I'm from Australia and will be in San Franciso for work in early October, and have two weeks free to travel.
The Channel islands are on the list, and possibly Monterey Bay but where else should i dive??
I'm interested in unique wide-angled opportunities, either big landscapes or big critters.
October doesn't seem to be the peak period for any big critter sightings but here's what i've shortisted so far:
* Great White Sharks at Guadaulpe - Big females arrive around October apparently, however we do have cage diving in Australia and its pretty similarly priced (e.g bloody expensive).
* Cancun/Playa del Carman - I'd love to dive some Cenotes and the ocean diving looks good too. What can i expect this time of year? Are there any good Manta or Shark photo sites around Cozumel, Isla Mujeres, etc? Will Mantas/Hammerheads be at Los Picos? Wrong season for Sailfish??? Bull Sharks?
* Florida - Would Crystal River be the best for the Manatees in October? Is this a good time for reliable sightings?
* Northern Channel Islands - should i do a liveaboard or day trips? Any recommendations?
* Hawaii - Black Water dive and Manta night dive.
* Any other Carribean sites?
Any advice appreciated. I plan on travelling inland in my first free week to see topside wildlife such as Yosimite, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, (Las vegas) etc, then back to LA to dive the Channel Islands. The second week i plan to dedicate to diving. Would i be better to just focus on California? I'm very happy in temperate water and looking forward to the giant Kelp forests, but is there enough to keep me occupied around the Channel Islands and Monterey Bay?
Thanks in advance!