• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:22 AM

If I remember correctly, the octopus incubation period is about 50 days... you have a good chance... get some 10:1 of the eggs! Khaw hoi chok dee!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmmm 10:1, I wish! I am now absolutely broke otherwise I was very tempted to get the sigma 150mm with a diopter. That could be a lot of fun. For now I am stuck with 70-180mm with 6T diopter. May be I can steal my divebuddy's 105mm with double teleconverter :)

First time I saw bluerign octopus before I really knew what it was, I just stick my C5050 right next to it to get a picture. Now that somebody told me how poisonous it is, I am a bit wary :) Ignorance is blissed (sometimes) ;)

#22 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 05:45 PM

I like Rod Klein's photography. Even in Lembeh he still manages to produce original shots. Alex

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It helps to be there weeks and months at a time. It's like living in the playboy mansion for a 15 year old hetero male. ;)
I remember in 2001 when Rod was in KBR I believe the first or second time... he didn't know a melibes from a phyllodesmium... now look where he is.

SSRA30
I believe there is an organ market somewhere on Rachadapisek Rd...opps wrong market :P

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#23 larrym

larrym

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:40 PM

Really nice collection! (How do you get the fish to yawn??) Tell us about your equiment you were using for these...

Larry M

#24 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:52 PM

SSRA30
I believe there is an organ market somewhere on Rachadapisek Rd...opps wrong market  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alright, I think I might be willing to part with my left cornea for the 150mm (only need my right eye for the view finder!) or sell my hair to the wig factory. However, I have to save one kidney and one liver lobe for the D3 and housing :P

Shoosh! don't tell anyone about the market on Rachadapisek! B)

#25 Ron Boyes

Ron Boyes

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:02 PM

Really nice collection!  (How do you get the fish to yawn??)  Tell us about your equiment you were using for these...

Larry M

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Larry,

I am using a Nikon D2X in a Subal Housing and a 70-180mm Zoom Lens with a Nikon SB800 Flash in a Subal Housing.

How do you make a fish yawn? - patience and luck are the only way I have found, it took almost 40 mins to get the shot.
I gave up waiting on the red hairy frogfish - as our dives were limited to 60mins - maybe next time.
ron
Ron Boyes
http://www.imagesdownunder.com.au
Nikon D2X - Subal Housing
Lens:70-180mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm & 10.5mm
Strobes: SB800 Inon Z220 x 2

#26 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:15 PM

Hi Larry,

I am using a Nikon D2X in a Subal Housing and a 70-180mm Zoom Lens with a Nikon SB800 Flash in a Subal Housing.

How do you make a fish yawn? - patience and luck are the only way I have found, it took almost 40 mins to get the shot.
I gave up waiting on the red hairy frogfish - as our dives were limited to 60mins - maybe next time.
ron

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks for the tip, I supposed with the number of hairy frogfish they have at Hairball currently, I hope nobody else would mind if I go and squat on one of the frogfish for an hour or so ;)

#27 Rodk

Rodk

Brine Shrimp

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:52 PM

For those interested you can visit the "other" Lembeh gallery at this link Lembeh / Manado Images July / August 05 This includes "another" blue ring with eggs image...

#28 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 06:40 AM

For those interested you can visit the "other" Lembeh gallery at this link Lembeh / Manado Images July / August 05 This includes "another" blue ring with eggs image...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Beautiful. I wish I did not see the gallery 5 days before I am leaving for Lembeh. Don't know why I would even bother taking my camera after seeing your gallery ;)

#29 3@5

3@5

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:43 AM

I wish I did not see the gallery 5 days before I am leaving for Lembeh.

well it does give us something to aim for... then again i have 17 days to wait ponder and get over those images before i get to lembeh...

i have been looking at all these lembeh photos and trying to learn. next step trying to put that in practice ;)
Paul Papadopoulos
canon 1dmkII + seacam silver + inon z220
My Webpage

#30 AL N.

AL N.

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:22 PM

O.K...I just deleted all my images off my hard drive.

Maybe I should stick to what I'm good at...

drinking.

Nice photos.

Al Nelson
Al Nelson
Canon 20D, Ikelite 20D, Dual Ikelite DS-125's,
Canon EF-S 10-22mm, Canon EF-S 60mm

#31 wchen

wchen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:07 PM

wow, what an awe inspiring gallery!

those are among the best seahorse pics I've ever seen. that's not to discount the others which are also awesome. especially the ribbon eel (the angle is really cool) and the stargazers. It would be nice to get your EXIFs.

#32 Ron Boyes

Ron Boyes

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:45 PM

wow, what an awe inspiring gallery!

those are among the best seahorse pics I've ever seen. that's not to discount the others which are also awesome. especially the ribbon eel (the angle is really cool) and the stargazers. It would be nice to get your EXIFs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem will include the EXIF when I update the page over the weekend.
Ron Boyes
http://www.imagesdownunder.com.au
Nikon D2X - Subal Housing
Lens:70-180mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm & 10.5mm
Strobes: SB800 Inon Z220 x 2