Photo

Industry members, introduce yourselves...

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#41 Undertow

Undertow

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:38 PM

Hello All,

My name is Chris Burville. I'm boarderline in the 'industry' but trying to make my way there. I currently work as a photojournalist for the only daily newspaper in Bermuda and have done so for just over a year. Apart from a short & frustrating stint with a Nik V, my UW photography began about 6 months ago.

I worked as a dive instructor & boat skipper for 4 seasons before moving into news photography. Now I get paid to take photos on land and spend all my money taking photos UW. I'm considering moving into UW photography eventually as a full time gig. No specific plans yet, need a few more pics more under my weight belt first.

I also just shot my first UW based feature on free diving for lobsters (in a well regulated industry) to appear in the bimonthly magazine released free with our newspaper. Feels like a bit of a milestone.

I have already learned heaps from Wetpixel so thanks to you guys for such a great site. Cheers,

Chris
D200, Aquatica, 10.5, sig 15, 12-24, 17-55, 60, 105
3x SB-105

#42 Dupsbear

Dupsbear

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:53 PM

Hello Eric and Everyone,

Barry Guimbellot here. I am, and have been, a Contributing Editor for "Dive Training" and "Dive Center Business" magazines for 10 years and am published monthly in "Dive Training." I am one of the founders, as well as the President of the Dallas Underwater Photographic Society.

I started diving in 1973 and still get the same excitement I had on my very first dive.
I have been a lurker for some time and thought it would be good to join and contribute.

All the best,
Barry

#43 JimDeck

JimDeck

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:41 PM

Hey Everyone,

My name is Jim Decker. I am a scuba instructor and the retail sales manager at Backscatter Underwater Video and Photo in Monterey, CA. Backscatter provides sales, service, instruction, and trips for underwater photo and video. I'll try to help out with questions people may have about photo/video.

Jim
Jim Decker
Backscatter
http://www.backscatter.com
831-645-1082

#44 Johnny Christensen

Johnny Christensen

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:31 AM

Hi there

Well, I guess it's time to introduce myself.
My name is Johnny Christensen, been taking u/w pictures since 1994 where I began the usual mix of things that keeps us in the diving business. Instructing in recreational & technical diving, equipment sales, divemastering on boats, working in a few tropical diveshops, writing articles and supplying pictures to go with that.

But the last 7 years have been strictly focused on my biggest thrill, coldwater wreck photography. Fourtunatly here in Denmark we have a huge selection of wrecks, and if we don't have the particular wreck type that I need in our national waters. It's only a short trip to the friendly neighboruing contries, to seek out that great feeling of discovery and satisfaction that a pristine 200 year old wreck can bring.
As a matter of luck, the people who shoot pictures on our wrecks is kinda limited in numbers. So it's been fairly easy to sell articles and pictures :)

My website is www.johnnychristensen.com if you want to see why it is that I spend my time in cold and dark waters, instead of hopping on a flight to the red sea.

Cheers
Johnny
http://www.johnnychristensen.com
Wreckphotography from the cold north

#45 brendiver

brendiver

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photography (obviously!) Diving related photojournalism, travel writing

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:29 AM

Ha!

Just read John Bantin's intro - scurrilous hack indeed! John, I may have to quote you here, Steve W has sent me your book to review!!

I'm another one of the "hacks" for DIVER magazine, although:

I don't get to do this all the time (it would wear me out!)

People don't shout abuse at me - although there are plenty of people who would do if they knew what I looked like. Just about every article I write seems to upset someone (DIVER magazine - telling it as it is).

I'm just about to take the jump from Nik V to D200 in a housing and I must say, this site is rather excellent at providing the sort of advice I need.

So, which housing should I go for?

"See" you all in the forums

Brendan O'Brien
My Blog - Diving, Travel and Photojournalism at:

Brendiver's World

#46 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1769 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:30 AM

Hi all,

I'm Adam Hanlon, and am full time instructor and manager of the Dive School at Capernwray Diving, based in Lancashire, North West UK.

I'm an ex-pat South African, and I've been diving since 1984. I've just re-found underwater photography, and like many, the digital revolution has massively increased my enjoyment of it.

These boards present a state of the art in information sharing, and I hope to contribute in whatever way I can.

