your thoughts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deep3dude

deep3dude

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography, kayaking.

Posted 16 September 2005 - 02:53 AM

I just upgraded my underwater 'rig' from a P&S to a 10D in an Ikelite housing with 2 Ikelite DS125 strobes and some new lenses so I am somewhat task challenged at present. The following picture was taken in some fairly cloudy water on Vancouver Island. I had the strobes set at about 45 degrees to try and minimize scatter.
The camera was set to F13 at 180th of a second , 1600 ISO (OOPS).
I had been shooting small objects and decided to try some other subjects as this was the first outing with the 100mm.

http://www.shutterfr...water/IMG_9662m

#2 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 05:38 AM

Pretty nice image. It looks a little washed out but that's probably due to the 1600ISO. This kind of shot, you should be using your lowest ISO. The focus and composition are good but the fishes head is too centered. It looks like you locked your center focus bracket on his eye. Try using the other focus points or try focusing manually.
Larry Oberlander My Webpage
Nikon D200, Aquatica AD200

#3 deep3dude

deep3dude

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography, kayaking.

Posted 16 September 2005 - 05:48 AM

The ISO was left over from an experiment earlier. I did use the center focus on this shot and have recently been moving it around.

Thanks for the sugestions.

#4 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1597 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:00 AM

Plus if you did any PS corrections without protecting the whites, you will blow them out. That combined with a high ISo could certainly give you the look you are getting.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#5 expatdiver

expatdiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Golf, Darts, Brewing

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:59 AM

without protecting the whites

Can you expand on what that means? I have just started to use PS in a more detailed way and would like to know what you mean.

I normally use the eye dropper in levels to set the white point, and then use select range & replace color (lightness slider) to reduce the white level to ~248. I was tought this by my instrustor, and it seems to give me nice results. Is this a good method?
Nikon D70s w/Ikelite Housing, Dual DS-125 Strobes, 10.5 & 105
expatdiver's Photo Galleries