Photo

Industry members, introduce yourselves...

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 barttrigger

barttrigger

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, photography, rov,

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:34 AM

Hi all,

First off, thanks to all for your great input in the forum. I've learnt a lot in my short existence within wetpixel.

I'm Badrul Huzaimi or more commonly referred to as Bart by my friends. I'm a marine biology student (some won't believe me when I say that) with interest in coral reproduction, reef monitoring and coral reef ecology/biology. Am actively monitoring the reefs within Peninsular Malaysia and also East Malaysia (on the Bornean side of Malaysia).

Have not been diving that long (only since Mar 2000), and have been taking uw photos since 2001 (first with Nikonos V, then with Canon Ixus V2, then with Canon Powershot A620, and now with the G10). Am new with using strobe as I've just purchased mine yesterday (Sea & Sea YS-110 alpha with ULCS arm etc).

I have loads of uw photos although most of the photos doesn't have good enough resolutions for publication purposes. Anyway, I'm not sure yet how I can contribute back to this site, but I'm sure there'll be some way, some time where I can do that.

A pleasure to meet your acquaintance.

Cheers from tropical Malaysia.

Barttrigger. :P

#62 photojenny

photojenny

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:48 PM

Hello,
I'm Jennifer with www.PlanYourDive.com. We started as a dive planning site as a way to connect the community and help keep new divers going. The planning part has taken off quite nicely up here in the Pacific Northwest with instructors & dive clubs.We've added tide, shop and diver info to help out of towners find local stuff in our area too.

May 15th - June 15th we're having our first photo contest and are hoping to get some nice entries. I couldn't find a place specifically for contest posting, except for the winners, so thought I'd ask here first.

From what I can see this is a great forum. I belong to Open Source Photo (my work is above water) but look forward to coming back when I shoot underwater.
Would love to hear your thoughts on posting with in the forums about our photo contest.

Thanks much!
Jen

#63 Red_Devil

Red_Devil

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:30 PM

Hello, folks. We're trying to properly identify industry members here at Wetpixel. A lot of industry representatives are browsing these forums; thanksfully, most are careful about what they post because they want to avoid tacky self-promotion.

I'd like an explicit label for industry folk who care to identify themselves. We may enable industry-only features in the future, and it will be nice to have a group already formed.

So if you're an industry member, please leave a message here or send a message to one of the admins! Be sure to include your full name, so we don't just know you as a Wetpixel handle. :P

We're going to define industry members as:

1) you design, manufactur, or sell dive or photo gear

2) you work in a dive shop or are a dive instructor

3) you are a professional photographer (your own definition -- if you are unsure, please let us know what you have done and we'll make a decision for you)

4) you work at a publication in a dive or photo-related area

5) you are a marine biologist with interests in underwater photography

I'm sure I missed something here, so if you don't fit in any of the above categories and still want to be in the group, go ahead and inform us.

Hello

My name is Tiago. I'm from Portugal.

I dive since 2002. Portugal is a nice country for dive. Its possible to divein all Portugal coast.

In the future I will send a link to my page with some pics from the underwater live in Portugal.

Thank you to all members.
Best regards
Tiago

#64 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

Mark Thorpe,
RED One owner / operator (when I can get my hands on the damned thing)
Nat Geo Field Producer
Freelance Entity
Producer of own short film projects
Based in Indonesia
Photographic hobby of shooting water droplets!!! Yeah, weird I know.

Diving for 20 or so years
Instructor qualified but never taught.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#65 neilrice

neilrice

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:43 PM

Hello, my name is Neil Rice. I work part time at Scuba Network in Totowa NJ and am in AI training now. My first dives were in Oahu as resort dives but I was sold by the time we finished with the pool instruction that morning. I also hold a valid USCG, 6-pack license and spend many, many hours above the water. Have been an avid saltwater fly fisherman for just under 20 years now.

This last year I began taking some pictures on some of the dives and an now into it hook, line, and Olympus C-5060. I could really use some help from anyone familiar with the best settings for UW photos. I am in the graphics business and am very competent on dry land but this is a bit new to me. Also, pretty good with Adobe Photoshop but I'd like to get good results first, and then play around.

Calm Seas & Sunny Days

NR

#66 7seas

7seas

Hermit Crab

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:51 PM

Hello

my name is Lida Pet-Soede, I work for WWF the global conservation organisation www.panda.org/coraltriangle but am also co-owner of the Seven Seas liveaboard in Indonesia.

I dont think I have every posted anything but an invitation to join a petition for saving a threathened species of newzealand dolphin.

I hardly visit Wetpixel, but when I do it is to check out your conservation relevant discussions, many of them very good, great to see you are also working on keeping the marine environment healthy.

