• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 DesertEagle

DesertEagle

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:13 PM

I think we have some outstanding photographers right here at Wetpixel. Having seen Eric's, James' and Alex's photos along with others, I think they represent some of the finest work out there. The part I enjoy most is reading everyone's experiences with new gear. I've always believed that photography is part art and part science. Reading reviews and articles here gives me my science fix.

Some of my other favorites:

Mike Waters- used to work for Stephen Frink. An outstanding photographer and teacher.

Brian Skerry- I've had the pleasure of diving with Brian here in New England. His work for National Geographic is great.

David Doubilet- I used to read the National Geographic articles that contained his photos. The first time I met David was at Sea Rovers in 1992. Now I've got an autographed collection of books.

Mark Webster
Canon 30D. Olympus SP-310, PT-030 housing with Sea & Sea 16mm lens. Sea&Sea YS-50 and YS-60 stobes. Heinrichs-Weikamp DA2 adapter. ULCS base & arms. A little Magic (original & auto).

#22 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:33 PM

Besides David Doubilet, the photographers who inspiired me when I was just getting into u/w photography:

Douglas Faulkner link
Jerry Greenberg link
Rick Frehsee
Carl Roessler link

Havn't seen any of them mentioned but they're all great.
Larry Oberlander My Webpage
Nikon D200, Aquatica AD200

#23 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:40 PM

I have a background in motorsport, and through the years my favourite photographers have come from that

Reinhard Klein (Rallying) weblink
The site is his agency which isn't just his photos but they are all great. And there are some awesome shots from the guys I know who do F1 photography at www.crash.net and www.sutton-images.com

anyway the reason i like Reinhard is his different approach .. he looks at the event with different eyes to the rest of the guys .. he likes to stand back .. and he muct know every event better than the drivers. He gets unique perspectives.
example: (from pitstop.net)
Posted Image
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#24 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:00 PM

One thing i forgot to mention and some of you may find interest in it is http://www.naturephotographers.net i find myself going over some of the most incredible landscape images there.

A lot of the shots are just from people like us but some of the Medium format landscapes are incredible.

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#25 Ponsui

Ponsui

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:20 PM

So many great UW photographers mentioned! What a great list and great post idea Alex!!

One of my favorite topside photographers that made me want to get involved with photography when I was younger was Tina Moddotti. And also since there haven't been any other latinamericans mentioned, how about Manuel Alvarez Bravo.

Topsiders and consummate, I know, but still a big influence on my own photographic journey.

David.

#26 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:52 PM

Thanks Alex,

I may also submit that I was on the jury in Antibes when Mr. Mustard himself managed to gather a large chunk of the still photography prizes. Thank God all 3 juges (an Italian, a Frenchman and a "québécois") didn't have a clue about the name of the autors... as it must be in any well run competition... otherwise we may have had some hesitation to give so much to the same person.

Moreover, Alex's winning images were so different from one another that we could not make any connection.

If I may quote Mr Brooks when he chaired the jury at Antibes: The most important part of an image is the message, the impression it leaves on us.

What I find most intersting also is to see how a photographer's work evolves over time. I have gathered all of Mr. Doubilet's work for NGM. It is a learning experience to look at the changes in his work over time. I don't mean to say that he is THE overall best u/w photographer. However, looking at the change in the way he uses light convinces me that it takes time to master and integrate the idiosynchrasies and complexity of u/w photography; as I have experienced it myself looking at my images.

Some master it faster because of talent, time spent u/w, willingness to advance faster. Others might take longer. I think that as long as the individual keeps learning and makes progress, fun it still there.

Newbert's contribution was also peculiar. I consider that there was a pre-Newbert period in u/w photography and a post-Newbert era. Lighting style took a bold step after his work came on the market.

A forum like Wetpixels is great for this reason, it helps us learn from each other and, in this respect, integrate this knowledge as a part of our personal style.

One land photographer that has impressed me a lot is Steve McCurry, author of the perennial Afghan Girl image. This single image has been "overexposed" in the sense that NG has used it so much. However, it remains a very powerful picture.

And since Alex asked who is/are your favourite photographers, I must add Jim and Cathy Church. Their work has helped tons of u/w photogaphers learn the basics, just like Stephen Frink more recently.

