Photo
- - - - -

Never be frightened to ask for what is yours.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:44 AM

Too many publishers think those who supply creative content are fair game. Many think that they do not need to pay agreed fees once they have the material in their possession.

Often I get requests for material for no charge in return for a credit. I tell them the only credit I need is in my bank account. If someone reneges on a deal I have no hesitation in pursuing them in whatever way is open to me including the application of the oxygen of publicity.

Never be frightened to ask for what is yours. And do not be dissuaded by those who tell you it was reward enough to see your material published.

I was prompted to write this after reading John Liddiards post. Its not an uncommon story.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?