The features added include most all of the latest ones now found on the new PEN E-PL7. It's not often that you can apply these types of upgrades to a camera that's nearly a year old.
Besides some improvements such as speeding up it's EVF display, more and smaller AF points, and improved focus peaking, there are a lot of new in-camera creative possibilities available such as using Keystone Correction to straighten the lines of a wreck, or maybe stalks of kelp, while shooting with a fisheye lens - right on the camera back. Same with it's Live Composite Tool; allowing for multiple exposures to be made creatively without post-processing. Other cool effects like Partial Color are now available, allowing you to shoot a brightly colored subject against a black and white background.
Do you like HDR? This popular technique of shooting and overlaying multiple varying exposures can be set-up and shot right on the camera. Using a high-frame rate, these HDR composites can be previewed on the camera display and then saved into RAW for further manipulation later. New is ev compensation on the HDR frames.
Updates have also been made to the wireless apps and tethering software, along with many other features you'll enjoy using above water. You can also use them to apply filters and create composite "stories" and upload them with your phone; without even opening your housing!
If you have one of these great Olympus micro-four thirds cameras, getting this free E-M1 firmware update is a no-brainer. It is easily downloaded onto a computer, then uploaded to the camera with the mini-usb cable included with the camera.
So enjoy this cool new present from Olympus and think creatively underwater, you might be surprised!
More information on the OM-D EM1 can be found here. You can download the updater here.
Here's a complete list of new features and changes:
8 New Functions:
16 Operability Improvements:
- Keystone Compensation (Digital Shift)
- Tethered Shooting System (OLYMPUS capture)
- Live Composite
- Zoom In/Out and Layout have been added to Photo Story. Save (complete partway through), Temporary Save, and Resume functions have been added to Photo Story mode
- New Art Filters: Vintage and Partial color
- Old Film Effect in video recording
- The Aperture Lock function has been added to Aperture Preview
- The Panning Shot shooting mode has been added to SCN mode
- Image display time lag in the Electronic Viewfiner has been improved to 16 msec (frame rate setting is high speed)
- Multiple simultaneous settings now available in Live Guide
- Exposure compensation (±3 EV) is now available in HDR 1/HDR2 shooting
- A function has been added to cancel Color Creator and return to the original Picture Mode by pressing the MENU button when using Color Creator function.
- Movie Tele-converter can now be used simultaneously when Art Filter is set to Picture Mode.
- AF function for each frame was added to Custom Self Timer. In Drive Mode's Custom Self Timer settings, you can now press the INFO button to change settings.
- MF Assist is now supported in magnified frame position.
- 3x has been added to high resolution magnified Live View.
- The Peaking display frame rate has been improved.
- Electronic zoom speed setting function was added. An icon appears on the LCD monitor when using an Olympus electronic zoom lens.
- When the arrow pad is set to Direct function, the Underwater/Underwater macro functions can be used with the left and down button on the arrow pad.
- Double tap is now supported in touch operations on the Super Control Panel.
- The level gauge and histogram can now be displayed during magnified frame display. The Touch Off icon was added to magnified frame display.
- A function was added so that shooting information recorded in HDR1/HDR2 can be viewed in the playback screen.
- Information on composited number of shots for images recorded with Live Composite was added (Can be checked in Olympus Viewer3).
- When the BKT button is held down, the BKT menu now appears.
- Longimanus1975 likes this