• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 06:30 AM

I will be using a Nikon 60mm Micro with my S2 Pro. I have practiced with it quiet a bit on land and it seems that the focus tends to wander a bit. Would you consider shooting manual focus or using the limit switch. I'm afraid the noise of the focus mechanism would frighten some small critters.

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 06:13 AM

How do you have your S2 set up to focus? Single servo, or continuous? Dynamic autofocus or AF Area mode?

Mine almost always locks focus right away and doesn't hunt. I don't shoot the 60 in manual, but I do use the half-press to lock focus and then move out a bit to get the eyes in focus for good super macro shots.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 04:40 PM

James, I have it set for single. I have learned to use the lock with the shutter as well. I think I will practice a lot more before I leave in a couple weeks. I would prefer to use it in auto if possible.

Did your Ikelite housing come with the manual focus ring gear? Mine came with an aperture ring gear which would seem to be virtually useless with the S2 Pro, since it stays locked at the minimum setting.

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 05:19 PM

I haven't tried manual focus w/ Ike's setup. I think you need a different sleeve/gear to do it.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 03:24 AM

FYI. I just discovered that you can not use the AF lens in MF with this housing, according to the supplemental instructions that just arrived from Ikelite.

#6 MrFish

MrFish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 01:56 PM

I have just tried putting the 60mm Nikkor Micro lens into the S2 housing to see if i could use it in manual mode.

I succeeded by attached the spring plastic thing (technical name for it you know!) that is supposed to fit the zoom control on a lens around the manual focus ring upside down so that the two platic guide rails effectively face towards the camera body.

Not perfect but it did work
Dave Hopson
Fuji S2 pro, Ikelite housing, 60mm Nikon macro lens, DS50, Nikon SB-102

#7 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 06:59 PM

That's an excellent idea. I will take it with me and if I'm not satisfied with the AF, I will have that as a backup. Unfortunately you have to commit to AF or MF before the dive since the switch is not accessible.

I've been working with the AF on land for the last week and seem to be making progress. However, it still seems to "hunt" on occasion.