Jump to content


errbrr

Member Since 14 Sep 2009
Offline Last Active Apr 08 2015 04:45 PM
-----

Topics I've Started

Fixing cooked Z240s

11 February 2015 - 03:17 AM

People may be aware that I've had a whinge in the past about my Inon z240s becoming unreliable over time, and dying on occasion for no apparent reason (at the time). The ready light would come on, the strobe would "fire" and little to no light would come out. The eventual diagnosed cause was overheating and I seemed to kill one on every tropical trip I took. Too many photos, too quickly, on full power in 30 degree water burns out the flash tubes.

I had the full internals of one replaced by the service centre in Australia which cost half as much as a new strobe. Since then I've tried to be more careful (moving to macro helped) but the tubes have still progressively been going brown and eventually failing. Recently I gave the one completely dead strobe I had to an engineering friend who took it apart, inspected the insides and ordered some generic flash tubes from the Internet. He put it all back together and after a pressure test I took it underwater. We weren't confident that the flash tubes would match in colour or power....but they did! The below shot has the fixed strobe mounted on one side mount tank and an untouched one on the other side.

So, if you find yourself with 6 inons but only 3 actually working at full power...that thing about having to replace the whole guts of the thing just to replace the tubes is not true. On the other hand, get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you because the charge stored in the capacitor inside is enough to kill you, even after several months. And if you can't find anyone, I'd be most happy to buy your broken non-flooded strobes from you :-)

Attached File  image.jpg   193.04KB   21 downloads

Deep spring kit installed

09 December 2014 - 01:22 PM

With 30 knot winds around here this weekend, I had a productive few hours installing the deep spring kit on my Aquatica housing instead. I'm off to do my MOD3 course on my rEvo at Christmas, so the housing will definitely be going past 60m. Given my caving and cave diving activities I expected a bit of dirt in the buttons as I removed them. What I found was a lot of dirt! I was surprised and impressed to see the amount of grit built up in the spring and how well it was all staying on the outside of the two year old o-rings. I haven't had any button leaks to date.

 

Hopefully the replacement springs and o-rings are going to stay just as dry as the old ones. And hopefully they're going to work well down in the depths....any advice or experiences appreciated.

 

Attached File  20141207-photo 1.jpg   128.67KB   13 downloads

 

Attached File  20141207-photo 2.jpg   136.87KB   15 downloads


Cave diving, rebreathers & restrictions

03 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

I was out in the Nullarbor caves over Easter, shooting for a client. Once we were done with work my buddy and I headed off to a different cave to get a few dives in. The video from one dive is below. It was half shot with my Canon 5DII, half with my buddy's GoPro. He's the diver in black, I'm the diver in yellow. If I'm in the shot without the camera, my buddy is getting to grips with his first go at a dSLR. He had a good crack at keeping it steady!

 

Olwolgin Cave is characterised by stunning rock formations and haloclines in the water, so I needed to shoot through water that hadn't been swum through yet. Most of the shots are pushing the camera forward slightly to prevent the fuzzy water from enveloping the dome port. 

 

 

Here are a couple of shots taken of the same cave system, both on the breathers and on the subsequent dive in sidemounts. You can see the stirred-up halocline water under my knees in the first shot.

Attached File  IMG_9142.jpg   138.49KB   24 downloads

Attached File  IMG_9416.jpg   137.44KB   24 downloads

Attached File  IMG_9471.jpg   115.8KB   24 downloads

Attached File  IMG_9473.jpg   120.65KB   23 downloads