Steve Jones

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 08:27 AM

This one is doing the rounds in some of the tabloids over here at the moment:

http://www.seashephe...a_050818_1.html

....read down the page.

As a dog owner and lover of the marine environment, I find this particularly sickening - inflicting extreme suffering on one animal in order to inflict extreme suffering (and eventual extermination) on another

There are times when I am ashamed to walk on 2 legs

Steve
Steve Jones
www.millionfish.com - millionfish@hotmail.com
Nikon - Seacam

#2 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:16 AM

Hi Steve

Appalling!

What hasn't headlined in the UK is that the Scottish Government are subject to a complaint by various groups (but headed by divers) made to (and currently accepted by) the EU (who are looking into it) about a failure to protect marine Special Areas of Conservation against the damage caused within the areas by scallop fishing. In true beuarocratic style, the first thing to be done is to establish research into the problem (despite many reports already in existence, all of which acknowledge the destructive nature of scallop dredging)!

Thank heavens we don't tolerate the cruelty you highlight, but we do tolerate an awful lot which a 'civilised' society should not!
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#3 Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:08 AM

I think you've raised a good and little publicised point there Paul.

The true and total destructiveness of Scallop dredging has been known for years, yet of course, much beard stroking must be done before any form of inaction is decided upon!

When are these bureaucrats actually going to realise that they have responsibilities?
Steve Jones
www.millionfish.com - millionfish@hotmail.com
Nikon - Seacam

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:40 AM

Steve,

To many of them their only responsibility is to keep their job.

FWIW, I've been involved in many of these debates and the one resounding chorus is always "We need more research." The funny thing is that this cry is usually coming from marine science academics in an overcrowded field. What they are really saying is "We need more research FUNDING." LOL

In any case, of COURSE we need more research, but then we need some action too. From my standpoint as an engineer, I KNOW that I will never have 100% of the information I need, but when I get enough to make an informed decision - that's what I do.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:54 AM

This post should have come with a warning concerning the Ile de Reunion pictures. They will stay with me for a long time to come.

Re scallop dredging - The call for more research frequently comes from both sides of a debate. for those on the fishing side it's either a delaying action or the search for data that proves the point desired. For the other it's to have data compelling enough to convince even a bureaucrat and because, as James said, we will never have 100% of the information needed. Fishing lobbies are very well funded & persuasive to government officials. Even on a small island with the appalling practice of using live mammals for bait the government will be reluctant to curtail any fishing activity

It is interesting to note however the differing responses to the situations in the Galapagos & Iles de Reunion. It's probably hard for most of us to be objective about the latter.

#6 Gaynor

Gaynor

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:I am a volunteer engaged in marine conservation diving, gathering species data for various Spanish projects and scientists at Barcelona University. I enjoy practicing underwater photography.

Posted 01 October 2005 - 05:18 AM

Hi Steve

What a shocking and sickening practice! I just cannot get my head around such cruelty.

Gaynor

gaynor@kennaecodiving.net
www.kennaecodiving.net

Volunteer divers needed to help with marine conservation research in the Mediterranean.

#7 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 05:43 AM

Re scallop dredging. The thing that baffles me most is that as a diver I've actually seen the effects with my own 2 eyes! It simply doesn't need research, simply an acceptance that we are telling it as it is!

The governmental buy-out cost of existing scallop dredgers would be miniscule on a national scale - and paradoxically would probably be welcomed by an industry which is suffering from low prices, escalating costs and excess fishing. The vessels in use are apparently not particularly profitable but need to keep running to pay back capital investment, which with increased running costs is probably taking longer and longer. So we have a situation in which a poor practice is continuing for unsound economic reasons - and trashing the environment in the process. How illogical is that?

I wonder if the base cause of the problems in both the Galapagos and Reunion are economically driven? If so what economic measures can be taken (and publicsed) to reduce their viability?
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#8 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:30 AM

What needs to happen is to take one of those fisherban and cram steel through their noses and fish using them. The law should be, "if you get caught, you will suffer the same fate". Too many liberals in theis world.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com