• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cmm1970

cmm1970

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:25 PM

I am eBaying my Pelican cases. No more Pelican travel for me. Carry-on's all the way. If you are interested, here is the link to my auction. I have two cases for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/.....AMESE:IT&rd=1

#2 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Location:Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (yes, agreed, not much difference)
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm water, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:43 AM

Tempting......

You may be interested that I've just hoiked a Pelican 1510 around the world and had no problems getting it on as cabin baggage on 19 flights. But its a bit smaller than the 1610.

Good luck with the sale.
Tim

Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (that diving Mecca)

former Dive Manager KBR - Lembeh Straits

www. timsimages.co.uk

#3 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 17 July 2005 - 07:09 AM

... I've just hoiked a Pelican 1510 around the world and had no problems getting it on as cabin baggage on 19 flights. But its a bit smaller than the 1610.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 1610 is MUCH larger, and could NEVER be used as a carry-on (even if you could fit it through the passenger security screening XRAY machine, which you never could, they'd look at you like you were nuts when you arrived at the gate to board!). :D

I've used a 1610 as my primary checked photo bag for a few years, though, and it works well for that, especially if (as someone here suggested not long ago) you take the handle and wheels off, which shaves several pounds off the weight.

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#4 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:01 AM

I've just hoiked a Pelican 1510 around the world and had no problems getting it on as cabin baggage on 19 flights. But its a bit smaller than the 1610.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my last flights with carry-on in some of the check-ins they weigh it and made problems if its was more then 20 pounds, the 1510 weight 14 pounds, its not have to much weight to the equipment that way doesn't it?
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#5 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Location:Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (yes, agreed, not much difference)
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm water, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:09 PM

I must have been lucky; it was never weighed. It was packed with my housing, two strobes, two lenses, extention tubes, batteries etc etc. I usually tried to carry it to make it look as though it weighed nothing. Of course, I now have a pinched nerve in my shoulder :D
Tim

Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (that diving Mecca)

former Dive Manager KBR - Lembeh Straits

www. timsimages.co.uk