Please allow me to introduce myself as i have just registered here for the first time. My name is Tim and i am a semi-pro underwater photographer and videogropher.
Having just read this post i thought i would ask if i can ask for advice on where to find a particular housing or if anyone would would possibly have one for sale etc! Would this deemed as breaking any conventions for your site?
Hello, community -
Wetpixel has been a vibrant venue for the discussion of underwater imagery for nearly ten years. We have always been somewhat unique because we are a place where industry members mingle openly with non-industry members.
Recently, a few industry members have crossed the line of commercialism, so we are putting in some strict rules for industry members to follow. Ideally, every member would be 100% objective, but this is simply not the case. When one industry member is allowed to post something self-promoting, it brings down Wetpixel's integrity and causes other industry members to complain. Unfortunately, the only solution is to implement a double standard. This does not affect non-industry members.
Starting now, overtly commercial posts from industry members will be deleted without warning.
Industry members, here are some guidelines to help you keep your posts within policy:
- In your area of commercial endeavor, only factual posts and support posts are allowed. So if you are a housing manufacturer or retailer, you can post opinions about diving destinations, but not opinions about any underwater housing on the market (including your own).
- No product announcements. All product announcements must be made via press release on the front page by contacting Wetpixel. Note that non-industry members *can* post links to announcements. Sorry, but this is how it is going to have to be.
- No inventory announcements (e.g. "Strobe XX is in stock!").
- No reviews of your own product.
- No unsolicited sales contact with forum members via the Wetpixel personal message system. Replies or support enquiries can still be communicated via PM, although in the later case, you are encouraged to do so via the forum where others can share in your knowledge and experience. (added 03/21/12)
All members can help us to keep Wetpixel on track by reporting commercial posts. Thank you for your time!
As always, if you have any questions, concerns or comments, please voice them here.