (2x), Curacao, Turks and Caicos, the Red Sea, the Flower Gardens, the Florida Keys, Hawaii, Okinawa and right here in the Pacific Northwest in Puget Sound.

I've been posting for many years on D2D at Rodales. I've also been lurking and occaisonally posting on the uwphoto list. The names of some of you are familiar to me. Good to see you here!

I took a family trip to Japan this summer and, while there, had the distinct pleasure of meeting Chris Bangs. He had invited me to visit him once he found out about my Japan visit from a post I'd made on uwphoto. I spent a day with him, a day which I will not soon forget. I guess that has been the impetus for me to get back into u/w photography and to go digital. For a few years, my expensive hobby was on hold while paying for my daughter's education at the University of Miami. She just graduated in May, so I can again justify spending tons of $$$ on my hobby :) Oh, and of course, I went diving in the Keys while in Miami for her college graduation :)

I'm quickly finding out that this is a great place to learn about digital u/w photography. Thanks to everyone for helping to make it all possible.

Kind regards,

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#232 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:22 AM

Welcome Ellen,

Good to have you here.

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#233 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:35 AM

Hi Ellen,

Welcome to Wetpixel! I'm glad you got to meet up with Chris. We stopped over in Japan on our way back from Bali and met up w/ Chris also. We only had enough time to tour around Narita, but it was well worth it:

Posted Image

You got to see their hotel and everything right? I'm jealous!

Good to have you here.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#234 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:17 AM

Hi James,

Yes, I went up to their hotel, traveling up to the Nasushiobara stop on the shinkansen (bullet train) where Chris picked me up. I spent the night actually at his home and then we went to the hotel for breakfast the next morning. Got a chance to see some of his pics displayed on the walls of the hotel. Pretty impressive to say the least. Chris also took me to the onsen (hot spring) where his wife and I went bathing. To top it all off, he gave me a copy of his anemone pic that currently graces the centerfold of the Sport Diver September issue. You can easily see why it was a day I won't soon forget!

As soon as I can figure out how to post a pic here, I'll post the picture I took of Chris at the hotel. He must like to wear the shirt in your pic, because it looks like it's the same one he's wearing in my pic!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

#235 Dozindave

Dozindave

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:18 AM

Hi everyone
My name is David I am an Engineering manager at a Tool and Die shop where I also am a Die Maker I live in Michigan and dive inland lakes and the Great Lakes and manage to go to the caribean a couple times a year (gota thaw out). I have been shooting film untill my recent investment in a 20d and am currently rounding up equipment for it. I am eager to learn what I can.

#236 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:30 AM

Hi David, welcome to Wetpixel! I am sure you will find tons of useful information here, this site helped me a lot during my transition from film to digital.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#237 Chris Bangs

Chris Bangs

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:58 PM

Hi James,

As soon as I can figure out how to post a pic here, I'll post the picture I took of Chris at the hotel.  He must like to wear the shirt in your pic, because it looks like it's the same one he's wearing in my pic!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Ellen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Ellen and welcome!

I only have one shirt with buttons! A polo is formal for chris!
Nikon D70s,Fuji S2, And Misc Nikon/Nikonos film gear collecting dust.
Ikelite and Aquatica Housings
Nikon 12-24 mm, 10.5 mm, 16 mm, 60 mm, 105 mm, 200 mm micro. Sigma 14 mm. + stacks of diopters and teleconverters
Many outdated flashy thingys with aluminum tinker toys to connect them to the cameras.

#238 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:18 AM

Hi Chris,

Hmmm.....fancy running into you here :D

So that explains why you were wearing the same shirt.

Probably a good policy to have only one. Leaves more money for u/w photography toys :D

All the best,

Ellen

#239 dashark

dashark

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 11:18 AM

Hello,
My name is Danny , and I am a Firefighter for Los Angeles County. Me and my wife try to get wet as often as possible. She is not a big fan of cold water diving, so, we try to travel as much as our 2yo son will allow. I end up diving the channel islands without her as much as i can in between trips.
Our favorite place to dive so far is Fiji.
We just got back from Belize and were dissapointed with the diving.
As far as Photography, we are waiting for our first uw setup. I have used this forum to help guide me in the right direction.
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I'm sure i will frequent the sight in the near future to guide me through using our new setup.
Stay safe....
Danny
Danny

#240 pixie

pixie

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 01:15 PM

Hi my name is Julia and for my sins I dive in the lovely green and murky waters of the UK, this makes being an underwater photgrapher a bit of a challenge but hey, it makes it all the better when you get some decent results.

I used to have an olympus 5050 but i drowned it... I have just taken delivery of a 7070WZ to replace it.

I took it to the Farne Islands last weekend (off the North East coast of England) and got the opportunity to take a few pics of grey seals.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am pretty happy with these for a first outing.

I am starting to have a go with shooting in RAW and have started using RAW Shooter Essentials so I am right at the bottom of a new learning curve with both trhe camera and processing. Looking forward to getting hints an dtips from you guys

Jules