5 replies to this topic

#1 eagleray

eagleray

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 07:37 AM

Hi All,
I am interested to learn what configuration do people use for uw photography during night dives.

I tried using a normal halogen toshiba torch to light the subject for focus. Have to point the torch away before i take the shot else the "hot-spot" of the torch is very obvious.

The UK light canon with the wide diffuser is one of the possible solutions as it illuminates with cooler white light and does not have the hot spot problem.

Was looking for a more "light weight solution" as i think the light canon is quite heavy even underwater.

#2 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2288 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 10:01 AM

:ph34r: I was thinking of a light cannon for the same purpose, but also haven't gotten one because of the size and weight. I've been told that they are going to come out with a smaller version though it hasn't been announced yet.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#3 eagleray

eagleray

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 06:31 PM

what about those LED lights? anyone tried them?
They seems to have much less hot spot.
Not as bright as a light canon, but i only need a little light for focusing
and viewing the subject in the LCD.
As for the shot itself, it will be taken care of by the strobe.

#4 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 07:34 PM

I use a hartenberger with a matte lens. no hotspot. ;)
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#5 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 06:37 AM

May be Just me, but I would hold up on purchasing the current version of the UK light cannon. I have owned two, both lasted less than a month. I loved the color it produced but itís not worth the lack of reliability. The HID light bulb in that configuration is too temperamental for my taste. (The bulb costs $90 and impossible to get overseas) I do expect UK will do better on the next go around.

(Yes I waited 5 minutes before turning the bulb on or off)

I have tried many other (much more expensive) HID light systems that have worked flawlessly. If you wan a good HID systems talk to a caver, and be ready to spend some real cake. I guess you get what you pay forÖ..Why do I always learn that the hard way????

#6 woody

woody

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 12:22 PM

I use the Ikelite PC-a strapped onto the strobe. This little torch has a really bright, narrow beam, but so far I have not experienced hot spots in my shots.