10 replies to this topic

#1 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:01 AM

Last year I was invited to Savannah, GA to help judge the photo contest entries for Scuba Diving Magazine's first annual reader's photo contest. I was very impressed by the quality and diversity of the entries.

Now that they are posted online at http://www.scubadivi...ners/index.html I am reminded once again to say to the winners ... congratulations!
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#2 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:34 AM

I recognise a couple of Wetpixelites in the Honorable mentions (Ralph Oberlander and Todd Mintz), congratulations to them :)

Anyone else in there whose name I don't recognise, congratulations to you too! Some lovely work in there. Also interesting to see a European freshwater shooter doing so well.
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:25 AM

Nice stuff. Congrats to all. Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#4 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:44 AM

Congrats to our representatives.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#5 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6166 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:34 PM

Thas my buddy (and protege...Mike what does an fstop do??!) Doug Sloss who is the grand prize winner.
I think he will be joining the forum soon (henche the parnthesis above)

Congrats to all!

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#6 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:13 PM

Very nice work in all categories. Thanks for posting Steve and congrats again to the winners.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#7 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:11 AM

My only criticism of such competitions (and this is not aimed at this one in particular) is that you do see the same pictures doing the rounds again and again.

This one is not too bad. I have only seen 3-4 of these shots before in other competitions. But I think that competitions should either say all pictures welcome - we want the best. Or no pictures that have won a award or commendation or have been published can be entered.

I realise the general public would never notice these things. But as a keen photographer I sure do!

Alex

#8 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1597 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:33 AM

Glenn V. Ostle
Charlotte, N.C.

This guy got hosed. His honerable mention is rock solid in lighting, composition, differentiation, interest and content. His negative space is very eye catching and the secondary exposure on the jelly in superb. That's why I sometimes shake my head in disbelief at what judges select as winning pictures. But that is the challenge of UW phot contests ....to appeal to the psyche of the judge.....why do you think clown fish always place?

Nice work by all and I agree with Alex that one pic makes 2-3 rounds over a couple of years...get new winners :)

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#9 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:30 AM

My only criticism of such competitions (and this is not aimed at this one in particular) is that you do see the same pictures doing the rounds again and again.

This one is not too bad. I have only seen 3-4 of these shots before in other competitions. But I think that competitions should either say all pictures welcome - we want the best. Or no pictures that have won a award or commendation or have been published can be entered.

I realise the general public would never notice these things. But as a keen photographer I sure do!

Alex

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thankyou for the compliments.

Alex, I do agree but you also have to remember that at the time of entry the individual photo may not have actually placed yet.
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#10 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:49 AM

Hi Todd,

My comments were not specifically aimed at you! Or indeed this competition! More at some of European photographers who continually enter the same shots in competitions around the world. It is fine if their is an overlap in time - but sometimes you see the same images knocking around for several years!

I think it is fine to enter the same pix in competitions at different tiers of standard. You could enter a picture in a regional or club competition. Then enter in big UW competition - e.g. BTS, Epic and big Magazine competitions like this one. And then finally enter a shot in the top level International comps like Antibes or Wildlife Photog of the Year.

Alex

#11 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:40 PM

Hi Todd,

My comments were not specifically aimed at you! Or indeed this competition! More at some of European photographers who continually enter the same shots in competitions around the world. It is fine if their is an overlap in time - but sometimes you see the same images knocking around for several years!

I think it is fine to enter the same pix in competitions at different tiers of standard. You could enter a picture in a regional or club competition. Then enter in big UW competition - e.g. BTS, Epic and big Magazine competitions like this one. And then finally enter a shot in the top level International comps like Antibes or Wildlife Photog of the Year.

Alex

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, I agree fully.

I knew you were not meaning me.
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz