• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ReefDiver

ReefDiver

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:56 PM

I will be diving next week and wanted to know if a wide angle lens can be removed & then replaced while taking underwater photos?

I am using a Canon S-500 with housing and attached Inon wide angle lens (WAL). I would assume that water is getting in between the outside of the housing and the inner part of the WAL while it is attached and therefore taking it off and on should pose no problem.

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

Steve

#2 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:39 PM

Sounds like you have the wet lens ... i.e. it is mandatory you have water between the housing and the lense for it to work right .. hence yes you can take it off underwater .. but not having seen it i can't guarentee it ... isn't it in the manual ? does it have an O ring seal ?
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#3 ReefDiver

ReefDiver

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:27 AM

Thanks Giles.

Nope no O ring seal and there was no manual, just directions for how to install the lens onto the housing.

So bottom line is that I am going to take it off & on as necessary. I tried it in my pool and taking it off & on didn't seem to make any difference. I can't imagine that it would be any different in the salty stuff?

BTW, if and when I get back to Grand Cayman, I would like to hook up with you for a dive trip.

Steve

#4 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 06 August 2005 - 12:26 PM

Sure thing I am usually around and available atthe weekend depending on the time of year.

And no the salty stuff doesnt matter .. what is important is that you never have any air bubble inbetween the lesnes.

G
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#5 ReefDiver

ReefDiver

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:03 PM

Thanks, as I would never have thought about the air bubbles but it makes perfect sense! Off to dive now & take mucho pictures!! :lol:

Steve