Lida

#67 Backscatter

Backscatter

Clownfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:55 AM

Hello,

My name is Sterling Zumbrunn, and I have been a Wetpixel member for a couple years under the username sterlingz. I am now working part-time for Backscatter Underwater Video & Photo, and will be helping them with their online outreach efforts, including interacting with the Wetpixel community.

Any posts from this account will be specifically as an industry representative.

We look forward to contributing to this vibrant community.

All the very best,

Sterling

Backscatter Underwater Video & Photo
831-645-1082
www.backscatter.com
Contact Us!

#68 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:55 AM

Hi All

My name is Simon Brown, I'm a photographer, based in the UK. I supply editorial features to magazines (DIVE, Unterwasser, Duiken are but a few) and supply stock images to Seapics and Natural Visions. I write as well as create images.

I cover travel features, wrecks and wildlife, but some of my most successful work has been documenting military divers at work, including bomb disposal and surveying HMS Royal Oak.

Topside I cover motorcycle touring and off-road adventure. Namibia was the last trip and Laos is coming up in January.

There are some examples of my work at www.simonbrownimages.com
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#69 SGR Jeff

SGR Jeff

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:14 PM

Hi All

Just wanted to introduce myself and my company. My name is Jeff and I have been an avid diver for 10 years, I have been teaching as a PADI AI for 8 of them. And have been a passionate photographer for the last 6 years. I was a test diver for ScubaLab of ScubaDiving magazine for years. But now myself and the former directors of ScubaLab have started our own Scuba Gear Reports web based company called www.scubagearreports.com

Along with all dive gear we will be reviewing we will also be reviewing UW photography gear. In our first issue we reviewed the Nauticam NA-NEX5 which we loved. Looking forward to testing all the gear and uw photography gear we can get our hands on.

Thanks
Jeff

#70 TimG_KeyLargo

TimG_KeyLargo

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

Hello, folks. We're trying to properly identify industry members here at Wetpixel. A lot of industry representatives are browsing these forums; thanksfully, most are careful about what they post because they want to avoid tacky self-promotion.

I'd like an explicit label for industry folk who care to identify themselves. We may enable industry-only features in the future, and it will be nice to have a group already formed.

So if you're an industry member, please leave a message here or send a message to one of the admins! Be sure to include your full name, so we don't just know you as a Wetpixel handle. ;)

We're going to define industry members as:

1) you design, manufactur, or sell dive or photo gear

2) you work in a dive shop or are a dive instructor

3) you are a professional photographer (your own definition -- if you are unsure, please let us know what you have done and we'll make a decision for you)

4) you work at a publication in a dive or photo-related area

5) you are a marine biologist with interests in underwater photography

I'm sure I missed something here, so if you don't fit in any of the above categories and still want to be in the group, go ahead and inform us.

Hi Eric,

My name is Tim Grollimund, and I live in Key Largo.

I am a divemaster, freelance photographer (getting started) and write the scuba diving column for the local newspaper. Columns are here: www.keysnet.com/diving

I would like to be considered as an industry member.

A buddy of mine, Jim McDonald, was just with you in Alaska, I believe. Please fell free to ask Jim about me.

Thanks.

Tim
www.timgimages.com
www.timgimages.com/crlogbook

#71 MarcelHagendijk

MarcelHagendijk

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:anything diving, and photo

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

Hi All,

My name is Marcel Hagendijk, and I am manager at Maluku Divers, in Ambon, East Indonesia. In my spare time I am interim cruise director on Damai liveaboard.

I have expertise as instructor, technical/mixed gas diver, wreck and cave exploration, guide, and underwater videographer.

Since last year, after the Wetpixel Nightdive Safari in Ambon, I got back in the underwater photography side of things. Since January this year I upgraded my photo equipment, and have been taking underwater pics on a very regular base.

Ambon is known for its critter diving, and I start to have a nice collection of underwater images. As I am lucky enough to have the opportunity to dive on a daily base with my camera, and deal a lot with (professional) underwater photographers, I had a steep learning curve. Hopefully I can enter the world of professional underwater photographers one day.

Proud to say I made 3rd price in the Ocean Art 2011 novice DSLR category, as its my first competition entry.

Anyway, as I want to improve my skills, I joined wetpixel, and hope to pick up some more tricks of the trade

Hope to dive with you all (again) some day, and talk camera!

Cheers,

Marcel Hagendijk
www.divingmaluku.com
www.facebook.com/MarcelHagendijkunderwaterphotography
www.divingmaluku.com

#72 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

Greetings Marcel,
Congrats on you placing in the Ocean Art comp. That's a very competitive competition.
I've been thinking of diving in Ambon the end of next summer and did a search here on Maluku Divers. There seems to be very positive reports on your dive op and I hope things come together for a trip over.

