Aiming Lights

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#121 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2181 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:05 AM

Has anyone used the Sola 600 for a focus light?

That's what it's meant for, I believe, and, in both white and red modes, it's better than anything I've used before.

Tim

:)

#122 billmackbarnes

billmackbarnes

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

Has anyone tried a blue filter for their focus light?
I am using a Sola 600 and love it, but some critters still sense the red light and I wanted to try blue.
I would really like to have a blue lens in a slip on rubber cover.
Does anyone know where to get one?

Thanks
Bill

#123 Mooseman1007

Mooseman1007

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:38 AM

Has anyone compared the Sola500P and the Sola600P ? Besides not having the red mode, the 500P is significantly cheaper and you could always add a red filter externally, but it would be nice to know how much brighter the 600 is....is it 180 brighter ??? I know the range is now the 500 then the 800, but i guess there are still plenty of 600P's around. Similarly has anyone compared the 500 or 600 with the Itorch Video Pro3 ? The only comparisons I can find are with the sola800 which is obviously much more powerful (and more expensive)
Anyone got any input
Mooseman

#124 Aliens

Aliens

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

I have the SOLA 1200 three settings of white and 3 settings on red. About to try out in Komodo. Will mainly use this as a focus light. Have a Inon L650 will mount under my Inon strobe to change this over to an aiming light

#125 SMY

SMY

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:51 AM

After nearly three years passed since the last reply.....any new focus light ideas? I currently have two YS-D1s but there built in focus lights are not strong enough for me.....my wish is a Focus light with additional red light and automatic switch off while flashing....and stronger than the built in Focus lights.....any ideas?

#126 SMY

SMY

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:24 AM

What do you think about the Fix Neo 1000 Mini WR FS?

#127 ChrisBergermann

ChrisBergermann

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:23 AM

Hi,

I am not using a focus light yet, but thinking of buy One.

Is it useful that the light turns off, when my Ys-D1's Fire?
And thinking of shy animals, what about red light?! Is there any visible red spots in ur photos?

Thanks for ur thoughts!

Chris

#128 TimG

TimG

Giant Squid

• 1559 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:26 AM

Hey Chris

I do think a red light is worth having and, from my experience, fish don't react anywhere near as adversely to it as they do to white. Many critters I have photographed don't react at all to red.

As for a focussing light auto-switching off when the strobes fire, mine doesn't (a Sola P800) with my Inon Z240 strobes. I don't think I can recall a pic where it made an difference. No hot spots. But then I don't usually have the light on at 100%. I find that unnecessary.

If you shoot macro with, say, a 105mm lens on a FX format, I'd recommend a focus-light. Less necessary I found with a 60mm macro lens. Not necessary at all with wide-angle.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE - Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#129 Trwen

Trwen

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:19 AM

Round coast of Wales this year the viz has been pretty dire, eg av 2m most of the time. Focus light definitely necessary esp close focus WA. Do hope next year the waters have cleared a bit!