Late Availability: Wetpixel Whale Sharks
Due to a cancellation, we have two spaces available for our Whale Sharks Expedition. This trip has been sold out since last September, so it is an amazing opportunity for someone to get on board at the last moment! The trip’s dates are 26 July to 1 August and we are based at the Playa Media Luna on Isla Mujeres, Mexico.
Norbert Wu’s Favorite Images: Spotted Dolphins, Bahama Banks
In this episode of underwater photographer Norbert Wu’s favorite images column, he talks about photographing and interacting with a group of wild Atlantic spotted dolphins (Stenella frontalis) on the Bahamas Banks. He describes not only the imagery he captured, but also the amazing experience of spending time with these animals in the water
Call for entries: North Carolina Wreck and Shark Shootout
The 2016 North Carolina Wreck and Shark Shootout is soliciting entries. It will be held from 2-5 June 2016 and is focused on the wrecks and resident sand tiger sharks (Carcharias taurus) of the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The contest welcomes both still and video entries.
Ikelite announces housing for EOS 5DR and 5DR S
Ikelite has announced their housing for the Canon EOS RDS and 5DS R. Although the cameras are physically identical to the EOS 5D Mk III, the 5DS models have a different TTL protocol which causes DS strobes to overexpose when used in TTL mode. Ikelite are also offering an upgrade for current owners of 5D Mk III housings.
Sea&Sea announces the YS-D2 strobe
Sea&Sea has announced the YS-D2 strobe. Featuring a guide number of 32 (24 with 100° or 20 with 120° diffusers attached), it offers DS-TTLII mode which includes slave TTL and slave manual modes. It has a color temp of 5250°K, offers 200 flashes from a set of 4 NiMh batteries, with a recycle time of 1.5sec.
RED shows H20 OLPF footage
Wetpixel member and staffer at RED, Sean Ruggeri, has posted some video showing the results of using RED’s new optical low pass filter that has been specifically designed for use with the RED DRAGON® sensor to help color correct underwater. Interchangeable optical low pass filters are a new feature on the RED Dragon.
Sony ships 90mm macro lens
Behind the scenes of Von Wong’s photo shoot 30m deep
- Atomos upgrades Shogun firmware to AtomOS6.4 (via )
- Obama administration delivers blow to Shell’s Arctic drilling… (via )
- The most common vertebrate in the world is a fish (via )
- Adobe Dehaze: a tool for dealing with backscatter (via )
- Facebook unveils new Snapchat-esque photo editing (via )
- Starfish excrete foreign bodies through their arms (via )
- Tamales Bay revival exceeds expectations in just seven years (via )
- Swimming with sharks off Oahu, Hawaii (via )
- NG photo of the day Orcas by Paul Nicklen (via )
- 33 year-old orca dies after a lifetime in captivity (via )