Tony Wu identifies whale “super mum”
Underwater photographer and environmental researcher Tony Wu has been cataloguing the humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) that visit the waters around Kingdom of Tonga each year to breed. In the course of this he has found that the individual female featured in Darren Rice’s video has now had 7 separate calves over a 15 year period and he has dubbed her “super mommy”.
Review: Seacam strobe adaptors
Adam Hanlon reviews a Seacam adaptor that allows Seaflash 150 strobes to be used with a wide variety of housings. Amongst other things, the adaptor allows the strobes to be used in TTL mode with Nikon cameras and also to be used with housings that have only one bulkhead available for strobe triggering.
Study into shark social behaviour
A new study published in the Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology journal suggests that shark social behavior is determined by an individual’s predisposition to be social or not. This underlines the idea that individual sharks have differing behavioural characters, or to put it more bluntly, have personalities. Whilst this will come as no surprise to those that have experienced them in the wild, it does help to overcome the preconception that sharks are not sentient.
Nauticam releases the NA-5D Mk III Deep housing
Video: Amazing Whales of Foa Island, Ha’apai by Darren Rice
Aquatica previews the AD810 housing for Nikon D810
Aquatica has announced that it is working on a housing for the Nikon D810 SLR. Amongst the features planned are access to Fn and Pre buttons, thumb activated ISO lever, and an internal flash enable/disable. It will also have multiple bulkheads. AE/AF and AF ON buttons are locked by a collar.
The underwater project by Jeremy Ferris
Jeremy Ferris, an Australian based underwater photographer, combines models in flowing dresses underwater along with animals to bring awareness to our oceans.
GoPro releases HERO4
GoPro have officially announced their new HERO4 models with an expected shipping date of 5 October. The HERO4 Black features 4K video and the silver has a built-in touchscreen. Both feature improved user interfaces and manual control of “Color, Sharpness, ISO Limit, and Exposure” in Protune. Lastly the company has released a budget camera, the HERO.
- Canon USA releases guide to AF on 7D Mark II (PDF) (via )
- Blue whale populations off California near historic levels (via )
- Woman pays tribute to departed fiance with uw photo shoot (via )
- Leonardo DiCaprio’s 2014 UN climate speech (via )
- Scuba diver stays underwater for 51 hours breaks world record (via )
- ARRI unveils 6.5K sensor Alexa 65 (via )
- Issue 29 of African Diver is now available (via )
- Tangled manta ray cut free by divers in Costa Rica (via )
- Nikon updates Capture NX-D and other software (via )
- Split of iguana NG photo of the day by Lorenzo Mittiga (via )