16 replies to this topic

#1 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:36 AM

Hello everyone, we are starting up a new Photo Competition database here on Wetpixel. What we have envisioned is to create a one-stop place to gather information on most major photo competitions available to the public.

But, we don't want it to be solely underwater photography based. WE want to add all the major photo competitions worldwide, for example the British Wildlife Photographer of the year or other major competitions such as the Canon competition or Nikon competion.

We thought the best way to do this would be to have everyone add in contests they know about to this thread, once we have enough contests put together we will create an area on Wetpixel which is easily accessable to everyone.

Here is an example of what we are looking for from those who would take the time to add their knowledge.

Photo Contest: Asian Diver/Ocean Odyssey
Open for Submissions: Now
Last Date for Entries: January 1, 2006
Categories: Macro, Wide Angle, Novice, Interaction
Contestants can enter up to 5 photos in each of 3 categories
Open to who: Contest open to everyone, Pro and amateur alike
Prizes: Not listed
Results Announced: Unknown date, notified by mail
Submissions: Must be accompanied by entry form
All entries in digital format, scanned or otherwise
Jpg or Tiff 300 dpi (210mm x 297mm)
All entries to be accompanied by 4x6 print with name and category

Please use the same form if possible to add any contest details that you know about.
And if you can think of any other info that would be relevent then please let us know.

Thanks

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#2 bella

bella

Wolf Eel

• Critter Expert
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 02:42 AM

Mike,

Great project. Perhaps a category to be added could be regarding photographer rights or warnings. Using the Asian Diver contest as an example, point number 15 should be a strong warning for photographers to consider very carefully whether they really should enter the contest.

-quote-

15) By submitting an entry or entries, each participant unconditionally and irrevocably agrees as follows :-
a. MPB shall have the right (but not the obligation) to reproduce, distribute, edit, alter and / or in any other way use and exploit the photograph(s) submitted by the participant (whether in whole or in part) for publication in any publications or websites of MPB, or for exhibition at exhibition spaces to promote the Contest, or for any other purposes whatsoever or any other forms of exploitations, without consultation with the participant or payment of any fees or royalties to the participant;

b. The participant shall take part in any promotional or publicity exercise as may be conducted by MPB in connection with the Contest, and the participant hereby irrevocably and unconditionally grants MPB all consents and waivers necessary for MPB to use the participant's images in any manner as MPB shall in its sole discretion see fit, including without limitation publishing the names and photographs of the participants on MPB's website(s);

c. The participant expressly waives all rights which the participant may acquire or have under the provisions of the Singapore Copyright Act (and any subsequent enactment or amendments thereto) and any other moral rights which the participant may have or be entitled under any legislation now existing or in the future enacted in any part of the world.

-end quote-
-julie edwards

#3 frogmansub

frogmansub

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Long shallow dives

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:05 AM

Mike,

Great idea !

How about adding details of competition of the "shoot-out" type where photographers turn-up for a day/weekend/week ?

By the way, has that trophy made it to Yap yet ?

JP
JP Trenque

Disciplus mustardem

D200 in Sea & Sea housing - 2 YS90 Duo - 2 sets of magic filters !
http://www.jptrenque.com

#4 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:19 AM

Hi JP, yes the trophy has arrived! Looks good on my front counter!

And yes, shootout competitions are a definite must.

Julie/Bella- that is an interesting observation. It could certainly be discussed in forums, but i think that this is more of a thing that people would make a personal decision about. What we are looking for is more of a one-stop area/list to find out what competitions are out there.

Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#5 kathymm

kathymm

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 06:28 AM

Hi Mike,

Here are a couple to start off with.

Best,
Kathy Mendes

Photo Contest: SEA 2005
Open for submissions: Now
Last date for entries: October 7, 2005 postmark
Categories: Macro, Wide Angle, Underwater California (Also accepting entries for the Bob Commer Award of Excelence.)
Open to: Amateurs. Bob Commer Award open to professionals and amateurs.
Prizes: TBD
Results announced: By mail (email) to winners, and on the NCUPS website.
Submissions: Must be accompanied by an entry form, fees, and include 35 mm, digital, video and print.

Photo Contest: California Beach Dive Photo Competition - This is a two-day photography shootout.
Open for submissions: April-May 2006
Last date for entries: The day of the competition.
Categories: Macro, Wide Angle, Diver, Humorous, Above Water (subject to change).
Open to: All.
Prizes: TBD
Results announced: At the awards ceremony the day after the dive. Winning images are posted on the NCUPS website.
Submissions: 35mm film and digital, must be present to participate. :)

http://www.divermaiden.com
SCUBA Diver, Photographer, Grandma

#6 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 29 September 2005 - 08:04 AM

Julie/Bella-  that is an interesting observation.  It could certainly be discussed in forums, but i think that this is more of a thing that people would make a personal decision about. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seems to me that type of info (photographer's rights, etc.) is a crucial, even if in simplified form (e.g., instead of quoting the entire text, listers could provide a very simple summary: "Forfeit all rights/no compensation," "Limited rights/no compensation," etc.), and then folks who want to investigate further can do so. Surely most people here (professional photographers or not) want to know what rights and/or future compensation they retain/forfeit by entering a given competition. If they could get a quick idea from the listing, it would save having to wade through the fine print...except for the ones they're really interested in. Just my $0.02.

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#7 kathymm

kathymm

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:22 PM

I would certainly want to know if I was giving up any rights to how my image was being used. NCUPS competitions reserve the right to use the images only for club promotional use, no fee is paid and credit is given to the photographer.

Kathy Mendes

http://www.divermaiden.com
SCUBA Diver, Photographer, Grandma

#8 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 01:38 PM

Ok, we can certainly add a Rights section on there. Thanks for adding those Kathy

Now, lets see some more entries everyone.....:)

#9 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:52 PM

Mike

Alex put togther a nice collection when he started YUP .. mopst of it is still up to date .. but some is obviously out as it is hard work to maintain that sort of info ..

http://www.yup.digid...m/?page=topinfo

take a look ..

divephotoguide also has a similar thing .. http://www.divephoto...fcdf55233e55cad

all of these are probably UW contests

in what you are doing ... would you be classifying them as UW .. or Other .. so you can see if the contest is land or uw based for example ?

nice idea btw .. these things always come in handy.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#10 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 11:20 PM

Thanks Giles, i'll check those out. I think that yes we will probably make some distinction among the lines of UW and General photo contests, no reason why a UW photo can't be entered in any photo contest i shouldn't think.

Here's another one:

Photo Contest: Scubadiving Magazine Photo Contest
Last Date for Entries: Postmarked no later than Dec 31, 2005
Categories: 5- Wide Angle, Macro, Marine Life, Topside/Diving Lifestyle, Divers (Topside or Underwater)
Number of Entries: Unlimited
Costs: US $10 for first entry, $5 per entry after that
Eligibility: Open to all photographers world wide, Pro and Amateur alike
Prizes: Over US $13000 cash and prizes, Grand Prize is US $1000 cash plus a trip for 2 aboard the Aqua Cat in Bahamas
Submissions: Slide and CD digital
See website for slide details
CDs, Jpg or Tiff-300dpi, 8.5x11
No Prints
Winners Notified: March 15, 2006

#11 bella

bella

Wolf Eel

• Critter Expert
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:03 AM

Here's one I have in my calendar, I have several others I'll post afterwards:

Photo Contest: Beneath the Sea
Last Date for Entries: postmarked before December 31, 2005
Categories: General, Marine Life, Macro/Close-up, Underwater Behaviour, Wrecks, Conservation, Creative and also Video and Video Snapshot,
Number of Entries: A max of 6 images and no more than three per category.
Costs: US$10 per image and $15 per video or video snapshot PLUS a $1.00 handling fee.
Eligibility: Open to all amateur photographers or videographers.
Prizes: TBA
Submissions: See website for slide and video details
digital: jpeg or TIFF on CD- TIFF preferred. Images must be RGB, NO CMYK. 72dpi and 1500 pixels in the long dimension. See website for for further specifications.
Winners Notified: On or before March 1, 2006

*** All rights remain with the photog. No photos will be used outside of contest promotion without notification.
-julie edwards

#12 bella

bella

Wolf Eel

• Critter Expert
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 02:33 AM

Photo Contest: EPIC Environmentally aware Photographic Image Competition
Open for Submissions: Unclear from the current website info.
Last Date for Entries: February 15, 2006
Categories: Sharks, Video, WA slide, Macro slide, fresh or brackish water slide, creative slide digital or video, conservation slide digital or video, coral reef park slide, and Digital.
NOTE: Someone else may have some idea of whether this contest will change it's digital submissions policy for 2006.
Number of Entries: Unlimited, though no entries may be entered in two categories with the exception manipulated images for the creative and digital categories.
Costs: US$10. per image.
Eligibility: all amateur photogs and videogs.
Submissions: 2x2 slides, all formats video, digital - 72dpi jpeg image between 400 and 1200 pixels on the long dimension. No prints.
Winners Notified: Unknown ATM.

**ALL rights remain with the photog. Winning photos will only be used in connection with contest promotion for a period of up to 2 years.

Personal note, I hope this contests organization and communications with entrants improves for the 2006 contest.
-julie edwards

#13 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 06:24 AM

Mike, this is a great topic and will generate a very useful resource. The deadline has passed for the LAUPS competition, but since this will be a database I will post it anyways:

Photo Contest: LAUPS Annual International Competition
Open for Submissions: July to September
Last Date for Entries: received by September 23, 2005
Categories: Macro, Wide Angle, West Coast Cold Water, Marine Related Scenic, Creative Freestyle, Video Raw Footage, Video Open.
Number of Entries: A max of 6 images and no more than three per category.
Costs: US$10 per image or video.
Eligibility: Open to all amateur photographers or videographers.
Submissions: See website for slide and video details
Digital: JPEG format on CD or by e-mail. Adobe 1998 color space suggested. between 1024 and 3072 pixels in the long dimension. See website for for further specifications.
Winners Notified: On or before November 19, 2005.

** Permission to reproduce any entry for the promotional purposes of the Underwater Photographic Society will be assumed. No reproduction fee will be paid.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#14 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 12:09 AM

Photo Contest: Nature's Best Magazine
Open for Submissions: Jan 9th, 2006- April 29th, 2006

Categories: ANIMAL ANTICS: Wildlife in humorous or surprising situations.

ART IN NATURE: Naturally occurring artistic compositions in nature.

BACKYARD HABITAT: Native wild animals or plants photographed in backyard settings.

CAMERA CLUB: A selection of up to 20 photographs may be submitted as a group entry by a camera club with 10 or more members. Note, however, that each individual member can contribute no more than three (3) images to the group submission. Each individual image in a camera club submission must fit within the contest categories, without exception. The entry will be judged as a portfolio and selected on the overall excellence of the entire group of submitted images. Participating club members are permitted to submit a personal entry (up to 20 images) separate from the Camera Club entry, and may include the same images in both submissions.

CREATIVE DIGITAL: Any nature-related image or combination of images that is created and/or manipulated using digital/electronic technology (Adobe Photoshop, etc). Let your imagination go wild! Please provide details on all techniques used.

ENDANGERED SPECIES: Plants or animals that are listed as endangered species by the IUCN. Please visit www.redlist.org to confirm the endangered status of a species before submitting to this category.

ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES: Images that document current environmental issues.

LANDSCAPE: Dramatic scenes and unusual perspectives of land providing expansive views.

OCEANS: The fascinating world of the sea. Coral reefs, marine life, etc. Photos above the surface are welcome.

PEOPLE IN NATURE: People enjoying the outdoors; backpackers, kayakers, divers, hikers, etc. in scenic locales.

PLANT LIFE: Flowers, trees, and other flora in their natural habitat.

WILDLIFE: Wild animals (mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, insects, etc.) photographed in their natural habitat (no captive animals).

YOUTH: An entry of up to 20 photographs submitted by a photographer 18 years old or younger. Each individual image in a youth submission must fit within the contest categories, without exception.

ZOOS & AQUARIUMS: Images may include animal portraits, behavior, zoo-keepers working with animals, visitors (may require model release), special events, etc. All photographs must have been taken at American Zoo & Aquarium Association (AZA) member zoos and aquariums. (See the complete AZA member list at www.aza.org).

Number of Entries: 20 max
Cost: US $20
Eligibility: Open to all, amateur and professional
Prizes: OVer $10000 cash prizes, over $2500 for Grand Prize
Submissions: Entries must be color transparencies (slides) 35mm or larger, high-resolution scans of color transparencies, or digitally captured images taken with a 5+ megapixel digital camera set at the camera's highest resolution (RAW) capture setting. Each submission is limited to a total of no more than 20 images. Prints will not be accepted. Entries will be judged on technical quality, composition, originality, and artistic merit.

Submit all entries in a single package, with all transparencies in protective plastic sheets (PrintFile, etc.) and with all digital images burned onto a single CD. If you are submitting digital files, please include on your CD (for each digital image you are submitting) a copy of your RAW or other original file as it came out of the camera or film scanner, your processed digital file (in TIFF format sized to 20 inches on the longest side at 400dpi resolution), and a JPEG version of your image (sized to 1,000 pixels on the longest side at 72dpi resolution).

For preliminary judging, high quality duplicate transparencies will also be accepted. However, if an image is selected for final round judging, the original transparency will be required prior to finalizing contest results. Each transparency mount or file name must bear the photographer’s name, phone number, and state or country of residence.

Entrants must not infringe on the rights of any other photographer or person or submit images that involve the willful harassment of wildlife or damage to the environment by the photographer. With the exception of entries in the Creative Digital category (in which anything goes!), all photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared in the viewfinder. Nothing should be added to an image, and, aside from minor dust spots, nothing should be taken away. Cropping and minor adjustments to color and contrast are acceptable.
Please include with each submission the following typewritten information: Your complete contact information, including your email address, street address, and phone number, as well as a brief description of each image and where it was taken (including all of the camera equipment you used to capture the image, such as camera body, lens, film, flash, filters, tripod, etc. and any recorded shutter speed and aperture settings).

SEND ENTRIES TO:

Via US Postal Service:
Nature's Best Photography Awards
P.O. Box 10070
McLean, Virginia 22102

Via Courier Service (FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.):
Nature's Best Photography Awards
11411-C Sunset Hills Road
Reston, Virginia 20190
Phone: 703-467-9783
Questions? Call us at 703- 467-9783 or e-mail: awards@naturesbestmagazine.com

Winners Notified: Fall Collectors Edition of Nature's Best Magazine

#15 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:07 PM

Photo Contest: BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year

Eligibility: Open to all, amateurs and professionals
Submissions: Revealed in every February issue of the magazine and subsequently on the website
Number of entries: TBA
Costs: TBA
Submissions: TBA

This one will be updated in Feb...

#16 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:35 AM

Photo Contest: SanDisk Red Sea Underwater Photography Competition.
Last Date for Entries: April 3, 2006
Categories: Images of the World, Eilat Shoot-out
Number of Entries: maximum 3 entries in each category
Costs: 25 Euro for first entry, Each additional: 10 Euro, Eilat Shoot-out Competition 25 Euro
Eligibility: Open to all photographers world wide, Pro and Amateur alike
Prizes: Eilat Shoot-out: Best Five Shots - $10,000, Best Single Image - 1000 Bottles of Beer, Images of the World: First prize $3000
Winners Notified: March 15, 2006
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#17 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:14 PM

1000 Bottles of Beer eh?? - might have to get on a plane to Israel! :P
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.