• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:56 AM

Canon's new XLH1 just upped the ante in the HDV world, esp with 30F and 24F and switchable to PAL/NTSC (unfortunately a factory upgrade) and 25F. It'll be interesting to see if 30F will bring a decent slow-mo solution to HDV. Of course it won't be a F900 or even 750.
CANON XLH1
Unfortunately the old XL1 housings were massive. And this one will probably have maybe 2-3 housing manufacturers tops. Still this camera promises some cool HDV solutions esp with the HD-SDI direct output.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:50 AM

Thanks Drew

This should be interesting. Seeing as that most of the Sony housings are just coming up now, how many will jump on this one.

Good to see some competition in the arena cuz i really don't think the JVC is serious competition to the Sony.

But, as is the fact in the DV, i still can only see Canon taking a small percentage of the UW market even if the product is superior in some ways. (maybe, maybe not...haven't read the link yet...)

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:31 PM

That's true. HD-SDI output isn't a factor for u/w use but for the budget doco shooter it makes a big difference. I think the low light performance should be as good as the Sony with the bigger CCDs and wider lense. Will be interesting as a choice topside...but form factor will probably marginalize its market as you say.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 curtisleo

curtisleo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:19 AM

I'm wondering what the image difference would be between the HD lens vs the XL1/2 XL lens.

HD-SDI and SD-SDI out on this camera for under $9k, many studios and indi type films will use it.