I am drifting a bit here....

Back to the other computer now!

Michel

PS: No Alex did not ask for my praise.

PS2: Alex, which image is yours on the fronts featured on DD website?
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#27 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:39 PM

PS2: Alex, which image is yours on the fronts featured on DD website?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mine is the ariel view of the clownfish on Dive Magazine. Plus thanks for the kind words about my pix at Antibes, Michel. I am actually planning to enter seriously again this year for the first time since then - can't let M. Ballesta have it all his own way!

I am really happy that this thread has so many contributions. It is a good one because whether you are new to photography or knew the stars before they were famous, everyone has an opinion and something to contribute.

I have used one of the moderator tools here on wetpixel to add links to a few of the posts in this thread. I hope people don't mind, but it makes it easier to see the photographers' images

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#28 Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:55 PM

great thread, this one.

It was Doubilet and Newbert that had the most influence on me in the early days.

But one of the most memorable experiences was the time I spent diving with Leni Riefenstahl

Controversial and both revered and reviled for her past, nobody can deny that this was a woman of exceptional talent.

I dived with her in the Maldives in '95 - she was 93 years old and needed little assistance. Her mind was still razor sharp and the stories she recounted to me of her meetings with some of the most evil men in history still stay in my mind - this was a woman who hadn't just seen and photographed history - she was part of it.

Steve
Steve Jones
www.millionfish.com - millionfish@hotmail.com
Nikon - Seacam

#29 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:08 PM

Crikey!

Go to bed for a couple of hours and look what happens - you miss a thread with nearly 30 replies! Excellent idea BTW.

There have been so many of my favourite inspirational topside and UW photographers mentioned already. I thought that I had one topside guy left to mention, but Michel has beaten me to the punch and nominated Steve McCurry who I find to be capable of some of the most powerful and beautiful portraits. Everyone knows his ubiquitous Afghan Girl, but a quick peak at his website demonstrates that she clearly wasn't just a "one off."

In terms of UW photographers, one of my favourites has yet to get a guernsey - Gary Bell. He seems to mainly work downunder, but has some superb topside and UW work that some other folks might enjoy. I wrote to him earlier in the year (looking for books featuring his work) and he mentioned that he is planning a dedicated coffee table book for some time later this year.

Also wanted to mention another NG photographer - Tim Laman - whose recent NG article on fish sight, I really enjoyed. He also does some spectacular topside work in rainforests.

Better hit reply on this before someone beats me to the punch!! :P
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#30 jdaley

jdaley

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:38 PM

When I think of the photographers that admire most I would have to start with David Doubilet. His work still amazes me, I never get tired of seeing it. I believe we are all still working in his wake. I wonder what magnificient images he must have in his library that he or National Geo have never published.

The other photographers that inspire me are Frans Lanting and Clyde Butcher. Frans Lantings portrait work is exceptional, truly captures the character and emotion of the animal. His landscapes and the way he paints colors with light is truly inspired.

Clyde Butcher primarily shoot landscapes of the Florida Everglades with large format equipment. Often referred to as the Ansel Adams of the Everglades his work is the best documentary of a vanishing eco-system. Clyde Butcher has the ability to look at a scene, sometimes of absolute chaos, completely unattractive and create a spectacular image.

I agree that some of the photographers on Wetpixel are truly world class (you know who you are B) ) and the opportunity to not only view their work but interact with them is unique and priceless.
Nikon D2Xs, Subal Housing, Nikon 10.5mm, 16mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm and 105mm Micro, Dual Inon Z-220, Dual Sea&Sea YS-250Pro

www.clickndive.com

#31 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:04 PM

I agree that some of the photographers on Wetpixel are truly world class (you know who you are  B) ) and the opportunity to not only view their work but interact with them is unique and priceless.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Totally agree!! It is one of the aspects of wetpixel that has contributed to my chronic addiction. Such a great resource. B) :P
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#32 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:07 PM

So Sir Alex plans to enter Antibes this year... good news indeed and more wetpixelites should do it as well.

Speaking about favourites, in the hexagone, Lionel Pozzoli and Fred DiMeglio have done some very nice work.

