• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 02:26 PM

If you want to dive sharks and dolphins in the Bahamas (or just want to dive the West Palm Beach area), call Jim and Anna Abernethy:

Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures

They hosted the July Bahamas trip that Jim Watt, David Fleetham, Andy Sallmon, Todd Mintz, and I went on. At DEMA a few days ago, Anna was talking about going to the "how to keep your customers" meeting. In fact, both she and Jim should be running that seminar. :blink:
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#2 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 07:09 PM

Amen brother!

They are certainly outstanding at making your trip the best it can be. Not to mention what outstanding people they truly are!!

I consider then valued friends now.
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted © Todd C Mintz

#3 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 07:28 AM

Several years back a group of us setup 5 (2 tank) dives over a weekend in West Palm. I was with two other master divers and an instructor that’s been diving since I was in diapers We had arranged to go out with Diver supply but after a series of horrible dives I was fed up and ready to throw in the towel and head home. You see, on a Diver supply boat they make everyone return when the first person is low on air. By the second dive our group invented a new game, “who can ditch the dive master the fastest”. This game worked assuming the caption actually dropped you on something. One of the dives (after a really bad drop) the dive master actually tried to lead the group against the current to find the reef (yeah that’s going to happen). The new divers were out of air in minutes.

Anyway I was done, I wanted to go home and cut my losses. The group decided we would give Jim Abernethy a try before heading home. I was in the worst mood; I still remember telling Jim I am not doing a 15 minute dive. Long story short, I got a 50 minute night dive and it was one of the best dives I had ever had. Jim was great, he is so enthusiastic about diving it makes the trip more about diving and less about numbers. As angry as I was getting on that boat he surpassed any and every expectation I had. That never happens!

#4 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 03:43 PM

I love the way he and his crew run dives. I'm not sure how the day trips are run, but the live-aboard goes out, parks, and then leaves when people are satisfied. You can follow the dive master if you wish; otherwise, you're on your own. ;)

I suppose that drift dives would be harder to organize in this manner.

Jim is funny. When people go on his boat and mention wetpixel, he calls me, excited: "someone just mentioned wetpixel!"

hehehe.
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#5 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 08:47 AM

I agree the drift dives are harder to organize but he pulls it off. The MVplaymate out of the Keys is a live aboard that does nothing but drift dives as well. They drop in sets of two and three but always seem to find you. I can honestly say I had my doubts a few times but they always find you........eventually.