Paper describes octopus locomotion
Review: Spyder5 monitor calibration system
As underwater image makers, we often ignore the devices that we use to store and edit our imagery on. Color management is a key ingredient in ensuring that images look their best, both on screen and in print and key ingredient in this is the calibration of monitors to ensure that they accurately reflect colors. Datacolor has just released their Spyder5 monitor calibration system, and Wetpixel has been able to test it.
Video: The Bulls of BAD by Howard Hall
Howard Hall has posted a stunning short film featuring the bull sharks (Carcharhinus leucas) of the Beqa Lagoon, Fiji onto Vimeo Featuring footage shot in 5K, Howard describes that the site sometimes gets around 100 bull sharks at one time, and that the sharks are so numerous that they chase the tiger sharks ((Galeocerdo cuvier) off!
Last chance to enter The Great Outdoors photo contest
ROV encounters sperm whale
The Nautilus Expedition has set out and is currently investigating the effects of natural gas seeps that occur in the Gulf of Mexico. The expedition is using ROVs to gather samples and data from the water column. During one of the vehicle’s dives, the ROV encountered a sperm whale (Physeter macrocephalus) at 598m (1,962 ft). The animal was curious, circling the vehicle and its TMS a few times before moving off.
FIX ships the Neo 1500 DX SWR light
FIX has announced their new Neo 1500 DX SWR light’s specifications. Billed as a video, focus or macro light in one package, it features a 100° or 30° 1500 lumen beam that can be stepped in 25% or 1% increments and switched to a red mode. Its batteries can be swapped, or charged via external charging points as required.
World’s first eight armed underwater photographer
Meet “The Octographer”, an eight armed underwater photographer trained by Sony to photograph aquarium visitors to New Zealand’s SEA LIFE aquarium.
SharkBase seeks citizen shark scientists
- NG photo of the day by Jeff Hester (via )
- Lomo releases first underwater instant camera (via )
- California newts captured wrestling underwater (via )
- Sony updates firmware for A7 and A6000 cameras (via )
- What ocean plastic pollution really looks like (via )
- Instagram announces Layout #Wetpixelgram (via )
- How Kodak is trying to reinvent itself (via )
- Camera RAW and DNG converter 8.8 now available (via )
- Adobe announces supported OS for updated Creative Cloud (via )
- Deadline to enter the Nature’s Best Photo contest Mar 31 (via )