• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Uranium

Uranium

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 07:00 PM

hi! I've been using the Canon Powershot S30 underwater for some time now believe that i would require a strobe for better pictures. Unlike the nikon cameras, this one has no connection for the strobe. So, is it possible for a strobe to be used with this camera?

Wesley ;)

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 07:21 PM

Yes! I believe that you can use the Ikelite DS50 or DS125 or the Sea and Sea YS90 DX.

For more information try using the search button and enter "slave strobe" or YS90DX

hope that helps,
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 Uranium

Uranium

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 08:37 PM

Thanks! However, I would like to know how does this actually work? I've read your article on strobes for the camera but don't really understand it. I'm sorry. So does the camera flash its own flash and the strobe will pick it up and flash? Then, how does the synchronistion occur? (There is no connection). Thanks!

Wesley

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 08:52 PM

Hi,

A slave strobe works 'cause it has a slave sensor. The slave sensor "sees" the light from another flash (your camera's flash) and tells the slave strobe to fire.

There is no connection really.

To make sure that the slave strobe "sees" the flash from the camera, people have devised flash deflectors, or fiber optic cables to "shoot" the light from the cameras flash to the slave sensor.

I hope that helps,
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#5 Uranium

Uranium

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 08:58 PM

I think i've got it. So the slave strobe and the camera's main strobe will fire at the same time? Don't you need to cover the camera's flash to avoid backscatter?

Also, I'm thinking of purchasing a strobe for my nikon coolpix 4500. What would you recommend? Something that gives me the most "bang for the buck". Thanks alot! By the way, I don't think the coolpix has the preflash system. So is the nikon coolpix compatible with the slave strobe? Or can it only be used with the hard-wired strobe?

Wesley

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 06:13 AM

There are very few strobes that are JUST slaves (but there are some). Most strobes allow you to attach a sync cord but also have a slave sensor.

You can use just about any strobe for your Coolpix so just pick something that fits your price range. I would ask Ikelite for more detailed information about the 4500 - I have only used the 990, 995, and 5000.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#7 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 07:03 AM

Just be sure you are using a strobe that is suitable to a digital camera and can ignore the pre flash.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.