Photo
- - - - -

expresscameras.com...almost fraud, LIARS!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spectralsepia

spectralsepia

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:02 PM

I read about similar scams on this forum...but didn't think of it. I recently ordered a camera and lens package from expresscameras.com, and was charged for the battery and charger (it was still cheaper than others at this point so I didn't care). I was guaranteed delivery by wednesday and because I know my UPS guys routine intimately, when it looked like it wasn't going to arrive I called the company to ask what it's status was. They said they didn't have access to that information, and when I asked them why they told me the package was out for delivery. So of course, nothing arrives that day and the next day I call again and they say they're actually out of stock, nothing has been processed or sent and do I want to upgrade to the more expensive camera that is in stock. You might be able to imagine the expletives that followed, and while this isn't technically fraud it is really really annoying and no one else should have to put up with their crap. The end.

#2 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 10:53 PM

It never hurts to say:

ResellerRatings.com is your friend.

Six month rating 0.61, OUCH :)

Compare to B&H at 9.41 or Cameta Camera (EBay megaseller) at 9.32.
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#3 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:22 AM

There are hundreds of scams like this on the net. The quickest way to spot them is by the price. If anyone has a price significantly lower than B&H it is a scam.

Hope you are able to get your money back.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#4 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 24 September 2005 - 09:18 AM

The quickest way to spot them is by the price.  If anyone has a price significantly lower than B&H it is a scam.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That might be a teensy bit of an overstatement :) , but anything priced significantly lower than B&H is certainly suspect. I think most of us agree that B&H is the gold standard of internet/mail order reliability. There are certainly other good and reputable online stores (some of which advertise right here on Wetpixel!) that sometimes have lower prices than B&H, but checking the price at B&H will give you a good idea as to whether an advertised price is reasonable or not. If it's $20 cheaper someplace else, it might be fine; if it's hundreds of dollars cheaper, you should immediately smell a rodent-like odor...

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields