• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bdallas

bdallas

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:24 PM

just wondering if anyone out there's had any experience shooting with the dx-8000. I'm assuming it's functionally identical to the 5000? Any comments on image quality and ease of use, etc? Thanks.

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:41 PM

Hi bdallas,

I used one yesterday in fact...:-) I'll be posting a review here on Wetpixel shortly.

In summary: the unit is VERY small, has almost no shutterlag, and comes with manual aperture and shutter speed controls. It uses SD media, and syncs with slave flashes like the Ikelites, Inons and the Sea and Seas. It has a bayonet mount for the Sea and Sea wideangle conversion lens.

I haven't studied my images enough to comment on image quality yet, but at ISO 100 or below they look fine.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 bdallas

bdallas

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:11 PM

Great. I look forward to seeing the review. Thanks.

#4 Trevor Rees

Trevor Rees

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:UK underwater photography

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:12 PM

Lots more pixels but otherwise no major advance in capability over the previous DX-5000 model is my guess.
I have not used one but all camera mag reviews that I have read rate the image quality as good but nothing special compared to similar models. There is lots of noise above 100 ISO reported

#5 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 11:24 PM

Its looks like a very nice setup, very small and comfortable.
Few points that disturb me with that setup from reading the specs in dpreview:
- There is no Shutter priority option.
- There is no RAW file format.
- Its a new camera and its seems there is no much information about the quality of it.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 05:50 AM

Thanks guys.

Check out the related link to the Sea and Sea website. There are a lot of facts there that aren't on DPreview. I'm not sure if the camera is exactly the same, that's why I said it is BASED on the GX8

I agree that RAW support would be nice, but I don't think that's in the target market.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#7 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:13 AM

I checked again the Sea&Sea site (btw: the first link in the review is corrupted) but didn't found more relevant data.
I can live with no shutter priority since we uses manual anyway and for beginners is not very important.
The missing raw option however is big minus for me. we are looking for a new advanced P&S to replace the Canon S50 that my wife uses and the S&S could be a nice option especially because of it small dimensions that is very important to her.
In this days that almost any P&S camera offer the raw data, even much less sophisticated models, its looks strange that Sea&Sea pick one of the few model that don't give that option witch is important to the u/w photographer.

Its the same problem as with the oldest housing/cameras that Sea&Sea had, well build and ergonomic housing that can be used deeper then most P&S housing in the market (at list the less expensive ones), good accessories but with very limited cameras.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#8 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:26 AM

Again, of all the 8 megapixel compact cameras, the GX8 has the shortest shutter lag. It's really really snappy. Other folks requirements may vary, but to me this is the most important feature and over-rides the lack of RAW support. Despite the ever-present encouragement here, I suspect that most compact camera shooters are using JPEG.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll go see if I can fix that link.

Cheers
Janes
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#9 dbeedle

dbeedle

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Beer, Brewing, Geeking, Geocaching

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:35 AM

just wondering if anyone out there's had any experience shooting with the dx-8000. I'm assuming it's functionally identical to the 5000? Any comments on image quality and ease of use, etc? Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a post in another thread regarding the DX-5000 which I upgraded to from the DX-3000G. I haven't seen the 8000 yet but there are a couple of differences between the cameras, one being that the 5000 has a RAW mode. I also understand that the 5000 and 8000 are physically that same and the cameras can fit each housing (Ricoh Caplio GX and GX8 I beleive). My post fro the other thread:

Managed to get in about 200 shots with the DX-5000 this past weekend in Tobermory, Ont. Had no problems with the camera and housing other than a broken fibre sync cord which I had grabbed by mistake, the new one was safe on dry land waiting for the next dive. I was surprised that I was able to use the controls on the camera as well as I was. It was cold water of course (37F at the coldest) and I was in a dry suit and dry gloves. I was still able to use most of the buttons and controls without too much of a problem and the others with some careful poking. The buttons are smaller on the back of the camera but are set at different heights which makes them much easier to access.

Using the camera and housing itself is very similar to the DX-3000 (I have the Model G3s camera). I really like that the power button is no longer on top next to the shutter (it's on the back). I have had occasion to turn the camera off instead of taking a picture. I experimented a bit with the manual mode but don't know that it offers much flexibility and I wound up using mostly the auto mode. The macro mode is still good and shutter lag is very good, no complaints there. One thing I did see on another board and notice on the housing...the diffuser that flips up to cover the internal flash is made of a thinner and much more opaque material than the 3000. Other had reported a lot of backscatter due to this and I took a hint from them and put black tape over it. Battery life seemed just find and I had no complaints from the batteries even after 4 dives one day. There are a couple of new display modes the G3s does not have including a histogram display and a battery saving display that turns off the LCD until the shutter is half pressed. I found that mode to be kind of difficult and annoying to use either pressing too far and taking a picture or not far enough and have the display go on and off. Could just be me, especially with the dry gloves. I did not experiment with the white balance, which is also new over the G3s, maybe next time.

Overall the 5000 is just as easy to use and maintain as the 3000. It's only very slightly larger but not enough that you would notice.

I have some of the shots online at Tobermory Shots (DX-5000). These are scaled down images to save space. I can post full size images also if someone wants to see them.

#10 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:00 AM

James, how was the AutoFocus speed? In low light?

Thanks!
Don
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#11 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:12 AM

Hi Don,

It wasn't too bad, but I didn't use the system extensively, only a few times. The dive at Steson Bank was is pretty dim light as you can see from the wideangle shot in the review and I didn' notice any problems w/ the AF.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#12 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:08 PM

Sounds like a nice little unit with better battery life than the F810, but no RAW support.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#13 bdallas

bdallas

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 11:42 PM

thanks everyone for the feedback. much appreciated.

#14 Phylo

Phylo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:47 AM

For those of you that have used the GX8000D, Im wondering if they have fixed some of what I consider the glaring shortcommings of the 5000??

1. Is there a way to set the flash to a slave mode? (like with the Olympus Cameras) This mode puts out just enough power to triger the strobe so that the onboard flash recycles much faster. One of my biggest pet peves is that the camera takes forever to recharge the flash.

2. In manual Mode, when I zoom the lens on the 5000 it changes the aperature, it would be so much better if the aperature stayed the same! ( I know this isnt possible when the camera is wide open as the minimum aperature changes but if Im at 5.6 then it shouldnt need to change if I zoom in or out as 5.6 is available in both the wide and telephoto end of the lens.)

3. Does the flash start to recycle as soon as the shot is taken, currently in the 5000 the flash does not start to recycle until the image preview is gone!

Phil
P.S. Pics from this camera from my trip to Cozumel can be found at
http://www.int14h.or...gallery/cozumel

#15 ReefDiver

ReefDiver

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:47 PM

Hi Phil:

Enjoyed your photos of Cozumel as I have been there diving many times. The camera seems to do an overall good job of capturing the UW environment. Can you tell me how I can post any pictures that I take to the photo gallery that you are using? I am headed for the Caribbean shortly and will be diving on Curacao & St. Thomas. Thanks.

Steve

#16 Phylo

Phylo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:29 PM

Thanks, Im glad you enjoyed the photo's!

The software is Gallery and the site is a domain that I own. You can get the software from
http://gallery.sourceforge.net

Unfortunatly the gallery is hosted on a machine that has limited bandwidth available to it and I wouldnt be able to give you any space on it.

There are a ton of sites that will allow you to host images though, I know that yahoo does and Im sure if you asked around here you could find a few folks that could recomend a bunch of others.

Phil