All the best

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#47 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:25 AM

I've been lax in waiting so long to introduce myself as an industry member, so here goes:

My name is Eric Hanauer. For 35 years I was an associate professor of physical eduacation at California State University Fullerton, coached swimming and water polo, and taught the scuba classes there, including advanced and underwater photography. My first diving article was published in Skin Diver Magazine in 1977. I've lost count of how many I've written since then, but it's probably close to 1,000, in all the US magazines and several in other countries. I've also written three books: The Egyptian Red Sea, Diving Micronesia, and Diving Pioneers.

I switched from film to digi in 2001, and continue to use Nikon gear (D2X topside, D200 underwater). About the same time I began shooting and editing underwater video, now doing high def with a Sony HC1. Several of my films have been shown in the San Diego Undersea Film Exhibition, where I'm also a board member (but not involved in judging).

For further information check out my website, www.ehanauer.com

Edited by ehanauer, 13 August 2007 - 07:27 AM.

Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#48 photomrw

photomrw

Clownfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:45 PM

Hi Eric and friends at Wet Pixel,
It's been a long time since I participated in the forums. But I'm back now!! I have the opportunity to photograph and write for some great industry publications. Next year should look even better. When available, I'll keep an eye on the forums to see if I can be of any help with photography or travel issues.

Michele Westmorland
Westmorland Images, LLC

#49 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:59 PM

Hi All,
My name is Mark Thorpe and I work full time as an underwater video camera operator. Until recently I ran my own small shop in Palau in conjunction with the Fish 'n' Fins Dive Shop. I am now just embarking on a permanent position with a specialized department at National Geographic and will be heading up their Crittercam and WildCam projects.

I've been filming for some 15 years and have recently joined forces with two of WetPixels regular contributors, Ethan Daniels and Mike Veitch to form a collaborative effort to create a comprehensive archive of both underwater and topside Ocean related imagery.

For more information on me and my work please visit my web page, thanks.

Mark.
P.S Michelle, kudos for 'Ocean Duets' we stock it here. Wonderful images.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#50 mexicandiver

mexicandiver

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Under Water Photography

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:47 AM

Hello, folks. We're trying to properly identify industry members here at Wetpixel. A lot of industry representatives are browsing these forums; thanksfully, most are careful about what they post because they want to avoid tacky self-promotion.

I'd like an explicit label for industry folk who care to identify themselves. We may enable industry-only features in the future, and it will be nice to have a group already formed.

So if you're an industry member, please leave a message here or send a message to one of the admins! Be sure to include your full name, so we don't just know you as a Wetpixel handle. :)

We're going to define industry members as:

1) you design, manufactur, or sell dive or photo gear

2) you work in a dive shop or are a dive instructor

3) you are a professional photographer (your own definition -- if you are unsure, please let us know what you have done and we'll make a decision for you)

4) you work at a publication in a dive or photo-related area

5) you are a marine biologist with interests in underwater photography

I'm sure I missed something here, so if you don't fit in any of the above categories and still want to be in the group, go ahead and inform us.

Mr. cheng
I moved from Cozumel to Connecticut, you probably saying what I was thinking?
Well #1Love broad me here. and #2 I want to for fill my dream and goal
Which is to become a Professional Underwater Photographer
Any suggestions where should I start?
I would like you to be my mentor?
Please help me.

Gracias!

Mexicandiver.com

#51 chriscrumley

chriscrumley

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:scuba diving, photography, multi-rotor radio controlled aircraft, computers, boats

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

Hello, folks. We're trying to properly identify industry members here at Wetpixel

3) you are a professional photographer (your own definition -- if you are unsure, please let us know what you have done and we'll make a decision for you)

Eric,

Your message was old, but still visible, so I assume you still want to know who's who. I'm #3, a full-time professional photographer and will try to avoid tacky self-promotion (no problem since my client base is not in Wetpixel).

My goal for Wetpixel is to give more than I get.

Chris

#52 vkells

vkells

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:02 PM

Hello, folks. We're trying to properly identify industry members here at Wetpixel. A lot of industry representatives are browsing these forums; thanksfully, most are careful about what they post because they want to avoid tacky self-promotion.

I'd like an explicit label for industry folk who care to identify themselves. We may enable industry-only features in the future, and it will be nice to have a group already formed.

