SeaWorld announces end of orca captive breeding program
SeaWorld CEO, Joel Manby has announced today that the company will end its controversial orca breeding program. Given that SeaWorld does not catch wild orcas for use in its shows, this means that when the current animals in their tanks die they will not be replaced and the shows will cease. (Image by Tinseltown / Shutterstock.com).
Behind the Shot of the Underwater Photographer of the Year 2016 winner
Davide Lopresti just recently won the Underwater Photographer of the Year award for 2016. His enchanting photograph, Gold, of a yellow seahorse blurred against a blue background in the Gulf of Trieste, Italy took home the grand prize.
Nature Conservancy and Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation create MPA in Seychelles
The Nature Conservancy, in conjunction with the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation, have created the second largest marine protected area in the West Indian Ocean. The move increases the protections in the waters surrounding the Seychelles from one percent to more than thirty percent. Image from Shutterstock.
Scientists discover how sea sapphires make themselves invisible
Sea sapphires could just be the coolest copepods you’ve ever seen (not seen) in the ocean. These creatures flash brilliant colors and then quickly move to what appears to be an invisible state. Scientists have been working to solve the trick for years.
Image: Barrel sponge with hunting fish by James Emery
Review: Fantasea FRX100 IV by Becky Kagan Schott
Video: Dive into an ocean photographer’s world by Thomas P. Peschak
Video:One Big Breath
A short film entitled One Big Breath documents former champion Philip Beauchamp’s approach and experiences of free diving and a project that uses free divers to tag sharks. Filmed using a Sony FS700 in a Amphibico Genesis housing and a Panasonic GH4 in an Aquatica AGH4 housing with underwater sequences filmed in Greece and Guadeloupe, Mexico
- In Photos: The Hammerhead (via DivePhotoGuide)
- First Signs of Life Discovered in Antarctica’s Lake Whillans (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Shark Man serious after crash (via African Diver)
- How do you give a polar bear a ‘medical’? (via BBC)
- Great White Shark Finned in Mozambique (via African Diver)
- In Pictures: Tracking hammerheads (via BBC)
- A New Video from the Herparazzi! (via )
- In Pictures: Monitoring manta rays (via BBC)
- Durban Protest Against Marine Mammal Captivity (via African Diver)
- Bioluminescence: nature lights up (via BBC)