i am on the way to buy more or less the gear that you all ready have...
(Canon 5D - Canon EF 100mm f-2.8 Macro USM - S&S DX-5D housing with TTL converter - S&S YS-110)
can please tell me if you are pleased with your gear, if you are... why and if you are not, why again... :-)
thanks for your help.
On the whole the gear I have works well. The DX-5D is very sturdy and well engineered. The TTL system works well.
Good ergonomic points:
- '*' button on blck lever under your right thumb - use it all the time for 1-shot AF
- External TTL module places controls in handy position
- Port lock works well
- Stock pickup viewfinder is narrow, you can't see all four corners at once *1
- Port adapter rings don't lock to port *2
- Housing is a little heavy in the water - now use ULCS Buoyancy arms
*1 I have engineered the Inon 45 degree finder to fit the DX-5D housing. It works much better. There are other manufacturers who sell better viewfinders for their housings, so it is worth looking around at what is available and what suits your needs/budget the best. (I'd estimate 1000 euros to upgrade another housing the way I did it)
*2 I have adapted my SX Extension Ring to lock to the flat port for use with the 100mm Canon. I prefer a simple screw lock like this to the gaffer tape I was using. I feel another DIY post coming on here.
As you can see the reservations I have had, I fixed. So the question for you is are any of these big problems for you, particularly the viewfinder coverage.