Photo

Introductions (original thread, now closed)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
304 replies to this topic

#41 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 03:32 AM

Welcome. Do you know Todd alias Yahsemetough? I believe he's from your neck of the woods.

The Brits are invading BC in August (Port Hardy trip). Lock up your lenses!

Mark
Dirk Pitt taught me everything!!!!
E10/Titan housing/1 x Sea & Sea 90 Duo

#42 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 07:15 AM

Mark potentially by car they could be 20 hours from where I am. I am inland 2 provinces over from them.

Although I have talked to a couple of them out on the coast.
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#43 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 07:32 AM

Todd, give Mark a break, you've got to remember, he's from a country that's about the size of a large US state, and doesn't really have a sense of the size of Canada...

Kidding... :)

#44 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 07:44 AM

Are you questioning Marks intelligence?

He's British or Scottish or something...oh, what's the difference anyway?LOL

I have to admit he may know more about Canada than a lot of my new friends to the south. For example my wife, being American had never heard of Saskatchewan before she moved here.

ps People we don't live in igloos! Although right now it is bloody cold. On the scale with the windchill it hit -43 yesterday. No need to put C or F as there is not difference. Hell has frozen over!

2nd ps My last trip to the Bahamas in the summer was cooler than back home. We were in the high 90's. We see both ends here but, it's a "dry cold"LOL
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com

#45 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 08:40 AM

He's British or Scottish or something...oh, what's the difference anyway?LOL

Something will do!

Yeah but 20 hours drive is nothing for you eskimos!

Mush!!

#46 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 08:46 AM

I just hate having to get out of my igloo, on that dog sled for two days to go to the US border to plug the extension cord back it when someone kicks it out in the middle of the hockey game.
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com

#47 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 08:52 AM

Saskatchewan

Isn't that just another name for BigFoot?

#48 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 08:55 AM

I just hate having to get out of my igloo, on that dog sled for two days to go to the US border to plug the extension cord back it when someone kicks it out in the middle of the hockey game.

Try one of these. Should save a day or so!

#49 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 08:58 AM

Tom I like that. I have to admit that is a new one. You cracked me up!

But do you know where it is without looking? If you haven't already looked.
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com

#50 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 09:05 AM

Todd, I don't know where Oklahoma is without looking at a map, so there's a pretty good chance I don't know where Saskatchewan is. :) That being said, I could probably narrow it down if I had a map with no names on it...

Despite my limited mapping ability, I do know where Cozumel, Grand Cayman, the Bahamas, Chuuk, West Palm Beach, Hatteras NC, and the Florida Keys are!!!

#51 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 05:30 AM

Hello everyone!

I am new to digital underwater and am out here to learn from you old hands. Which I have been already looking through the notice boards.

For digital - I use a D100 in a Subal housing. Which is great.

My particular interest in digital are the areas where I can get pictures I can't on film, such as the control that digital offers over white balance. Which is FANTASTIC! I see digital as a companion (with a different set of skills) to film at the moment, and not yet a replacement. But there is no doubt it will be.

I am a marine biologist and work at the UK's Southampton Oceanography Centre on plankton! I am 27 and also look after the Young Underwater Photographer's website YUP.

My main underwater camera is a Nikon F100 again dressed in Subal. But I also use a Hasselblad when I want high high quality. Which when scanned at 4000dpi is 92megapixel rather better than 6 on the D100.

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#52 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 07:39 AM

I am a marine biologist and work at the UK's Southampton Oceanography Centre on plankton! I am 27 and also look after the Young Underwater Photographer's website YUP.

Hi Alex,

Its good to have a fellow Brit on board. Look forward to seeing some pics.

YUP.......interesting! I see your membership expires in 3yrs!!

How about setting up a new site for us 'old uns' over 30. How about calling it OAP!! :)

Mark

#53 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 07:47 AM

Oh great another one!

Sound familiar
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com

#54 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 08:01 AM

Us Brits have to stick together you know! There's not that many of us on wetpixel.

#55 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 07:17 AM

I do think that Brits have been slower than the North Americans and my friends in SE Asia and Japan in embracing digital cameras.

But I am pleased to report that I presented a digital addendum to the talk on swimming pool photography at this weeks meeting of the British Society of Underwater Photography BSOUP.

There are few guys I know using D1s in custom built housings and plenty who have a small digi compact. But few are trading in their 35mm stuff. I am working on them, but their is still a long way to go!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#56 Patterns

Patterns

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 09:41 PM

Hi, I'm David.

