• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:43 PM

How long was the ride out on the dinghy? The sea did not look very calm! My main bane of scuba diving, motion sickness!  ;) I once threw up on  a 2 minute boat ride from the beach in front of the hotel to the divesite in Dumaguette, the Philippines  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Errr in that case, I'm glad Eric is doing this trip. The seas usually are ocean swells with wind either creating counter-waves (BIG and ROUGH!) or just rough. And you are out on the boat ALL DAY! :D Also don't forget... it is winter there so even if you can handle the water temp, you come up to cold breeze which can bring your core temp down very quickly.
Actually I remember Dumaguette has an offshore wind which causes swelly conditions.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#22 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:32 PM

Errr in that case, I'm glad Eric is doing this trip. The seas usually are ocean swells with wind either creating counter-waves (BIG and ROUGH!) or just rough. And you are out of the boat ALL DAY! :D  Also don't forget... it is winter there so even if you can handle the water temp, you come up to cold breeze which can bring your core temp down very quickly.
Actually I remember Dumaguette has an offshore wind which causes swelly conditions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ouch, I might have to rethink this kind of trip! The time in Dumaguette that I threw up, it was a quick boat ride from El Dorado resort to Atlantis housereef so it was not even a trip over to Apo Island (I threw up there too). Although as I get older, motion sickness seemed less severe (may be I am just used to it). Last Lembeh trip was the first time in a long time that I did not throw up even once. The liveaboard crews who were used to see me heaving in dinghy, upon surfacing, resting on the boat were very very surprise! ;)

How many dives did you do in one day. While the camera battery won't be an issue, I could see problem with strobe batteries and possibly CF card (unless I can afford an 8 GB card). Were you on a big boat and just get the dinghy to drop you off at bait ball (hopefully not in small boat all day long)?

#23 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:19 PM

SSRA30
I linked a report on the run... you may want to read it before sending in the check.

Somewhere in there is the report.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#24 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for the link and a very good reading, hmmm, yes, I wil definitely have to rethink this whole sardine run. Incredible dives but geez....
A while I go, I heard of an island not too far from Bali that also has similar baitball type dive, major cleaning station for Mola Mola etc. Anyone has any idea where that is. It is kind of a bit out of the way with supposedly only one dive operator. It is not Nusa Penida or other places around Bali that most people usually go diving.

#25 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for the link and a very good reading, hmmm, yes, I wil definitely have to rethink this whole sardine run. Incredible dives but geez....
A while I go, I heard of an island not too far from Bali that also has similar baitball type dive, major cleaning station for Mola Mola etc. Anyone has any idea where that is. It is kind of a bit out of the way with supposedly only one dive operator. It is not Nusa Penida or other places around Bali that most people usually go diving.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SHHHHH!!!! Don't tell anyone about that!

Drew

#26 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:33 AM

HOw big is the download?

Would love to see it but don't have patience...i hate my slow internet....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mike, just for you and other modem users, here is a 6.3MB file of the same video for the modem types. You will need Quicktime 7.0 for both and ON2 codec for the big file.
Mini sards vid 6.3 MB
The big sard 13.8MB

Drew

#27 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:54 AM

Justin and Shawn... just so you guys feel some pain:

Here's some diver with baitballs:
Video of divers with baitballs

You will need quicktime 7 to view these.

Drew

#28 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:23 AM

Hey Drew that was cool, did you shoot that on ya PD170 it was 4.3?

Those birds are amazing, what a great expreience. I bet ya got into deco as well :lol:
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#29 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:27 AM

Yup PD170 at 5:4
And that alarm going off isn't mine... I've got enough headaches on the run not to go chasing after baitballs at different depths.

Drew

#30 jbonehoss

jbonehoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Diving: Indonesia, Thailand, Bahamas

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:55 AM

Damn you Drew - you're driving a stake through my heart! :lol: :lol:

Really - awesome bait action with nice viz - but if I were to come I would be the guy swimming all over your video and ruining the ball. haha
Justin Ebert : Addicted to Compressed Air
Nikon D70s : Sea & Sea Housing : 10.5mm, 15mm, 17-35mm

#31 jbonehoss

jbonehoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Diving: Indonesia, Thailand, Bahamas

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:59 AM

Oh yeah - and I *still* can't take you seriously until you fix your broken link avatar :lol:

BTW, I also was re-checking out the Sardine Run Teaser you have up there...man that is out of control incredible! I like the music with it also...gets me revved up for big animal action.
Justin Ebert : Addicted to Compressed Air
Nikon D70s : Sea & Sea Housing : 10.5mm, 15mm, 17-35mm

#32 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:30 AM

Scubadru,
I loved it, the music fit the mood. Really look forward to a final cut. Anytime I see something that makes me envious, it has to be good. I'm green and its not easy being green.;-)
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#33 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:25 AM

Drew,
Great diver shots...what was the dark mass behind all the divers and bubblles? Plankton, polution, cloud cover...oh that's right...sardines!

Ok...so rub it in. If we had said..."nah, not interested" that would be just cause to rub it in. But we said "damn, would kill to go but will be killed if we do". that is more grounds for pitty than anything us.

Mercy, mercy and please don't tell us how great it was when you return.

Shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#34 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:34 PM

Apologies, seems the render was corrupted by my bum graphics card. Anyhow the corrected version is up and even smaller since it's MP4.

Justin and Shawn... how do they say it in Boulder... eat your heart out baby!

Drew

#35 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:16 AM

Dru, can't speak for Justin and Shawn, but I certainly did.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#36 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:57 PM

Shawn just for laughing about my housing saga, here's 2003 and 2004... reactivated just for you!

2003 video

2004 video

Drew

#37 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:43 PM

Drew - just downloaded the big one - absolutely awesome. Incredible action, well cut, tells the story better than anything I've ever seen (and that includes that French doco/movie a few years back).

Can't believe you did the music and the movie - talk about multi talented!!

Are you going back this year?
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#38 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:41 AM

Sure Anthony. I go every year. Wetpixel is going too... you should come... it's more fun than the tuna (but you do get bigger sharks there.)

Drew

#39 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:40 PM

Would give just about anything to come Drew. Thanks for the invite.

I looked with wishful eyes at the wetpixel trip and tried to figure out how to pay for such a thing, but at this stage, I doubt I could even afford the flights :)

Now...if only I could figure out how to get Forbes to pay for it...

:blink: :o
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#40 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:27 AM

Waitminnit mate
I happen to know that Australia has cheap flights out of the country. I worked in Oz for 1 year + and returned often cos my RTW tix originated from there (ok there was this "sheila" in sydney too).
No big business so Forbes won't be interested.

Drew