25 replies to this topic

#21 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:10 AM

Jurg:

Just go to my gallery at http://www.reefpix.o...ery/underwater/ and you can find the photo there - without the black scribbling on it.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#22 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6177 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 28 May 2005 - 02:55 AM

But don't trust my memory - check the manual!
RAW makes it less essential to do this on stills while underwater because you can set the WB in ACR or equivalent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Read the manual!?!? Oh how anti manly that is... :o
But guess i will dig it out of whatever box it is in and have a look

So am working on PS at the moment and converting RAW files, however can't find an eyedropper for the WB in the PS RAW plug in. Maybe in Nikon Capture there is a WB eyedropper?
What i usually do is once the image is in PS i go to curves and open the info box and then either set a black point (changed the default to 8) or a white point (changed that default to 244)

Works pretty well most of the time, and definitely gets rid of the sort of cloudy sheen so often prevalent on images, especially scanned ones.

Guess i am dragging this thread off topic now eh? oops

Mike

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#23 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:08 AM

Mike see the attached image of where the dropper is.

I don't see this as off topic at all. Lots of useful info being exchanged in this discussion. Keep it coming!

Alex

p.s. Sorry about suggesting the manual. It was sunny here on Friday - a rare event in England - and clearly I wasn't thinking straight!

Attached Images

• dropper.jpg

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#24 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6177 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:17 AM

Aha, cheers Alex! The labelling made me laugh too.

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#25 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2102 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 28 May 2005 - 05:36 AM

Isn't this a bit technocratic?
Despite a background in zoology and medicine (?!) I thought that this was an artistic endeavour?
I've been using an entirely subjective method, shooting in RAW, optimising and converting to a Photoshop compatible format, and then using "channel mixer", usually swapping some green channel data into the red channel.
Shallow reefs and sharks have come up very well, very comparable to URPro filtered images that I've seen, and avoiding the necessity of finding a white/neutral grey target.
Perhaps I'll try the "objective" method too. The camera never lies (!).

#26 queenlobster

queenlobster

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:36 AM

Have been reading this thread and wondered how far does the camera have to be from the slate to set white balance? I shoot an Olympus 5050 and am going to Galapagos in August. I have a Magic Filter and will try shooting ambient light (no strobes) on the strong current dives. With the Magic Filter, it says reset white balance every 2 meters, not a problem, easy on the 5050; will use wide angle. I put camera in housing (Lights and Motion) and tried outside to see if slate was big enough ... not quite large enough ... also, does it matter if I am zoomed out or do I have to be zoomed in? If zoomed out, I think it should be large enough .... :)