Originally trained as a maths teacher, but discovered my decision-making style is completely inappropriate for classroom teaching. The resulting stresses probably would have (literally) killed me if I didn't quit... so now I'm an actuary, working (70% of full-time) in a consultancy in Hong Kong. Everyone else thinks this job is stressful but after my 18 months of hell as a teacher I don't find anything to complain about here!

The great thing about being an actuary is that I don't need to work full time to support my diving habit! Although I don't dive Hong Kong (vis is pretty awful), it's quite a good base for diving throughout SE Asia.

For about 5 years I went snorkelling every chance I could get, saying "I don't want to learn to dive yet because I'm sure I'll like diving, so I guess I'll spend a lot of money on it once I start". I was right ... I started diving exactly 2 years ago, will do my 200th dive next week. I have had a camera with me on almost every dive, because I bought an MX-10 some years ago for snorkelling.

First underwater digital camera was Sony P5 in a MPK-5 (bought about 6 months ago), but I got too frustrated with the white balance limitations and recently got an Oly 5050. Just about to try out my new DS-50 strobe with that.

Lots to learn ... I appreciate all the useful info I have picked up at Wetpixel!

-David

#57 donauw

donauw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 11:38 PM

Hi all -

donauw is Don Dixon living in Wausau, Wisconsin and Big Pine Key, Florida, USA. I am not a pro - practice Emergency Medicine to support my dive and photo habits.

Diving since 1996, shooting uw almost as long. First with Minolta in Ikelite housing, then Nikonos V (after flooding the Ike housing), then with F100 in Sea & Sea NX100 Pro, now with D100 in Sea & Sea DX-D100. I've been shooting digital topside for 5 years (Olympus point/shoot, Nikon D1 for two years, and now Nikon D100) and have scanned much of my uw work in the past. I'm anxious to get use of the D100 uw now! Current setup is the D100, Nikon 14mm f2.8 AFD, Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 AFS, Nikon 60 mm macro and twin Ikelite 200s. I travel with small Sony laptop and HP 200e DVD burner - shoot RAW and burn my files directly onto DVDs.

Most of my diving is in the Keys and Great Lakes (summer only - no ice diving, thanks). Trips have included Roatan, Utila, Channel Islands, Palau, Truk, Silver Banks (whales) and Galapagos. I dive a Drager Dolphin in the Keys and on trips where there is rebreather support. (I continue to be amazed by how little impact my presence has on marine life with the rebreather c/w open circuit)

This is so much more fun than work!

Don Dixon
http://www.dixonphotos.net

#58 herwin

herwin

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 02:42 AM

hello !!
i am herwin from amsterdam. sometimes i scuba dive, but usually i snorkeldive, as my prefered way to explore the beautiful marine life. i usual go to a depht of six meter, but deepest depht was 21 meter while making a photo from a passing seaturtle , with my NIKONOS. This camera was stolen at Bocas del Toro , Panama, :angryfire: , going with the digital flow, i now have a c40-40z olympus with a pt-010 housing. i could use my sb 105 flashlight (strobe mode) but prefer natural light. some of my pics are on my home page, they are from japan, honduras, costa rica, egypt. http://members.ams.c...undtheworld.htm
can anybody tell me what this smile means :ph34r: ??
catch ya all later!

#59 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 03:12 PM

I think that is the "ninja smile." :)

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#60 grasshopper

grasshopper

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 07:14 PM

[FONT=Times]
I'm Sean and stumbled upon this site when I had the money depleting idea of taking up U/W photography as a new hobby. Currently I have an Olympus c3040z housed in a ziplock bag, but I plan to sell my "first born" (granted that wont get much, especially since I don't even have a "babymaker" to create such a creature) for some equipment prior to my trip to Bonaire in April 2003.
I dwell in San Francisco (it sucks :angryfire: , contrary to popular myth, but fun to visit I'm sure) and I pay rent (barely) by slaving away at UCSF as a neuroradiology fellow.
In case you didn't know, you guys are 'fricken hard core' about U/W photography, but it's payed off, because the pics are amazing. So now I know what I want to be when I grow up.
Other hobbies that I actually have a shred of knowledge about: mountain biking, snowboarding, surfing, white water kayaking, fly fishing (ok, I'm not so hot at this last one, but I sure appear adept in those waders).

SOB (my mom's Swedish, so she had no idea of the connotation of these initials ;))