48 replies to this topic

#21 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:44 AM

Going under tomorrow to check the trim and all, will keep posted, dont expect great shot, it a treasure hunt in a mud hole :o for a local charity.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#22 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:39 AM

How is the viewfinder?

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#23 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:56 AM

Give's a full view of the exposure info and finder area, it's the same that was used on the F100 housing and you had a complete view even with a full frame finder even then.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#24 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:58 AM

Very nice. Can't wait to try it.

thanks for the reply.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#25 BART HEINES

BART HEINES

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:27 PM

Another beauty (housing) for the D2X.

None of the existing housings have a window in front for the (automatic) white-balance sensor...

None of the existing housings support the "programmable button" in front of the camera. (I think this is technical not possible because of the position of the button near the lens).

#26 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 01:05 PM

The camera WB window is inside a shell with no direct line of sight to the ambiant light source which makes it useless when it's housed, couple this with the fact that most likely the users of D2x cameras are going to use the camera in RAW mode.

The programmable button would be an engineering nightmare in mechanical complexity, every thing is always possible, but the demand has to be there when you get to thoses weirdly placed buttons. you have two differents thinking line from the consumers, some are minimalist and would like only the most basic functions accessibles and some want the full regalia and are willing in some case to do highly complex modification in order to be able to transfer without removing the camera from the housing.

To be between a rock and a hard place I believe they call this. :o

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#27 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 01:22 PM

Tell us the measurements! :o I am really curious to know the size of this beauty, it looks bigger than the Subal, but not by much.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#28 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:01 PM

Hola Luiz, it's about the same as what you have, give or take a few milimeters. sizing is not final as it might come off smaller, it all depend of the balance in water. i'm on these test for the forthcoming days.

So soon, but not now <_<

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#29 Mark Graf

Mark Graf

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:nature photography; landscape, macro, abstract, underwater , Mac computers, and of course - diving - warm and cold water.

Posted 06 August 2005 - 05:35 AM

So what's the critieria for the number of guide pins that are used in the housing? (ie the two on the bottom). Advantage / disadvantage of putting another near the top?

Mark
Mark Graf
Nature photography: grafphoto.com
Twitter: @grafnaturephoto
Blog: Notes from the Woods
Facebook: Like my FB page

#30 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:21 PM

Hi Mark, the pins are there to prevent accidental lateral shifting of the two halves and two is plenty enough for that purpose. one is obviously not enough and three or four might not be overkill but definetly not essential, the latches, o-rings and mother nature's pressure provide the seal, the pin is just for alignement and/or when you will knock or drag your housing behind a boat like somebody did on this website.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#31 motionsync

motionsync

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Interests:UW photography with available light<br />Freediving

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:31 PM

Is there any special new painting for the housing? When I see the pictures its look like a new painting
Lambis Stratoudakis - http://www.lambisstratoudakis.com

#32 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:40 PM

Its the same silver paint we use for the Canon D20 and Fuji S2 pro and now also use on the Nikon D100 and D70, nothing new, but we discontinued the gold color, it was not as chip resistant as the silver paint (different batch). I think maybe the fact I changed my Studio recently may account more for the perception of color change due to my new lighting set-up. (I like the new set-up very much :lol: )

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#33 motionsync

motionsync

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 07:11 AM

The housing looks great.
I see that Aquatica have make a big step ahead with the ergonomy of the housing. In some housings I have always dislike the position of the AE/AF Lock buttton, Main & Sub Command knob.
Now they are exactly where they must be. You can use the housing with one hand.

Very good job Aquatica.

Lambis

#34 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:07 AM

Thank's Lambis, I went diving yesterday with it and I would like to report on it now but the people at the office have not yet received my report, I don't want to ruffle the administration :( all i'll say is, it handled nicely with or without flash attached to it.

Diving condition was like a glass of chocolate milk without he milk :blink: so don't expect to see photos. The dive was a treasure hunt, so imagine 55 divers looking for keys in the bottom of a lake, and then imagine the visibillity :lol: like a night dive without a light.

Cheers

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#35 motionsync

motionsync

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:25 AM

Waiting for the review!!!

The housing is a clear winner with that price. the only what I need is a D2X :lol:

About testing a housing in lakes and cold waters....

I went to 2 times to test my housing and lences but nothing....
Visability is 1-2 meters, full of perticles. nothing work.:-)

I must move back to Greece. You are welcome to test the housing there :blink:

#36 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 12:07 PM

Give me the address... :lol: I keep telling Aquatica to move its headquarter to Bermuda or Cayman :blink:

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#37 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 02:32 PM

Hey Luiz, I don't have the dimension yet, but I know it's gonna loose weight, early testing showed that we could shave a bit of material to reduce air space to adjust the trim. work in progress... :lol:

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#38 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 02:51 PM

That's great, I know quite a few people that are waiting for this housing. A friend of mine is trying to decide between Aquatica and Subal, if they are close in size/weight he will go with the less expensive one, that's why I asked.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#39 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 03:09 PM

They will be closes in size, if anything the Aquatica may end up with a smaller height/weight, but at this point I prefer that we take a few extra days and fine tune the machine before putting it on the market.

It is a nice camera to put in a housing, very pleasant finder and LCD screen among other things.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#40 handlerphoto

handlerphoto

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:10 PM

Hi Jean..
sorry I missed all the fun with the early test on the D2H as I am away with family.

The housing looks great! Nice studio images.
Cant wait to check it out as well.

The price is right and delivery should be very soon.
With the improovements on saddle mount, new paint job, greater viewing, and use of all existing Aquatica ports and accessories this looks to be a winner.

I will try and get this in clear water soon.... :lol:
I will resist the dark, murky water treasure hunts as much as possible...

Mauricio Handler
on the road.......
� Handlerphoto
Photo Workshops & expeditions/ Housing Sales & Support
www.handlerphoto.com
mauricio@handlerphoto.com