No replies to this topic

#1 azcaddman

azcaddman

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:scuba, photography

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:07 AM

I recently purchaced a package deal of ebay, one of the items is a custom Ikelite Dome. I used it last weekend (with N90s Film camera, and Sigma 15mm lens).

Unfortunatly the combination doesnt work for film, as the resulting image is nearly circular.

After taking measurements/photos, and corresponding with Ikelite, it appears this will work fine on a digital body (1.5 crop) or a slightly longer lens (physical lens length, the 15mm barely protrudes into the dome on the N90 setup).

Response from Brett at Ikelite, in Identifying the port

"Sorry, but I can't be much help on this. The port pictured is a "one-off" custom port, NOT an Aquatica dome. The dome was sent to us and attached to our port base, then returned. We have no way of knowing the safe depth rating or what lens it will work best with."

I personaly used this port to a depth of 95 feet, with no problems (other than viginetting).

The backing plate of the dome is 9", outside of dome is 8", inside of dome is 7.7", and is a 180° hemisphere. The distance from the end of the extension to the outside of the backing plate is 1.2", to the inside of the backing plate is 1.9". The extension is not removable, like the new aquatica domes. No scratches on inside or outside of dome.

high res photos of the dome are at Here .

Bottom Line, I already have a 20mm w/a setup, and the 5503.15 for the 15mm, so this was a "gee that would be nice for over/under" .. that didn't end up working for the lens combinations I have, and I have no intention of getting a longer lens just for this port.

$250 plus shipping from 85021 (Phoenix AZ)