• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:04 AM

edit: 5D housings might be cheaper but on the other hand 5D body won't stay the same over future generations as the 1D bodies usually do ... but your 1Ds Ewa-Bag might be compatible to the 5D too  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The other thing to remember is time. I think that it will be unlikely that the will be a 5D housing out until this time next year. Whereas you can buy a 1D/1DS housing today. You can take a lot of pictures in one year!

I also think that the housing manufacturers will not be queuing up to make housing for this camera. Ikelite, who is normally one of the fastest, tend to focus on mass market cameras. I can see Subal and Sea & Sea supporting this camera. Maybe Sealux too. Not convinced about Seacam, maybe?

The 5D is expensive and likely to generate low numbers of sales for UW shooting. The clincher would be if it was full frame. If it is, then fisheye factor will make this a popular choice for UW photography and may persuade several companies to go with it.

Judging from the interest expressed for my filters I would say that Nikon D70 + D100 out number Canon DSLRs about 3-4:1 in digital underwater photography.

So an expensive, but sub-pro Canon, is unlikely to be a great investment for housing makers.

Alex

I think that the 1DS Mk2 replacement will not have the same body. The main criticism of that camera by land photographers is the ergonomics of the body. SO I think that the current camera is the last that will fit in that housing (apart from the 1D Mk2N).

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#42 motionsync

motionsync

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Interests:UW photography with available light<br />Freediving

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:27 AM

Alex have a point

Thats the reason that I have buy a Nikon D70 & a Nexus housing. I say to me , dont wait - take pictures - learn to use a DSLR underwater and dont invest much money.
Then if sometning good will come out I will strike like ZEUS

The 1DS Mk2 body is really old & big. Many Swedish fotografs criticasm this.
If canon come out with a new Camera it will be a absolut new design...

lambis
Lambis Stratoudakis - http://www.lambisstratoudakis.com

#43 whitey

whitey

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:All forms of nature photography. Dive medicine. The ocean.

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:28 AM

I could not think of any reason for an 1Ds owner to switch to the 5D. You would loose the better body.
But I think it's more an interesting camera to people who want full frame and higher resolution but not to spend 7000 bucks for the 1Ds MkII and its solid body.
A used 1Ds is an attractive option too and the used prices won't really raise because of the 5D.

Julian

edit: 5D housings might be cheaper but on the other hand 5D body won't stay the same over future generations as the 1D bodies usually do ... but your 1Ds Ewa-Bag might be compatible to the 5D too  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not trying to compare it to the 1Ds Mk2 - quite a different price point, the 1Ds Mk 2 is undoubtably a better camera. But a used 1Ds ('Mk1', if you like) is about the same price. You get a pro body for your money, a weak AA filter (which is good for what most of us here use are cameras for, but not so great for fashion photogs) - and in return have to put up with outdated technology. The 1Ds doesn't even autorotate pictures taken in vertical. I'm sure Ansel Adams used to have to autorotate his JPEGs in the olden days, but it's pretty lame having to do so in 2005. But I digress...

The 5D pretty much looks like my 10D, with a more prominent pentaprism. Ugh, consumer camera. People will think you're shooting with a D30 or something.

As for the EWA-marine option - Jolly, I thought you were knowledable about such things. You should know that my U-AX won't fit a 1Ds, but would fit a 5D nicely. So if you buy one, give me a call and we'll do a deal.

:D

<edit> just came across this thread on LL about 20D and EWA-bag. http://www.luminous-...=0;r=1;

Second comment down from 'benjammer' - LOL ;)

Rob Whitehead

Shooting with Phase One and Canon. EWA-Marine Factory Test Pilot.

www.pilbaraphoto.com

#44 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:05 AM

I agree that not every housing manufacture might jump into the gap between entry and pro bodies. For me, the 5D (if the specs are true) is a very nice underwater camera for two reasons: full frame for fisheye and a true uncropped big viewfinder like a film body or 1Ds (MkII). Both not available with a lower Canon DSLR model and both not less important for underwater. Add a street price of around 3000 and the resolution not available for this price anywhere else, it might be quiet attractive for some. Some even might prefer a smaller body than the 1D series. I am sure (if the camera is real - what I do believe today, but maybe not tomorrow) at least Subal and UK-Germany will build a housing. I would not be surprised if Sealux does not because they have their roots with Nikon like Seacam.

If the camera is real, I will most probably order it and use it topside initially and will continue with my 10D underwater for some time.

Just a thought: 5D with the simple Standard Sealux viewfinder (shrinking by 1.6) would roughly have the same image size as a 1.6 crop camera with the optional Sealux sportsfinder (almost 1:1). The viewfinder item may be interesting when investing in such a camera and saving additionally costs on viewfinder choice initially.

Julian

PS: Rob, I'll give you a call when I am up to a risky Ewa-Bag dive with my sweet 5D ;)
| Canon 5D I+II / Sealux CC5-GD I+II custom converted | 2x Ikelite DS-125 | ULCS |

#45 motionsync

motionsync

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Interests:UW photography with available light<br />Freediving

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:15 AM

Julian

That with Standard or optional sportsfinder is very true.
After I have buy my nikon I have think about it. The money that you invest for a sportsfinder you can invest for camera and housing.

