• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kwagga

kwagga

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:09 AM

I am new to digital photography and am thinking of buying a Canon powershot S70,but i can't seem to find out if i will be able to set the exposure levels and appeture settings manually.
I am looking for a point and shoot that i can use manually but not be too compromised in manual settings.Any other camera sugestions will be gratefully accepted

#2 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:34 PM

Hi kwagga,

Welcome to wetpixel. The S70 is a good choice for housing UW. The S70 will enable you to set aperture and shutter speed manually. http://www.dpreview.com has a good review on the camera if you require further information.

You may also want to consider the Fuji F810 with an Ikelite housing. A number of people are using this camera underwater and finding it excellent. Like the S70 it features manual adjustment and a RAW mode (ideal for UW). Unlike the S70 it focuses very fast even in low light underwater.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#3 allen

allen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:I spend most of my time alpine climbing, hiking, mtn. biking, or skiing. When I can get away it is to travel for climbing or diving. Been doing this nonsense for way too long to do anything different.

Posted 02 July 2005 - 08:11 AM

Anthony is correct about the S70 and the low light focusing. This was the show stopper for me. I did a bunch of test shooting topside comparing it my current digital (Contax TVS Digital) that is three years old and can not be housed. The Contax would nail it everytime whereas the S70 would not. I also test shot the Canon G6 which did alot better. Still not quite as good as my Contax but it was acceptable but then I did not find a G6 housing that was acceptable.

One comment about the Fuji F810. This camera seems to be a hit with folks, there are many threads about it over on www.digitaldiver.net. But I personally thought the 12MP offering was a joke when it is really a 6MP CCD sensor and the resultsing image is a firmware interpolated image. Why fill up a disk with 12MP when you can take a 6MP image and blow it bigger with third party software latter. Now I am bit jadded on this as I write image processing software as part of my research.

I could look past the 12MP offering but from the way I have read Fuji information if you set it to shot at 6MP you have little control over how the image is written to disk. I.e no ability to write raw images and can only save at high res.

The other item that folks have commented on is that the F810 is not going to be available much longer in the US. Since this is where I live the last thing I wanted was to buy a camera that was not going to be around if I needed a replacement. Not sure what the availibility is around the rest of the world.

Cheers,

Allen