Divester’s first photo contest enters voting
San Diego Undersea Film Festival 2006 Final Call
Steve Douglas reminds us that the San Diego Undersea Film Exhibition’s entry deadline is August 15, 2006! Here’s a quick reminder of what to submit:
* We are accepting only mini-DV NTSC tapes.
* No film should be longer than five minutes max and at least 50% of the footage must be underwater.
* Please ensure that you have all rights, to any media that is used in your film(s) (music, visual footage, personal, copyright, or any other legal right.
See the SDUFEX website for full details.
X-Ray Magazine #12 is available for download
X-Ray, a fantastic, free, online magazine, has just announced the availability of issue #12:
From cool blue wilderness of the Canadian high Arctic to the red hot deserts of Jordan - from Beluga whales close to magnificent wrecks. Also in this issue lots of Ocean Art including Chihulys Seaforms. Vi have a talk with photographer Kurt Amsler and AP Valves Martin Parker. Dives: 200m on CCR in Thailand and explore caves in Bosnia. Technique: Leigh Cunningham tells why we should watch our partial pressure and Jason Heller and Dan Beecham explains how we can rig your photogear.
Lots of other news and new gear too - as always.
Canon announces HV10 HDV camcorder
Canon has announced the HV10, its first consumer-oriented HDV camcorder. It features optical image stabilization, a 10x optical zoom, a CMOS sensor, manual exposure, custom white balance, simultaneous stills (2MP) and video, and a vertical grip orientation. It looks *very* small, and should compete will with the Sony HC3. MSRP is estimated to be USD $1299.
All of Canon’s newly-announced HDV camcorders use “Instant AF,” which incorporates external sensors as a first step toward fast autofocus. It remains to be seen whether these sensors will even work underwater, and whether manufacturers will take them into account when designing underwater housings.
10th International Underwater Film Festival in Belgrade
The 10th International Underwater Film Festival in Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro will be held at the end of this year from December 8-11, 2006. The festival is accepting film submissions, which must have been produced sometime during 2005 or 2006 with at least 30% of the footage underwater. Acceptable formats are BETA SP, DV Cam or MiniDV (PAL). Competition admission is free.
Looking for images: Sardine Run Photo Gallery, 2006
Hello, photographers! Wetpixel is looking for your top 5 images from this year’s Sardine Run off of South Africa’s Eastern Cape. We’re accepting uploaded photos until August 31, 2006. The winner will receive local fame and glory as his or her sardine run gallery is published as a feature here on Wetpixel.
Wags’ HDV Demo Video
One of our video moderators, Paul Waghorn (“Wags”), has posted a wonderful, 8-minute demo video of his underwater work with HDV camcorders. It’s well worth the download, if you have the bandwidth to pull down a 35mb (wmv) or 115mb (qt h.264) file. You can see more of his work at his website, HDV Underwater.
LA Times, Altered Oceans
The Los Angeles Times is on day 2 of publishing Altered Oceans, a five-part series on the crisis in the seas, by Kenneth R. Weiss and Usha Lee McFarling, with photography and video by Rick Loomis. It features some fantastic (and effective) conservation photography, and is definitely worth taking a look at. Unfortunately, the site is 100% Flash, and those of you on slow connections will have to wait for long load times.
- Adobe releases Lightroom 5.7 and Camera RAW 8.7 (via )
- Apple updates Camera RAW compatibility to 6.1 (via )
- Photoshelter updates the CF/SD/XQD card database (via )
- Jellyfish cam is live at the Monterey Bay Aquarium (via )
- Tutorial about another way of correcting fisheye distortion (via )
- A plug-in to correct for fisheye lens distortion (via )
- Underwater fashion photoshoot using Sony Xperia Z3 (via )
- Canon photographer Tyler Stableford on photographing whale sharks (via )
- Wetpixel black and white article on Outdoor Photographer (via )
- Underwater photography in space (via )