Video: Tofua’a: Seeing Eye to Eye with Tonga’s Humpback Whales.
New paper shows whale ears “float” in their heads
In a new paper published March 11, scientists illustrate how marine mammals adapted their hearing to the underwater environment by evolving their inner and middle ears. These parts of their ears actually “float” inside of their heads, separate from their skulls that vibrate from underwater sound waves. This allows the marine mammals to hear more clearly and isolate the direction sound is coming from.
Introducing USB Type C
Apple has announced that their new Macbook computers will be equipped with USB-C connections, ahead of what is expected to be universal adoption by the computer industry. Photo District News reports that the idea behind the new connection is that it will ultimately replace the current myriad of options into a single design.
Coral, Fire and Ice in Calgary
Dr. Eugenie Clark by Howard Rosenstein
Video: Wakatobi Part 3 by Earth Touch
Earth Touch has continued their video exploration of Wakatobi in this week’s Wild Oceans episode. The video features more reef inhabitants, filmed by Stewart Whitfield. Amongst the species are Clark’s anemonefish (Amphiprion clarkii), the longnose butterflyfish (Forcipiger flavissimus) and the elusive freckled hawkfish (Paracirrhites forsteri).
Join Wetpixel in Raja Ampat in 2016
Sailors for the Sea launches Ocean Watch magazine
- California beach turns white from unusual hail (via )
- Twenty20 is the world’s largest crowdsourced stock photo… (via )
- A tour of the Atlantis underwater suite Dubai (via )
- New archaeological discovery off Britain to change history (via )
- Sea levels rose 4 inches along the northeast in 2 years (via )
- Olympus releases firmware v3.0 for OM-D E-M1 (via )
- Graveyard of giant lemurs discovered in Madagascar (via )
- Video: Octopus captures a crab, out of the water (via )
- Google’s Eric Schmidt gives $10M to Monterey Bay Aquarium (via )
- NG photo of the day Manatees by Ryan Nelson (via )