• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SCubed

SCubed

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 07:37 PM

Reading some of the prior posts had me thinking of the SubEye. I can't find any real information of the camera or even a price, but it may be a great canidate for an U/W digicam. Whenever I look at it I think this would make a great digital.

Nikon is a huge company, dropping the nikonos may have made sense to their accountant, my accountant would of said I was nuts. Its possible, particulary with todays machining capabilities to maintain a line of cameras from a home shop. Just because nikon dropped them does not mean a small shop would.

This is why I thought of the SubEye. The camera uses Nikon lenses and the lenses are the only part of the camera that is housed. It simplifies the production process, making it more viable for a small company.

If what I read in many posts and personal websites is true, a 6-8megapixel camera is more than adequate for most of our underwater shooting. I dont see why a single style digital cannot hande the needs of most shooters for a profitable period of time. As long as a baody is designed with upgradability in mind you keep an standard body with room for upgrades. and of course a pricey model for those who really need the increase in resolution.

I think its very feasable, its just a matter of who wants to do it.