So if you're an industry member, please leave a message here or send a message to one of the admins! Be sure to include your full name, so we don't just know you as a Wetpixel handle. :offtopic:

We're going to define industry members as:

1) you design, manufactur, or sell dive or photo gear

2) you work in a dive shop or are a dive instructor

4) you work at a publication in a dive or photo-related area

5) you are a marine biologist with interests in underwater photography

I'm sure I missed something here, so if you don't fit in any of the above categories and still want to be in the group, go ahead and inform us.

I am a Marine Science Illustrator with over 20 years experience. Completely new to this (or any) forum.

#53 stephanwhelan

stephanwhelan

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:41 AM

Hey everyone - thought i'd post in here as i've lurked for a while.

I'm the founder of DeeperBlue.com (nee DeeperBlue.net). DB is an online editorial and community around Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. We've been around for a while (in some form since 1996) and am proud to be a member of the Underwater Network (UWN) that wetpixel.com is a member of.

I'll see people who are coming to DEMA in a few weeks.

Cheers!

#54 TopWrench

TopWrench

Brine Shrimp

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

Hey everyone, Marshall "Top Wrench" Boyer of Backscatter Underwater Video & Photo here.
I'm in sales and I handle all the in house repairs / customizations. I'm one of the problem solvers here at Backscatter alongside Berkly.

I'd love to help with any questions or service help.

Marshall Boyer
Service Manager
Backscatter Underwater Video & Photo
Backscatter.com
We dive shoot and service everything we sell
Marshall Boyer,
Service Manager
Backscatter Underwater Video & Photo
225 Cannery Row, Monterey, CA 93940
831-645-1082 Marshall@Backscatter.com
http://www.backscatter.com

#55 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:21 AM

Hi to all!
After some time here in WP, I decided to introduce myself properly.
Name is Karel Bernard, and I'm a halftime Scuba Instructor in northern part of Europe.
Mostly diving in really murky water's ... :unsure:

Found and got addicted with UW photography in the spring of 2008.

Best Regards to You all
Scubamoose
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#56 deepsea

deepsea

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Photography, environment, education, as much diving and in water time as possible. Swimming with Humpback Whales and much more.

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:43 AM

Hi

Well I thought this thread might be over, but its good its not

I am Karen Varndell (now Stone since Oct 2008)
I am one of the owners of Dive Vava'u.
I am an instructor and photographer since 1998. (am having to redo my collection after my hard drive went into a puddle in Fiji)

I have been on WP a while but only really contributing recently, its a great place for information and getting ideas.

Thanks to all

Karen
Nikon D200, Sea and Sea Housing, YS250 and YS90 strobes

Personal website http://beyondtheeye.ifp3.com

#57 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6193 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:09 PM

Karen Stone... nope, doesn't work for me :unsure: :D

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#58 deepsea

deepsea

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Photography, environment, education, as much diving and in water time as possible. Swimming with Humpback Whales and much more.

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:12 PM

Karen Stone... nope, doesn't work for me :unsure: :D

Strange huh? Still dont use it yet
Nikon D200, Sea and Sea Housing, YS250 and YS90 strobes

Personal website http://beyondtheeye.ifp3.com

#59 RWBrooks

RWBrooks

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:The Natural World. The Sciences

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:43 PM

Hello everyone
I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Richard Brooks and I run a small photoshop in Palau with a dive school called Fish n' Fins, the same one in fact that Mark Thorpe used to run.
I have been filming and photographing underwater for 8 years but only recently become freelance owning my own equipment.
I don't consider myself an expert only someone who is lucky enough to be able to practice at something he has a passion for in an incredible environment such as Palau.
WetPixel has been and is an incredible resource and I'm very grateful for all the help Ive already received.
All the Best
Richard

Richard Brooks
Media Producer
Federated States of Micronesia

Visit My Website(s)

#60 Roo

Roo

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, swimming, diving

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:47 PM

Hi All

My name is Roger Munns. I'm a Senior Cameraman at Scubazoo, a filming and Photography company based in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysian Borneo. I've only just started getting into wetpixel, and so far my only posts have been equipment sales, but I hope to start making time to have a more active role in discussions here. If you are interested you can check out my profile and download my cv at http://www.scubazoo....html#rogermunns

Best Fishes for the New Year

Roger

Roger Munns
Underwater Cameraman
Homepage|Facebook page|YouTube Channel