• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 09:49 AM

Here's a shot that illustrates the difference between the YS90DX and a true wideangle strobe like the SB102/104 or the Ike DS125 or SS200:

Posted Image

Look at the difference in distribution of light for the two strobes! They both have diffusers on.

Even with 2 of the YS90DX, you will have to be EXTREMELY good at strobe aiming to cover a 20mm lens. For close focus wideangle, you'll probably have to point your YS90DX strobes in a bit to cover your foreground subject.

I hope this is useful for you folks.

James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#2 snoack

snoack

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 10:22 AM

James,

This is a good example for a powerfull strobe (lower one)
but i don't see any light coming from the YS90DX.
Is it so weak that the light is invisible ?

Sabine

#3 underwaterdigital

underwaterdigital

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 10:57 AM

looks like the strobe didn't fire.
Allan

Sea and Sea DX100 with Inon X1 port, Inon Z22 quad ring flash, YS90DX and a bunch of lens, arms and ports.

#4 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 12:33 PM

I have to agree, it looks like the strobe didn't fire so...The other strobe must be better with that alone...just kidding! Before I begin, let me clarify I think both the 90dx's and ds125's are good strobes. Due to the rapid recycle time of the DS125 I am now considering a pair. Due to the firmware update in the cp5000

Anyway, if the strobe angles are similiar then would they not cover the same degree for lighting and strobe positioning?

Now that said, a less powerful strobe may not light the subject as much on the edges? But, generally in wideangle with the 90dx's I am only shooting -
3 to -5 as it is so would I not be getting the desired lighting from the 90dx's for wide-angle then?

Again, I have seen great results from the ds125's Dave, Jim and Eric were shooting on our trip. All extremely talented individuals of course. :blink:
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 08:07 PM

You guys might be right - the 90 DX may not have fired - but then again, it might have. I've marked up the photo and re-uploaded it:

Posted Image

I'm thinking that the spread bounded by the two arrows is from the 90DX and the spread bounded by the curves is from the 102. Perhaps the 90DX is up farther from the bottom - it's hard to say. I just wanted to post the photo because it made me go WHOA!

Remember, the 102 uses a pigtail flash tube to yield a big even spread. The 90DX uses a straight tube and a dimpled diffuser to spread the light.

In any case, if folks are interested, I can test some more strobes this way or repeat the test - it's sure worth "a thousand words."

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#6 Nemo

Nemo

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 02:43 AM

I tend to think the DX90 didnt fire either.

The cone of light you outlined with the arrows looks like it is from the cameras strobe if it has one??

On a budgitary note 2 DX90's for one SB104 $$.
Nemo - D70 + 17-55mm, 70 - 200 VR, 35 f2, 10.5, Sigma 15, 60 Macro, Nexus D70 housing, Optima CCR & more dive gear than the ave. store

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 04:57 AM

The camera flash did not fire. It is a small pop-up unit. If it's not popped up, it can't fire.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#8 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 02:00 PM

I don't think your 90 fired.

Long live the king! The SS200. Need another one? I've got four. I've also got an SB-104. Makes the SS200 look like a paper weight. It has to have its own plane ticket. Way too big and heavy and doesn't recycle very quickly.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#9 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2290 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 06:11 PM

If you love the 200 you would be amazed by the 125. Does everything the 200 does at the cost of 2/3 of an F stiop, but twice as fast and half the weight and size. :blink:
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#10 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2290 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 06:13 PM

Forgot to add. Sold 2 200s and got 125s instead. :blink:
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.