12 replies to this topic

#1 ahplee

ahplee

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:06 AM

Hi all,

I am considering housing my Canon 20d in Ikelite housing to replace my Olympus c5050.

What are going to be my trade offs and benefits? I currently use the setup with one ds125 strobes plus I have the Inon uwl-100 wide angle lens which can be removed or added under water.

I will be traveling to Curacao in a few weeks and cannot afford to buy a full range of lenses at the current time.
I need a base lens to start with. I wanted to know if anyone would recommend the canon 17 to 85 lens as a starting lens and has anyone had any experiences with this lens. Are there any other recommendations that you can make? Should I just buy a macro lens or just a wide angle lens or is there a compromise that will allow me good all around shooting of fish scenery and little creatures.

Thanks in Advance

Patrick

#2 huguito

huguito

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:50 AM

What do YOU like to shoot?

Hugo

#3 ahplee

ahplee

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:02 AM

I like to shoot a variety of things from tiny blenys to big animal encounters to reef scenes. With my current system I have been able to shoot tiny blenys, clown fish, fish portraits, like groupers at a cleaning station underwater scenery and big animals. I was lucky to shoot all of those on a 10 day liveaboard in Thailand a year and a half ago.

With my current system I can do all of it with the addition of the Inon lens. What I don't like about my current system in the Olympus housing is the difficulty needed to do certain functions which requires holding down 2 buttons and rotating a dial. The other major factor is shutter lag, thus the desire to change.
I understand I may have only one choice per dive but wanted to know if there was a lens that give me more options. On my up coming trip I don't expect big animals and only a couple of reef scenes if any so my immediate needs would be macro and fish portraits. Is there one lens that might cover these two areas of interest?

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1515 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 27 August 2005 - 02:37 PM

For macro and fish portraits, I like the 60 mm macro lens. You can add on diopters to make it go to supermacro too if you want. Overall, I don't think there is one lens that can match the range of the 5050 plus an Inon. If that is where you want to go you might look at some of the newer P&S guys that have much less shutter lag than older versions. Or you could get two housings and a dive buddy/sherpa to carry one for you.

Bill'

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 bandit

bandit

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 11:47 AM

I use the 60 mm Macro EF-S as my favorite lense as well. It can go from 1:1 (no diopter required) to fish portraits without a problem. You will have to back off from the big critters to frame them, but it work great for turtles and such.

#6 ahplee

ahplee

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:02 AM

Thanks for the helpful info. I'm going to purchase the 60 mm Macro lens to start with. It sounds like it cover 75 percent of what I shoot. and it fits my budget.

I still have the buring desire to go over budget and buy more. So here's another question. What are the differences between the canon 10 - 22mm and the sigma 15mm fisheye. What are the difference above and below water and which is better for the 20d. Will there be any lense flare with the 15mm fisheye? Can the gel filters be used on the 10-22mm lens?

Thanks again

#7 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:11 AM

I still have the buring desire to go over budget and buy more. So here's another question. What are the differences between the canon 10 - 22mm and the sigma 15mm fisheye. What are the difference above and below water and which is better for the 20d. Will there be any lense flare with the 15mm fisheye? Can the gel filters be used on the 10-22mm lens?

Thanks again

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Easier to link you to a picture of the coverage of the lenses.

Above water you will notice the fisheye effect of the 15mm. Underwater, not so much so. I have a 10D and the 10-22 won't work on it so I can't relate any experience with that lens except to say that almost everyone I know that uses it is very happy with it.

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#8 ahplee

ahplee

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:20 AM

Thanks all,
I jumped in and bought the housing, sync cord 15 mm FE and the 60 mm Macro and ports. Now I have to read up on the forums for some techniques and general favorite settings. If any one has some links about starting points for camera please point me to them.

Thanks
Patrick

#9 dmoss

dmoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:55 AM

Hi Patrick
I recently upgraded from a 5060 to 20D. Have only had the 20D in the pool so far, but will take it to Bonaire in November. There are a lot of 20D folks in the forums that can head you in the right direction. You might try looking at their galleries to pick up some settings to start with as well as some shooting techniques. Matt Segal has a good website with photos and EXIF data that might give you some tips. There are others as well so do some searching. Matt's site is:
www.carbonos.com
Enjoy the new rig !!
David
Canon 5D, Ikelite

My Flickr Photos

#10 caminu

caminu

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:39 PM

here is the view angle comparison between Canon 15mm FE and Sigma 10-20
(shot with D60)

Sigma 10-20 at 10
Posted Image

Canon EF 15mm fisheye
Posted Image

#11 ahplee

ahplee

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:31 AM

I just got my 60 mm Macro and 15 mm FE lens, ports and housing. I'll be using it with one ds125 strobe and TLC arm. I can't believe how heavy this rig is. I feel as if this rig is going to give me task overload over my c5050. I hope it's just as fun underwater. I have to say the 20d is a pleasure to shoot on land.

I still have to figure out how to pack this stuff. The last trip I made I was asked to check in my rolling carry on which I was not prepared to do. I almost had a heart attack worrying about my gear. Any packing tips will be appreciated.

Thanks again for your help.

#12 ahplee

ahplee

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:36 AM

I tried to go to Matt's site but got an error that it could not find the default language eng when I was looking at the galleries. Does anyone else have this problem?

#13 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:10 PM

I tried to go to Matt's site but got an error that it could not find the default language eng when I was looking at the galleries. Does anyone else have this problem?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry about that - my host has been working on some of the php/mysql database backbone over the last week or so...everything should be alright now :unsure:

~Matt Segal
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba