iBubble autonomous underwater camera to launch on Indiegogo
iBubble, billed as an autonomous underwater camera, will be seeking funding on Indiegogo from 19 April. It will offer several different filming modes, controlled by a wrist band attached to the diver, which it can be set to follow. It is designed for use with GoPro HERO 3 and 4 cameras and will give one hour of filming at depths of up to 197ft (60m).
Whole Foods set to sell invasive Lionfish
Whole Foods markets, in their bid to offer sustainable seafood options, will sell lionfish at the seafood counters of all west coast locations within the next six months. The chain hopes to eventually expand the sale of lionfish to all 431 locations in the future. In their native habitat, lionfish serve an important role in the food chain. However, since being introduced to the Caribbean the population of the invasive fish has grown exponentially.
(Image from Shutterstock )
Lytro announces Cinema camera system
Light Field camera company Lytro has announced its Cinema camera. Designed for film and TV crews, the new camera makes it easier to blend live footage and computer-generated effects and allows directors to make changes to their footage in post-production that could previously only be made by reshooting the scene.
Paper Studies Coral Stress
A new paper published in the journal Marine Ecology Progress Series shows that the more stressors a coral reef experiences, the lower its survival rates. The study compared growth rates and other indicators on samples of Porites porites that had been pre exposed to elevated CO2 levels. (Image from Shutterstock).
Image: A huge black and white dolphin by Franco Banfi
Video: Finisterra by Erick Higuera
Canon announces the XC10 video and still camera
Canon has announced the XC10 “video and stills” camera. It is capable of UHD 4K footage onto an internal CFast card at 305Mbps. It has a 1” sensor which is also capable of producing 12 MP stills. In addition, Canon has also introduced the XF-AVC codec, with color at 4.2.2.
Tutorial: Autofocus issues
Steve Perry of Backcountry Gallery has posted a tutorial on troubleshooting problems with autofocus. The 14 minute video covers issues with lens calibration, dirty AF sensors, wrong AF modes, AF guide inaccuracy, heat refraction, using the wrong AF point, dirty lens contacts, and poor technique.
- Video: Photographing Antarctic’s Leopard Seal (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Mobile Photography Awards Feature Stunning Pics (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Canon Announces Firmware Update for EOS 1D-C (via DivePhotoGuide)
- DPG Announces December Monthly Contest Winners (via DivePhotoGuide)
- In Photos: The Hammerhead (via DivePhotoGuide)
- First Signs of Life Discovered in Antarctica’s Lake Whillans (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Shark Man serious after crash (via African Diver)
- How do you give a polar bear a ‘medical’? (via BBC)
- Great White Shark Finned in Mozambique (via African Diver)
- In Pictures: Tracking hammerheads (via BBC)