Lambis
Lambis Stratoudakis - http://www.lambisstratoudakis.com

#46 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:59 AM

but this time Nikon seems to respond immediatley with a great D200:

DX Format with 12.4 effective megapixels

The new CMOS image sensor features high image quality and high-speed 4-channel data output

New image processing algorithms combine with optimized analog and digital white balance to produce smoother, more consistent gradations with exceptionally pure color reproduction

Continuous shooting: 3 frames per second (fps) at 12.4 megapixels for up to 10 consecutive NEF (Nikon Electronic Format) images; 5 fps for 18 NEF images at 6.8 megapixels

3D-Color Matrix Metering II with ambient light sensor and 1,005-pixel RGB sensor further improves on Nikon’s acclaimed exposure metering system

High-speed, high-precision 11-area AF system with 9 cross-type AF sensors deliver quick response and sharp focus, even under the most challenging shooting conditions

Two new Adobe RGB color modes further expand professional color space options and also support for sYCC color space

Excellent response with instant power-up and ultra-fast 52ms shutter release lag

Top shutter speed of 1/8,000 second and flash sync speeds up to 1/250 second

Faster read/write speed for the memory card and a USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface for faster image transfer

Large 2.5-inch LCD monitor for easy access to settings and information, as well as clear, flicker-free image preview

Creative in-camera effects, Image Overlay and Multiple Exposure

Functions such as World Time, automatic rotation of vertical compositions expand possibilities

Lightweight, durable magnesium body

Full support for Nikon's Creative Lighting System when used with the SB-800 or SB-600 Speedlights

In addition to DX Nikkor lenses, the D200 supports more than 50 AF Nikkor lenses

Nikon’s PictureProject software is included, enabling easy control over image adjustment and management

Support for Nikon Capture 4 (version 4.3), a software application with the tools to assist the professional photographer

NEF (RAW) format for the utmost in versatile, effective image control and correction

JPEG and NEF (RAW) Combination Filing System enables simultaneous recording of NEF and JPEG data for the same shot

source link:
http://alpseb.free.f...ngNikonD200.htm

I am not familiar with Nikon pre-release-leaks, but this sounds quite real to me.

Julian
| Canon 5D I+II / Sealux CC5-GD I+II custom converted | 2x Ikelite DS-125 | ULCS |

#47 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:23 PM

"Two new Adobe RGB color modes further expand professional color space options and also support for sYCC color space"

These aren't new. They are on the D2x. I think that this info has been copied and pasted from a D2x brochure and updated in certain areas by the hoaxer.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#48 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:13 AM

Now I am starting to believe the 5D is real. Together with 5D rumors, there were also rumors of a new Canon lens, the 24-105 f/4L USM, well, it appears that the lens is real, check this official Canon site:

Canon 24-105

So, if the lens is real, I suspect the camera may be too.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#49 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:33 PM

Luiz, you make my day! this lens was on the same Canon site screenshot (which was offline shortly afterwards of course) together with the 5D :)

Julian

#50 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:38 PM

Yes, that's why I think the 5D is real too! :)

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#51 kriptap

kriptap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 01:33 PM

More info just out:

http://news.techwhac...nally-unveiled/

#52 laz217

laz217

Salty Pirate

• PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:48 PM

After reading the article and everyone's comments I must say this might be a step up for those in the underwater photography community who complained about the limitation of wide angle photography with the Canon - although image quality remains to be seen.

On a side note: After reading day in and day out about the new advances in cameras it cracks me up to see just how 'digital' the photography industry has become. What I mean by this is how it evolves in very much the same way as computers do. It seems the hardware is always leaps and bounds ahead of the software end. Here we have all these fancy cameras yet we're still struggling with using multiple software applications in an attempt to produce decent results (ie. our varying results when attempting to reproduce sunburst with different applications) and keep some sort of sanity in the organization (ie. IPTC data implemention) of our now thousands of photographs shot in one day (slight exaggeration - I hope - for the fish's sake).

I can certainly understand the ambivalence that film photographers might feel towards digital. Their old, simple ways have been replaced with countless hours in front of a PC (not to mention the hours spent reading books on Photoshop This And That) only to attempt to reproduce 'the moment' they know they captured.

May the force be with us.

PS - I predict after this whole digital craze is played out, Canon and Nikon will do like Ford has done with the T-Bird and Mustang -- we'll all be shooting with digital versions of Kwanon and Nikon I. :)
Lazaro Ruda
Soap box: TheLivingSea.com

#53 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 07:43 PM

Canon and Nikon will do like Ford has done with the T-Bird and Mustang -- we'll all be shooting with digital versions of Kwanon and Nikon I. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or the unthinkable, like the first Canon rangefinder that where made, will we see Nikon suplying lenses to Canon for its camera bodies :) :D :D :D
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively