5 replies to this topic

#1 divegirrrl

divegirrrl

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:27 PM

Hello!

I'm hoping that someone out there could give me some advice as to which housing is better for this camera?

Also, this will be my first experience taking this or any nice camera diving so I have a lot of questions... some basic things like how often do I need to lube up the seals and how can I protect my camera from moisture... and any other advice for this novice would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your time!

#2 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1202 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:47 PM

Ikelite hands down. Much more rugged.

We all use silica gel packs in the cases to cut any left over humidity.

If you're interested in this set-up I'd suggest you also look over at http://digitaldiver.net, there are a lot of people using them (includ myself). Do a search for F810 and you'll find a wealth of posts.

Jack
Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line -
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean: Above & Below
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#3 tie

tie

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:03 PM

I did fine in Hawaii with the Ikelite housing and no silica gel packs. Even with opening and closing the housing several times a day out in the open (no air conditioning) to change batteries. I think the battery life is poor enough that it can't heat up to cause condensation. ;) Some example images are over in the consumer digicams forum, worked quite well for me.

#4 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:08 AM

My understanding is the Fuji has condensation issues that at minimum require diligent use of silica packs. The Ikelite, larger and more solid has had less of this issue.

I have not housed my 810 yet but, do think it is a great little camera without shutter lag.
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#5 divegirrrl

divegirrrl

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:02 AM

;) Thanks everyone for your imput! I feel comfortable going with my decision on the Ikelite! :) And I will buy a bunch of those silica packets :)

Katherine

#6 kthan

kthan

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:11 AM

Katherine, you should check out some new photos by Dr Bob with his F810 over at www.digitaldiver.net

I was swayed into getting the F810 by the F810 users in digitaldiver.