• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Decomike

Decomike

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:05 AM

I'm looking for tips, hints and suggestions for our stay in the Dominican Republic (Punta Cana) begin november. Not only underwater but also the nature above.

Gr. Mike.

#2 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:27 AM

Not a real help but recommendation off-topic:
Read the novel: The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa.
Great book and as one that lived 2 years in the Dominican Republic (30 years ago -so I can't really help in useful information) I found this book great as a background for that country.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#3 ATESG

ATESG

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:19 PM

i was in the DR a year and a half ago. didn't get to punta cana but dove in La Romana and on the north shore. we loved the DR, people were great. north shore diving was so so, but La Romana was super. understand that this is an extremely poor country, the poorest we have seen. no one outside of the tourist areas speaks english. be VERY careful if you rent a car, roads are not that good.
here is a link to my photos from the DR (and others) http://www.public.asu.edu/~elliotg/
elliott

#4 Decomike

Decomike

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 11:48 PM

So far thanks guys. Scubacaribe is the dive centre at our stay. The offer a trip to Catalina Island and the wreck "Saint George", both very commercial or really nice to dive??

I read something about cave(rn) diving in a dutch magazine. Does anybody know a site with more information about that?

Gr. Mike.

#5 elbuzo

elbuzo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Photography + cave diving

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:42 PM

HOLA MIKE

ISLA CATALINA HAVE A VERY COLORFUL WALL DIVE , VERY GOOD FOR WIDE ANGLE .
SAINT GEORGE IS QUITE A BIG WRECK AND I LIKED FOR B&W AMBIENT LIGHT .
BOTH PLACES ARE ABOUT 1 HOUR DRIVE FROM PUNTA CANA UP TO LA ROMANA , WHERE YOU TAKE THE BOAT.

DIVING AT PUNTA CANA IS SO SO , BUT IS A GOOD PLACE FOR CAVE DIVING . I SUGGEST THAT YOU CONTACT DENIS @ GOLDEN ARROW ( www.cavediving.com.do ) . ALSO IF YOU CAN OBTAIN THE LAST ISSUE OF FATHOMS MAGAZINE , YOU WILL FIND AN ARTICLE ABOUT CAVE DIVING AT DR.

YOU WILL HAVE BEAUTIFUL BEACHES JUST IN FRONT OF YOUR HOTEL BUT BESIDES THAT IS NOT A LOT TO DO THERE . ABOUT 30 MINUTES WEST FROM LA ROMANA IS A DRY CAVE ( CUEVA DE LAS MARAVILLAS ) WITH A LOT OF PICTOGRAPHY FROM THE INDIANS , VERY INTERESTING AND EASY .

I LIVE AT DR SO IF YOU NEED MORE INFO , LET ME KNOW

REGARDS

EL BUZO

#6 Decomike

Decomike

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 11:09 PM

Thanks El.

I will try to get FATHOMS MAGAZINE. There are several foreign magazine you can get here in The Netherlands but never heard about this one. Is this there site, www.fathomspub.com ? Maybe the want to send me a copy. There latest one is #11, that's the one with the article?

Gr. Mike.

#7 el buzo

el buzo

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 11:24 AM

YES THAT IS THEIR WEB PAGE

THE ISSUE WITH THE CAVE DIVING ARTICLE IS THE #13 , WITH A POLAR BEAR AND CUBS AT THE COVER.

YOU CAN FIND SOME FURTHER INFO ABOUT THE CAVES AT THE WEB PAGE THAT I SENT YOU

GOOD LUCK

EL BUZO