I have that problem a lot with my Sea & Sea port extensions. I used to use a giant channel lock wrench cushioned with rags, but have since got a rubber strap wrench at the local hardware store that works quite well. I take it on all my trips with me. Plastic handle, long rubber strap folds over. Trigger tightens the strap, then you just bend it left until it breaks loose.
I've used mine once, with the laser aiming light. Had trouble with adjusting the laser accurately. Only one or two shots were actually lit on the subject. Also, if you want to have fun but not get the shot, Gobies treat a laser dot the same way cats do. The goby I was trying to shoot kept chasing the dot. Thankfully, Nudibranchs didn't. I didn't have any problem with the unit falling off my YSD-1's. I haven't tried it with the strobe aiming light. I'll have to see if that works better.
Or check these out. http://www.lenscoat....arge-p-388.htmlI use an XXL on my 5" dome and it works great. Covers the dome and shade ring nicely and folds over the back of the shade ring a bit. I don't know if there biggest one will stretch over your 8" dome, but if it does, it's less than half the price of similar ones elsewhere. I think I paid $64.95 more my Backscatter cover on my Sea & Sea fisheye dome. They have theirs made locally and they are quite nice.
My wife bought me a Sola 600 Photo for Xmas in December 2010. It worked great for 3 years, but recently had some issues. When the charge lights wouldn't come on, I went online and read the very helpful L & M instructions for getting the light out of travel mode. When that didn't work, I called and a very nice CSR walked me through opening the light and unplugging and replugging the battery to reset the light. That worked and everything was cool for another few months. Eventually the charge signal started flashing red sequentially at high speed and the light wouldn't go on. I called up, exhausted all the remedies and then was told that since it was well out of warranty, I could send it in and they'd fix it for about $85.
I got the light back, charged it and tested it. It worked great. Last week I took it diving and oops, it flooded. I called up L & M and Jon said, "no problem, send it in and we'll take care of it of course." I returned the light to L & M with a request to please hurry, as I'm competing in the Monterey Shoot-Out this weekend and then Monday we're leaving for 10 days of diving in Alaska. One day later, I got a call from Jon, who said "We don't make the repair part for your old 600 anymore, so we're giving you a new one. I stopped in there and he handed me a nice brand new Sola 800. No Charge.
In my 61 years on this planet, I have never had better customer service. Ever.
That's the concept of the Easy Dive Leo. You can change cameras with only a different tray and control software, moving the controls to the handles. Light and Motion uses a similar concept for Video, but for ease of use, not interchangeability. They used to make camera housings that moved the controls to the handles, but have stopped building still camera housings. To me, the big issue is availability of the PC board to make it work. When the product becomes obsolete, the mfg. stops supplying PC boards for it and it becomes useless. I have a very nice $650 Sea & Sea strobe that is no longer repairable for that reason (less than five years old). I am currently taking pictures with a Nikon F100 film camera in a Sea & Sea housing that I bought on E-bay for a couple of hundred bucks. Because it is almost entirely mechanical, it still works great and is repairable.
Dove from 2005 to 2013 with no floods except strobe. (Sea & Sea caps don't like the sudden pressure of jumping in the water, even when you can't use the strobe because it's a Whale shark snorkel). 2013, two floods. First flood was a bad o-ring on the button that unlocks the lh function knob. No damage to camera or lens, but the electrics in the housing were toast. $750 rebuild and about 20 dives later, the rebuilt housing flooded destroying the camera. Sync cord port nut had come loose and the port had 3mm of vertical play. Working with good vendors pays off. The shop that repaired it the first time redid the fix, this time with loctite on the nut, and bought me a good used replacement camera. Thank you Backscatter.