In Italy, I am thinking about Claudio Bertassini.

We don,t see too many German names and I know there are some very good shooters out there too.

I think we ought to add David Pilosof for his book Samantha.
It sold pretty well and it was a different approach to u/w photography. Wouldn't be very popular in the Bible belt though.

Michel

PS: Alex, attending Antibes in person this year?
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#33 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:27 AM

I would add Tibor Dombovari to the list. I know him personally, and his work influenced my UW photography a lot.
He had a great success series at Antibes and won several prizes for his slides:
2000 Bronze:
2002 Silver:
http://www.underwate.../dombovari.html

2003 Gold:
http://www.underwate.../diapos/or.html

Take into consideration that he is from a country (Hungary) which has no seacoast.

Marcell
Marcell Nikolausz
Minolta Dynax 7000i, KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D, sony a100, Ikelite housing for 7000i and sony a100, two Ikelite Ai strobes
Portfolio: http://www.flickr.co...57604023368278/

#34 BradDB

BradDB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:41 AM

Here is a book I enjoy some of you might be interested in:

The Worlds Top Photographers
and the stories behind their greatest images
Wildlife
by Terry Hope

Each photographer gets a four page spread to show his/her favorite images and, best of all, discuss them.
The only underwater photographers included are David Doubilet, Fred Bavendam, Norbert Wu and Flip Nicklin. Land nature photographers include Art Wolfe, Tom Mangelsen, Kennan Ward, Frans Lanting and many others.

-Brad
Canon 7D in a Subal housing
Sea&Sea YS-250Pro strobes
http://www.montereydiving.com

#35 mandarinfish

mandarinfish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:36 AM

My favorites have mostly been mentioned: Chris Newbert, Tony Wu, Takako Uno, Norbert Wu. Most inspiration to me has been Chris, but wonderful and inspirational in her own right is Chris' wife, Birgitte (Deda) Wilms. I have also found influential Scott Tuason and Espen Rekdal. For topside and landscape, aside from the well known names, I have found inspiration from a local Oregonian, Chris Carvalho.

#36 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 09:29 AM

There are so many greats, so many that inspire.

That said, the first time I saw David Doubilet's "Water Light Time" I was dumbstruck. It still holds a spot on the living room coffee table!

#37 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:28 AM

Well, here's two more:
For land: Freeman Patterson www.freemanpatterson.com
For Water: Roger Steene
Roger's mastery of macro and finding rare critters got me hooked. His book Coral Reefs is one I look at over and over and still find inspiration within.

Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#38 UWPhotoTech

UWPhotoTech

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:15 AM

Many of the photographers I'd choose were already mentioned, but here's three more:

Marty Snyderman

Stan Waterman

Mauricio Handler
Underwater Photo-Tech, Derry, NH
Phone: 603-432-1997, Web: www.uwphoto.com

#39 carib-blu

carib-blu

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Sundays- 2 tank a.m., Nascar p.m.

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:16 AM

Good stuff here gang! I have to say that I am inspired and taught by so many photographers, including folks right here at Wetpixel. By far my favorite and most inspirational has to be Richard Avedon. I had a chance to view his "Portrait" exhibit at the Metropolitan Musuem of Art in New York. These bigger than life black and whites were amazing. The photography world said good bye to one of it's best last October. Here is a link, hope it's o.k. to post it here.

http://www.americanp...0&page_number=2

Thinking I'll load the Nikonos with some T-Max and head to Sting Ray City!!

Thanks for the great posts on this one!

Aurabest,
john
Do Something Nice for Yourself...GO DIVING!!

Nikon D100, Titan Housing, YS120's, 10.5, 17-35, 60, 105, MAGIC FILTERS!

#40 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:41 AM

I have to give Douglas David Seifert my vote for having undiminished style ! ( he is the best dressed u/w photgrapher I have ever seen ) Doug has been there since day one - helping, promoting, but above all shooting fantastic images. www.douglasseifert.com

Jim Watt for his unbridled enthusiasm for the medium and his willingness to share !

And finaly Berkley White not for any other reason than the continual encouragement he provides and the inspiration that is given so freely.........

thanks