• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scubacrazy

scubacrazy

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:59 PM

Just a thought , but has anyone ever made enquiries about modifying an existing Subal housing to accept a different camera?
The reason I ask is that I have a Subal Housing, for a Nikon F90x, which I wanted to either part exchange, or sell,so I can get a housing for my D70. It seems it is worth more as scrap value, as anyone who has scanned e-bay will concur !!
Now, I know I am not an engineer, but I wouldnt have thought it would be that hard to do?
So, has anyone tried / Does anyone know of a company who could do this, or is it financially non viable?

#2 anny

anny

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 07:59 AM

We have modified Subal N10 (for F100) to take the D70.

No Big modifications and you can use both cameras in the same housing.

Not all funcions though.
Shutter release
Shutter time
Aperture

One button on the back working so far.

On one of the housings we even cut a hole in the back so that we can see the display.

Regards
Anders

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 08:06 AM

It a good idea since film housings can be got for next to nothing these days. But i would say that the F90 is pretty unsuitable because the camera controls are very different to modern Nikons (aperture, on off switch, shutter speed) etc etc.

I think that buying a cheap F80/F100/F5 housing would be the best way to go. I have certainly seen some very good deals on these systems on eBay.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 scubacrazy

scubacrazy

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:04 AM

I think you are probably right, Alex. I realised that when I put my D70 up to the F90 housing. Nothing lines up !! Oh well, I guess it's time to bite the bullet, and save for a Subal housing. At least then I can use my current ports. :lol:
As an aside, I wonder how long it will be before D70 housing become available for silly-low prices, because I dont suppose it will be long before Nikon bring out the D80, 0r D200, or some such "must-have" new camera. I know there are threads discussing this here on Wetpixel, but it makes you think, doesn't it?

#5 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:24 AM

I have seen other brands for older digital cameras selling cheaply, but I think that Subal and other respected brands tend to hold their value pretty well.

You could always keep your eye out for an old F80 or F100 housing?

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#6 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:36 AM

It would be nice if housings could be "kitted" to at least accept closely related brands designs, but I doubt that will happen. It'd put housing manufacturers out of business, unless the kit costs $100 to make but they sell for, say, $1500, an amount that is reasonable because you don't have to regear lenses, or purchase any other accessories to get your current expensive goodies working with a new housing.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com