#1 Diver@68

Diver@68

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography & biking

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:53 AM

Hi,

Owned a Subal housing for NIKON 801 SLR Camera. Recently just bought dome port for 105 mm lens. Which one would you prefer using the Nikon 105mm macro 1:1 or Sigma 105mm 1:1? What are the pros & cons of the individual lens apart from the price which is obviously the Nikon will cost more than Sigma.

How 'bout using the Vivitar 100mm macro with adaptor ring 1:1?

Please advise accordingly...

Singapore
Diver@68

#2 scubacrazy

scubacrazy

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:20 PM

Hi, I personally use Nikon Lenses. I have the 105mm lens, and I believe it is worth the extra money over the Sigma. One thing to note though, you say you have a DOME port for the 105. The 105 needs to sit behind a flat port, NOT a dome !! :lol:
Good luck in making your choice

#3 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:28 PM

Subal build a manual or autofocus port for the Nikon lens - if you ever want this option in the future it will not be available for the Sigma as far as I am aware. I'd go for the Nikon.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#4 Matetes

Matetes

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:59 AM

Hi
I've got both lenses and I truly believe that the Nikon is not worth the extra money over the Sigma.
In my opinion, Sigma's optical quality is as good as Nikon's, if not better. True, Nikon is more solid built, but for underwater use this is not important (always my opinion)...
I've not found any noticeable difference in autofocus speed...
But, you should take in consideration:
-At 1:1 position, Sigma is longer than Nikon
-Sigma is noisier than Nikon (and that can be a problem with skittisk animals)...

Both are very reliable.... And I've also tried the Tamron 90mm and is also very, very good....
Hope it helps
Cheers
Matetes
Matetes
D70, Hugyfot housing, 2 Inon 220, Sea&Sea YS90,

#5 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:27 AM

Nikon manufacturers their own glass to control quality as part of their operations. They have the finest optics available in my opinion. I'd go with Nikon, although Sigma is a good product as well.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#6 Diver@68

Diver@68

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:37 PM

Thanks to all for the vital informations. Another option I'm thinking is to get the Nikon macro 60mm with extension tube - will it works & is it more easy to take underwater?

Somebody just offer me Vivitar 100mm macro with 1:1 adaptor.. will it take good pictures as compare with the Nikon or Sigma 105mm?

I'm really lost, please help...

#7 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 03:37 AM

Most modern macro lenses will produce excellent results! What you need to consider is; will the lens fit behind the port that you own (including fully extended) and is it possible to get an aperture gear to use on the lens? Subal primarily supported Nikon lenses with many Sigmas being catered for too. BUT the Sigma lenses have changed more often and tracking down an aperture ring may be tricky (I've got loads but its a matter of trying them on each lens, as some lenses changed in their aperture ring size as they were upgraded). If you already have a Nikon aperture ring then I would say that your choice really does narrow down to Nikon and since you say that you have a 105mm port, I would stick to that lens. Any other lens may give you problems either in fitting it into the port or you may be unable to get an aperture gear for it. As macro shots are usually taken at f/16 or close to it, an aperture gear is not absolutely essential providing that you preset this aperture, but is still highly useful and you would find not having one very limiting.

Also bear in mind that a Nikon lens will probably cost little more to repair (should it ever need repairing) and will retain its value better than the others. You do not need a 'D' (later) lens for the F801 and you should be able to find an older and cheaper non-'D' AF lens to use quite easily.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#8 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 07:44 AM

Great points and well said. The biggest hassle is to get excited about a lens and then hire a private detective to hunt down a gear.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#9 Diver@68

Diver@68

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 05:21 PM

Many thanks to Paul for the details explaination, it's really helps me alot in undertanding the topic. Now, scout around locally & around the net for the NIKON 105mm macro. Any websites you will recommend besides ebay & BHPhoto..
;)

#10 Claude

Claude

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 06:53 AM

Thanks to all for the vital informations.  Another option I'm thinking is to get the Nikon macro 60mm with extension tube - will it works & is it more easy to take underwater?

I'm using the 60mm with a Kenko MC7 2x lens (which can be used in the 105 flat port) : it works fine regarding quality and you can take 2:1 pictures which is great. The problem: it slow down the AF.
Claude
www.Aquatilia.com
Nikon D300 - Sea & Sea housing

#11 onokai

onokai

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo-Diving-Tuna fishing

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:32 AM

Nikon has the best lensperiod. As far as the ex tubes they work but slow the af . Hoe about a 200mm lens instead. Mark
2 Subal procase 5- Housings
2 Aquatica f/3 housings
Nikon film f/5's and f/3's cameras
Way to many strobes to list
All that Nikonos junk
and now a subal d300 setup
Still a film divasourus with a baby toe in digital world