Rand

Edited by randapex, 16 December 2011 - 03:34 PM.

Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#73 Neil Rice

Neil Rice

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

My name is Neil Rice and I am affiliated with Scuba Network as an SDI Open Water Instructor here in New Jersey.

#74 blaisedouros

blaisedouros

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hi all,
Blaise Douros here; I work for Light and Motion in sales and support, as well as shooting and editing photos and videos for both our UW and Bike product divisions when I can.

In my previous life, I worked in post-production for Sea Studios, working on National Geographic and PBS documentaries. I still have my fingers in the documentary world, mostly through my music scoring work.

#75 Pete L

Pete L

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hi all,
Blaise Douros here; I work for Light and Motion in sales and support, as well as shooting and editing photos and videos for both our UW and Bike product divisions when I can.

In my previous life, I worked in post-production for Sea Studios, working on National Geographic and PBS documentaries. I still have my fingers in the documentary world, mostly through my music scoring work.

G'day Blaise,
Great to see you have joined wetpixel. Looking forward to your input especially in the video forums.
We had the blue on tour festival last night in sydney & in the credits for one of the films i noticed your name & wondered if it was you. Turns out it propably was. It was for the music from memory. Might have been in the wake of giants or something along those lines.
All about releasing the whales in hawaii from entanglement.
Cheers Pete.

Edited by bluefacemanta, 23 March 2012 - 10:39 PM.

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

PHOTO - Canon 7D-Nauticam Housing/60mm macro/10-22mm/twin Z240 strobes.
VIDEO - Panasonic HVX200/Gates Housing/EM43 Monitor/SWP44/L&M Sola 4000s.

#76 blaisedouros

blaisedouros

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

G'day Blaise,
Great to see you have joined wetpixel. Looking forward to your input especially in the video forums.
We had the blue on tour festival last night in sydney & in the credits for one of the films i noticed your name & wondered if it was you. Turns out it propably was. It was for the music from memory. Might have been in the wake of giants or something along those lines.
All about releasing the whales in hawaii from entanglement.
Cheers Pete.

Thanks Pete, I think I'm overdue to be here :D

In The Wake Of Giants is indeed one of my projects; or rather, a project of my dad's and mine. He produces, I score, we work on story together. Actually if you look here, we're trying to produce a sequel showing the Alaskan counterparts to the Hawaii group in the film.

#77 Pete L

Pete L

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:25 AM

Great work Blaise. I recognised the last name & Lou, who i'm guessing is your dad. Then when the credits rolled through i saw your name & wondered if it was you. What a small world hey.
The funny thing is that myself, my wife & all of our friends commented that your movie was the best one of the night.
Hope the sequel comes to life, would love to see it.
Look forward to chatting to you in the forums.
Cheers Pete.

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

PHOTO - Canon 7D-Nauticam Housing/60mm macro/10-22mm/twin Z240 strobes.
VIDEO - Panasonic HVX200/Gates Housing/EM43 Monitor/SWP44/L&M Sola 4000s.

#78 RWP0515

RWP0515

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

Hi all,

Firstly I would just like to say what a great forum this is, it has everything. When I get time I often have a nose on here.

My name is Ross Pooley and I work for Papua Diving in Raja Ampat, Indonesia. I co-manage Kri Eco Resort and like to guide dives as much as possible....sometimes 4 times a day. I have been lucky enough to be working in this very special place for 1.5 years now.

My passion is marine life but I'm also a 'closet' birder too.

If I have the opportunity I will take my camera on a dive. I shoot with a Canon S95 in a Fix Fish Eye housing, 2 Inon S2000's with Inon Fish Eye lens and Inon UCL lens (which I found on a dive site, the lens cap covered in coraline algae :lol: ). I also have recently purchased the Fix Fish Eye LED 750 DX. I have no desire to become a 'pro' photographer and shoot only for my own pleasure and to show friends and family the beautiful underwater world. I'm lucky to have worked with many professional photographers which is great for learning. I would love to improve my skills further and talk diving and photography, so I have joined this incredible forum.

Cheers

Ross

Kri Eco Resort
www.papua-diving.com

Edited by Ross1978, 02 April 2012 - 12:05 AM.

#79 aeweems12

aeweems12

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

Hi,

I'm a relatively new scuba diver (2 years), but have been snorkeling for longer. Have enjoyed my Olympus Stylus cameras but ready to move to better equipment. Looking for advice on what to change to.

Ashley

#80 niargh

niargh

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

Hi,
I'm a Seattle based profesional photographer.
Specialized in environmental portraiture and industrial rope access.
See my work at http://frankhuster.com

I've also been diving since 1999 and a dive instructor since 2006.
Love Puget Sound, its beautiful invertebrate life, awesome GPO and occasional hanging-snot-filled waters ;-)

f