Wetpixel has run trips down to Isla Mujeres, Mexico for the amazing whale shark (Rhincodon typus) aggregation that occurs here for the past 8 years.
It is true to say that witnessing and photographing or filming the incredible numbers of whale sharks that aggregate here should represent an aim on every underwater image makers “bucket list”. During our 2016 trips, we had days where there were around 400 sharks.
There is a report from the 2017 trip showing how amazing this event is.
Like all Wetpixel trips, it is designed to be underwater imaging friendly, with boat timings specifically tweaked so that we can maximise the quietest times on the water when the sharks tend to be in a dense conglomeration. We are currently the only operator that specifically caters for the super productive times before and after the majority of the boats arrive and depart from the area.
Please note that these are snorkelling trips, and are hence open to divers and non-divers.
We stay in the Playa Media Luna, a comfortable and quiet hotel situated close to town and the jetties where we embark each day.
The hotel can supply a variety of accommodation options.
For 2018, we plan to run one trip to Isla Mujeres and one trip to see American crocodiles (Crocodylus acutus) at Chinchorro Banks. For the whale sharks, the trip will have one boat with only 6 guests and a group leader aboard.
The date for 2018 are:
- 08/10/2018 to 08/16/2018
The trip will be $2750.00 per person, which includes:
- Private boat charter (7:00am - 4:00pm for 5 days) with experienced captains. Boats have shade and plenty of space.
- Simple lunch on boat + non-alcoholic drinks.
- Shared golf cart rental to get around the island.
- Transfers to and from Cancun airport and Isla Mujeres ferry.
- 7 days 6 nights twin shared (6 nights: 1 day before to 1 day after) accommodation at Playa Media Luna. Single rooms, suites, bungalows and other accommodation options are available for a small supplement.
For all the above trips, a full payment is due now.
To book your places or for more information, please email me as soon as possible.