#1 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 05:32 AM

Group,

Anyone have a quick fast procedure to batch process a folder of images (in iPhoto) for uploading to a web site? I just obtained Photoshop Elements 2.0 newest version, but just wondered if anyone has used a quick, simple method to downsize FINE/LARGE JPEGs of about 2.5-3.0 MB. Plus, will the batch processing shrink files such as these to a quick loading size (<50K)

Ideas?

Thanks,

David Haas
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 03:28 PM

Wish I could help you but I use a PC and Pshop 7. I use the "Web Image Gallery" feature to make a folder of images, a folder of thumbnails, and a folder of pages. If you want you can use these as your gallery - with a little customization.

You have that for the mac?

HTH
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2284 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 08:51 PM

I haven't been using batch processing but I just use Save for Web with PS7 and OS X and 9.2. This will let you size your image to web size. :ph34r:
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#4 gothamboy2000

gothamboy2000

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 07:57 PM

I don't know if iPhoto will do exactly this but certainly Photoshop and ImageReady will allow you to create a "droplet" on your desktop. (The functionality is slightly different between the two applications but the idea is the same.)

In Photoshop 7.0, under the File > Automate > Create Droplet, you can create a stand alone icon that will perform an action on a set of files.

In ImageReady 7.0, in the optimization palette, you can adjust your settings, and then drag the little icon in the palette to your desktop. (Or you can click the icon and tell ImageReady where you'd like the droplet to be created.)

You could also check the site that my wife and I maintain (http://www.adobeevangelists.com) for tutorials on this.

Daniel Brown
Sr. Evangelist
Adobe Systems Inc.
Danielb@adobe.com

#5 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 02:20 AM

I'm trying to compress and resize a large number of images using PS7 or imageready. I figured out how to automate JPEG compression using the imageready droplet, but I can't make it automatically resize. Can this be done?
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#6 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 02:05 PM

Thanks, Daniel!

Is there a way to tag jpg files with a specific colorspace without having re-save (and re-compress)? I suppose I could just write something to do it, but if something exists already, it would save some time. :huh:
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#7 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 02:40 PM

Far be it from me to offer advice when we have an Adobe Evangelist around :huh:

BUT

Yes, iPhoto can do what you are asking for, and could be automated if you wrote an Applescript for it...

Exporting a group of images:

Select the images you want from the library
OR
Move the images you want to process into a folder, then select that folder in the folder browser

Select File>Export

In the export dialog, change the popup menu to JPG (it will default to Original, meaning that a .psd file remains a .psd, etc etc)
Specify the dimensions you want. It is smart enough to know that a horizontal aspect ratio image should remain horizontal, so if you specify max 400x600 and the image is horizontal, it will actually be resized to 600x400.

Click export, it will prompt you for a location to save the files

And away you go. :freak:

Personally, I have made actions to resize down from 25Mb plus files to about 5 different pixel size jpgs, with varying jpg quality and some unsharp masking on the way. I then converted these to droplets from Photoshop 7, as others have suggested.

The iPhoto export works fine with a large number of smaller files, or a small number of large files (the aforementioned 25Mb scans), but does get a little slow and flaky with a large number of large files. For these the Photoshop droplets are much more robust.
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#8 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 02:43 PM

I'm trying to compress and resize a large number of images using PS7 or imageready.  I figured out how to automate JPEG compression using the imageready droplet, but I can't make it automatically resize.  Can this be done?

Yes,

Just start recording an action with a file open, then step through the resizing via Image Size commands. Follow each one with a Save For Web and you can specify a target size for the jpeg.

Once you have done with the last resize and save, click the stop button to stop recording the action.

Then you can make a droplet from the action under the Automate menu.

When you are done it should look something like this in the Actions menu

Posted Image
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#9 2mike

2mike

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 11:16 AM

David, for super simple, extremely flexible batch processing under Win/Mac/Linux, nothing beats ImageMagick. Mike
it arrived! now waiting for the housing etc...